Map of all Minnesota GMRS Users

9 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Oh man... A lot of people are going to shart-themselves when the reality that the FCCs makes their info public and easily accessible to anyone that has their callsign starts to sink-in...

I posted it in the Midwest GMRS Club FB group for people over there as well and let's just say there are some... "mixed" opinions!

I would be pissed if you put me on that list! Why would you do that? Most people that use GMRS are not interested in being contacted by random strangers. They use it to stay in touch with friends and family and that's all they want it for. Then to add it to google and Farce book who harvest and sell everyone's data already.

Many things are easily done, doesn't mean you should. Not cool in my opinion.

1 hour ago, WSCB811 said:

I pulled a query from the FCC's database for all active GMRS licenses within the state of Minnesota and plotted the data on a Google Map. I made the map public, and it can be viewed at this link.

Hope this can be of use to some people! I certainly think it's interesting :)

This is exactly why you need a P.O. Box or Ham Registry etc. 

I do believe (might be mistaken) the FCC web site specifically tells you that your address etc is public, it is your job on how you go about that privacy (I would think 🤔).

31 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

I would be pissed if you put me on that list!  Most people that use GMRS are not interested in being contacted by random strangers. ...Then to add it to google and Farce book who harvest and sell everyone's data already.

Good one!  The funny part is that its like you dont realize that you put yourself on that list and all that information that you gave to the FCCs such as your home-address is tied to your GMRS callsign, and was already on Google, Facebook, and probably a lot of other places..

1 minute ago, WRWE456 said:

why keep making it even easier

It was already extremely easy.. It would be harder for me to find someone by callsign on that map that it would be to find someone by callsign on the FCC website.

Your argument does not stand up to scrutiny and is therefore, invalid.

Not really that hard and I’m on my phone. 

One I pulled up had the name and address etc but you can click the link and it opens in Google Maps. 
Pick a blue dot and click on the direction arrow.

This is exactly why I went and registered on Ham Registry through OffRoaderX YouTube channel (plus a month free I think 🤔)

IMG_9597.jpeg

IMG_9601.jpeg

26 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

It would be harder for me to find someone by callsign on that map that it would be to find someone by callsign on the FCC website.

21 minutes ago, WSCH851 said:

Not really that hard and I’m on my phone. 

Interesting!

Just now, WRWE456 said:

Interesting!

Ya but we (HAMS/GMRS) are more of a respectful type people I would imagine, plus we are to busy on the radio to look at our phones to search etc.
If your that concerned, go OffRoaderX's YouTube channel and get a HamRegistry Discount.

The funny thing is that if you enter this young man's name into the Google search engine, you can come up with a lot more information than just his address. Where he went to school, who his fellow students were, when he graduated, where he works, when he started, what his job title is, his baseball stats, his college activities, other business he's involved with, I mean this guy's life is an open book. And that was with about two minutes of searching. I'm not saying it's cool to put every GMRS license on a publicly accessible map without at least asking them, but let's be real... all someone needs is your name.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:33 PM, WRWE456 said:

I would be pissed if you put me on that list! Why would you do that? Most people that use GMRS are not interested in being contacted by random strangers. They use it to stay in touch with friends and family and that's all they want it for. Then to add it to google and Farce book who harvest and sell everyone's data already.

Many things are easily done, doesn't mean you should. Not cool in my opinion.

But its legal it there is nothing you can do about it... Other than change your address to a PO Box or use mailing service.   

Remember the days when your name, your wife's name, address and phone number were published for all to see in a book then promptly mailed free of charge without anyone asking,  to everyones house!

I was just searching my name today for fun, it's pretty funny, it says I'm single, I'm not, it says I went to a high school I never went to or even lived anywhere close to it. It says my net worth is pennies while my yearly income is some giant number. And says my family members include people who's names I've never heard of. It says my past address while correct, was from 2000 when I havn't lived there since college in 1989. The interweb gets ALOT wrong. But i'm sure the media would be happy to publish it as fact. 🤣

Minnesota -

While it is interesting to see all the FCC Licensed GMRS People/Families and their locations, if you were to try and chat up or try and start a conversation on GMRS like you would Amateur (Ham) Radio, you would probably be met with the following comment: "Get OFF Our Channel!".

I've actually heard a few amateur radio operators I know of here in the Twin Cities area, that tried to bring their ham radio operating ways, over to the folks on GMRS. To say it was not well received, was an understatement. Afterwards, the well known Hams left GMRS with their tail dragging between their legs. A few days later, these very same ham operators were on all the local amateur radio forums writing about how GMRS Sucks and the people there are like CB'ers. They berated GMRS. GMRS is not, Ham Radio Lite. Most people get a GMRS radio to communicate with: Family, Friends, or Groups they are involved with. Not, conversation with random strangers. Although, that can sometimes happen, but not very frequently. GMRS and Amateur Radio are two completely different radio services, which may be a very big disappointment to some who want to turn GMRS into HamLite.

