Best gmrs handheld radio?

36 minutes ago, koni13 said:

I have a set of Baofeng UV82 and appears working nicely once programming with Chirp software. Anyone care to add comments and or experience with this radio, sense an upgrade from the UV-5R although like the compact size to the 5. 

You opened up a can of worms for the sad ham, sad gmrs guys.  You’re going to get the “it’s not a gmrs radio” ect blah blah. Also going to get the “cheap Chinese junk” guys.  And the hyt receiver guys     However  It’s a fine radio and it works and transmits just as far as any other. If it has the feel, quality, features and budget YOU need and does the job you need it to do then great.  I’m all for it.   Send it and use it and let us know who it works. 

21 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

You opened up a can of worms for the sad ham, sad gmrs guys.  You’re going to get the “it’s not a gmrs radio” ect blah blah. Also going to get the “cheap Chinese junk” guys.  And the hyt receiver guys     However  It’s a fine radio and it works and transmits just as far as any other. If it has the feel, quality, features and budget YOU need and does the job you need it to do then great.  I’m all for it.   Send it and use it and let us know who it works. 

21 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Being new to the GMRS field, based on reviews my options were both the UV82 or UV5r radios. Issues at the time were backlog with orders so opted ordering the UV82 radios. So far having programmed on chirp and for usage on the farm, appears doing well for both receiving and communications on the property. 

1 hour ago, koni13 said:

Being new to the GMRS field, based on reviews my options were both the UV82 or UV5r radios

You know those are H.A.M. radios and not GMRS radios, right?  Unless you UNLocked the UV-82 and got the UV-5R "GMRS Edition" ?

Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies, which can be used without a license. Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio reserved exclusively for FRS. These channels can be used license-free, but are limited to a half watt of transmit power and will have limited range. The GMRS is available to an individual for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more transmitting units (stations.) The rules for GMRS limit eligibility for new GMRS system licenses to individuals in order to make the service available to personal users. So if yes unlocked the radios will transmit establishing open communications and ensuring the operator has a established license and follows FCC rules. 

13 minutes ago, koni13 said:

Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies, which can be used without a license. Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio reserved exclusively for FRS. These channels can be used license-free, but are limited to a half watt of transmit power and will have limited range. The GMRS is available to an individual for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more transmitting units (stations.) The rules for GMRS limit eligibility for new GMRS system licenses to individuals in order to make the service available to personal users. So if yes unlocked the radios will transmit establishing open communications and ensuring the operator has an established license and follows FCC rules. 

The 22 FRS frequencies are exactly the same as the first 22 GMRS frequencies. There’s absolutely no difference in the frequencies but there are differences in the power limits. None of the 22 are reserved exclusively for FRS. 

34 minutes ago, koni13 said:

Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies, which can be used without a license. Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio reserved exclusively for FRS. These channels can be used license-free, but are limited to a half watt of transmit power and will have limited range. The GMRS is available to an individual for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more transmitting units (stations.) The rules for GMRS limit eligibility for new GMRS system licenses to individuals in order to make the service available to personal users. So if yes unlocked the radios will transmit establishing open communications and ensuring the operator has an established license and follows FCC rules. 

If there was supposed to be a point in there, you failed in addition to being wrong.

1 hour ago, koni13 said:

Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies, which can be used without a license. Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio reserved exclusively for FRS. These channels can be used license-free, but are limited to a half watt of transmit power and will have limited range. The GMRS is available to an individual for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of one or more transmitting units (stations.) The rules for GMRS limit eligibility for new GMRS system licenses to individuals in order to make the service available to personal users. So if yes unlocked the radios will transmit establishing open communications and ensuring the operator has a established license and follows FCC rules. 

Let's take that assertion by assertion:

"Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies..."

That would be true if you said that GMRS and FRS share the same frequencies entirely, except that FRS radios can't transmit on the repeater input frequencies. All current GMRS handheld radios support all FRS frequencies. FRS and GMRS use all of the same frequencies except for repeaters. GMRS mobile can't transmit on 8-14.

"Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio are reserved exclusively for FRS"

That's just incorrect. GMRS handheld radios may transmit on all 22 channels so long as they don't exceed 500mw on 8-14 and stay narrowband on 8-14, or 5w on 1-7. Only handheld GMRS may transmit on 8-14 (and FRS). No mobiles. But GMRS handhelds are fine. Look it up. I did.

"These channels can be license-free, ..."

No. If you are operating a handheld GMRS radio on any GMRS channel, any of the 22, including 8-14, you are supposed to be licensed. If you are operating an FRS radio on those channels, you don't need a license.

"So if yes unlocked the radios will transmit establishing open communications and ensuring the operator has a established license and follows FCC rules. "

I can't quite make sense of what you're saying there. But an unlocked amateur radio isn't supposed to be used for GMRS. I'm talking about what is authorized, not what is possible, and not what is enforced. There's really nobody enforcing the use of a handheld ham radio that's been unlocked for GMRS, so long as it's following power limit rules, and not being used to cause a lot of trouble.  But according to the rules of the FCCs, you're not supposed to use an unlocked device for GMRS. This is clear in the FCC spec. In practice, those who use any radio for GMRS, stay conformant in terms of bandwidth, power levels, frequency centers, and the stipulation that 8-14 is for handheld, not mobile, nobody really seems to actually care enough to try to enforce whether the radio was unlocked or not.

Thanks for all the feeds good thing have attained a GMRS license. Earlier in the thread was alerted, having opened up a can of worms for the Ham, GMRS, HYT receiver guys alerting whom would define “it’s not a GMRS radio”  should have listened.... oh well.  In my opinion as a newbie sense a great addition radio, which works and transmits just as far as other more expensive brands. Ya'll have a good one, again thanks has been an entertaining topic of discussion. 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JoCoBrian said:

I have some GM-30's.  They are prob not the best but they work for us.  They were cheap, not Baofeng cheap, but close enough.

I agree.  The Baofeng equivalent is the GM-15 Pro.  They use the same programming software.  I’ve had good service with the GM-15 Pros.