Storing Radios - batteries?

WRWH978

Question

10 answers to this question

Some radios, like the Wouxun KG-805G, have parasitic drain on the batteries when the radio is turned off.  This will drain a connected battery more quickly, and if the battery/radio offer no protection circuit that's very bad for the battery.

Nickel and lithium based batteries should be stored at a 40% charge and not connected to anything. I personally also put tap over the connections, to prevent anything from touching the contacts and shorting or discharging the batteries further 

All batteries will eventually discharge to zero if they are in a radio or a charge cradle that isn't on and in a charge state. This damages batteries and can cause the battery to never charge again. Some highend batteries with electronics in them will sleep after they have been out of a radio or charger for some time. Those will appear to be dead, but just need to be reactivated. 

Storing batteries in the radio will not only discharge the battery, it could damage the radio. There are issues with corrosion, battery leaks and expansion. 

Lithium batteries have a great self life over NiMH and NiCAD batteries. They will keep their charge capacity nearly at full charge for a long time where as NiCAD batteries have one of the worst self discharge rate with NiMH batteries a little better than NiCAD.

Also, NiCAD batteries need to be exercised and conditioned regularly or they will eventually fail with a short service life. NiMH batteries have a little better service than NiCAD but no where near as a Lithium battery. I have a couple Lithium batteries that are approx. 10 years old and they still reconditioned above 90% capacity.

Also, if you put NiCAD and/or NiMH batteries on the shelf or they have been sitting on the shelf before their initial use for long periods of time, you may need to "reform" the battery in order for them to relearn their use and charge duty cycles or they will perform with short use duty cycles between charge cycles.

In otherwords, you need to take care if them and make them happy or they will just be pissed off and not perform as expected.

I learned this from a class that Alexander Battery or was it Multiplier, I don't remember now it was one of them, hosted at an APCO National Convention back in the 90s. Following this practice I feel has given  me great longevity for the batteries whereas I have seen people not performing good maintenance were  constantly replacing batteries prematurely.

I’d remove the battery’s because IF anything happens to them, they get too hot or too cold ect, with lithium batteries you never know, you won’t loose your radio also. I like to long term store lithium battery’s in fire proof battery socks seperate from radios.