On our Trail Patrols, Ski Patrols, and Event First Aid Stations, we never come up and chat with random people unless we can Hear Distress or the word Emergency spoken. Then we pop up on their GMRS radio channel, identify ourselves and ask if they need assistance. If the person doesn't need assistance, we immediately wish them good luck, sign-off with our FCC callsign and no longer talk. People can get extremely territorial on GMRS, especially if there are family members or club members involved in conversation on the radio. It's rare that strangers are welcomed into an existing conversation. So, we tread lightly and are respectful when popping up on someone else's channel. So, if you want to chat with someone you've never met before on GMRS, my advice is: be polite and extremely respectful when busting into an existing radio conversation 🙂

462.675 / Channel #20. Calling/Travel/Motorist. No CTCSS/Tone. Simplex. In Minnesota.

For those people also in Minnesota, especially the Twin Cities. Try tossing your FCC Callsign out on Channel #20, Simplex. You might be pleasantly surprised if or when someone comes back to answer your call 🙂  Hope to hear you On-The-Air. WRPG537, Dan.

Minnesota -
While it is interesting to see all the FCC Licensed GMRS People/Families and their locations, if you were to try and chat up or try and start a conversation on GMRS like you would Amateur (Ham) Radio, you would probably be met with the following comment: "Get OFF Our Channel!".
I've actually heard a few amateur radio operators I know of here in the Twin Cities area, that tried to bring their ham radio operating ways, over to the folks on GMRS. To say it was not well received, was an understatement. Afterwards, the well known Hams left GMRS with their tail dragging between their legs. A few days later, these very same ham operators were on all the local amateur radio forums writing about how GMRS Sucks and the people there are like CB'ers. They berated GMRS. GMRS is not, Ham Radio Lite. Most people get a GMRS radio to communicate with: Family, Friends, or Groups they are involved with. Not, conversation with random strangers. Although, that can sometimes happen, but not very frequently. GMRS and Amateur Radio are two completely different radio services, which may be a very big disappointment to some who want to turn GMRS into HamLite.
On our Trail Patrols, Ski Patrols, and Event First Aid Stations, we never come up and chat with random people unless we can Hear Distress or the word Emergency spoken. Then we pop up on their GMRS radio channel, identify ourselves and ask if they need assistance. If the person doesn't need assistance, we immediately wish them good luck, sign-off with our FCC callsign and no longer talk. People can get extremely territorial on GMRS, especially if there are family members or club members involved in conversation on the radio. It's rare that strangers are welcomed into an existing conversation. So, we tread lightly and are respectful when popping up on someone else's channel. So, if you want to chat with someone you've never met before on GMRS, my advice is: be polite and extremely respectful when busting into an existing radio conversation
462.675 / Channel #20. Calling/Travel/Motorist. No CTCSS/Tone. Simplex. In Minnesota.
For those people also in Minnesota, especially the Twin Cities. Try tossing your FCC Callsign out on Channel #20, Simplex. You might be pleasantly surprised if or when someone comes back to answer your call   Hope to hear you On-The-Air. WRPG537, Dan.

Glad to see another metro area GMRS’er! Hope to chat over the air soon! -Mac

On 4/29/2024 at 6:26 PM, WSCB811 said:

Getting into using it here in the Metro more myself. Have a couple of the repeaters in. BUt looking to upgrade beyond the MXT275 as I need split tones and more than the 8 repeater channels!. Mostly have been using GMRS up north out of cell phone range for mobile to base and marine mobile to base comms with Wifeypoo, and a bit of commo at home when in various parts of the slightly bigger than normal city lot.

Hope to "see you on the radio"

Dave WRJG283  (ex WQUR589 - long story...)

On 4/28/2024 at 2:33 PM, WRPG537 said:

Minnesota -

On our Trail Patrols, Ski Patrols, and Event First Aid Stations, we never come up and chat with random people unless we can Hear Distress or the word Emergency spoken. Then we pop up on their GMRS radio channel, identify ourselves and ask if they need assistance. If the person doesn't need assistance, we immediately wish them good luck, sign-off with our FCC callsign and no longer talk. People can get extremely territorial on GMRS, especially if there are family members or club members involved in conversation on the radio. It's rare that strangers are welcomed into an existing conversation. So, we tread lightly and are respectful when popping up on someone else's channel. So, if you want to chat with someone you've never met before on GMRS, my advice is: be polite and extremely respectful when busting into an existing radio conversation 🙂

For those people also in Minnesota, especially the Twin Cities. Try tossing your FCC Callsign out on Channel #20, Simplex. You might be pleasantly surprised if or when someone comes back to answer your call 🙂  Hope to hear you On-The-Air. WRPG537, Dan.

Good to see you on here Dan.  Have to bend yer ear at the next Hams in the Park, looking for recommends for upgrading my mobile GMRS radio - outgrowing the limitations of the MXT275. It's okay, but need split tones and more repeater programmability.

Pretty much replied already to this thread on FB, so won't repeat that here.

Dave  WRJG283/N0TXW

On 4/29/2024 at 6:26 PM, WSCB811 said:

Forgot to ask where you hang your Mic?   I do as Dan mentions, monitor Ch 20, but usually listening on Metro 4 and Falcon Hgts machines. Not a lot of traffic, but get an occasional chat in there!

Dave WRJG283