power source for gmrs mobile radio

WRZT411

Question

This one should be easy for you guys.  What's the best way to connect a radio to power?  Direct to the battery is simplest it that leaves an opening to discharge the battery if the unit is left powered on.  Details, please, as far as the connection method, etc.

Thx.

8 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, WRZT411 said:

Direct to the battery is simplest it that leaves an opening to discharge the battery if the unit is left powered on. 

Direct to the battery with fuses is widely spoken of as very effective, because it's most likely the cleanest power you'll get. Some radio manufacturers put fuses on both the positive and negative leads as well, rather than just one. Putting a switch in the curcuit is a good idea so you can completely remove power from the radio. Some radios draw current even when they're turned off. I found this out when my QYT KT8900 killed my go box AGM battery in about a week, so far down it wouldn't charge. I also have an inline filter that I built. I've included the link below. It filters out almost all alternator noise.

http://www.sanantoniohams.org/tips/whine.htm

Most radios have a non use timer that you can program to turn off after 5,15,30,45min ect of non use.   I grew up driving old cars that you had to manually turn off the lights so I’m used to checking and turning off my radio when I get out of the trucks.  It’s just second nature.  But if you can’t do that a pod switch system will work.  Some people swear it creates noise so you may or may not have that issue.  

It depends on how you define "best" ...
I connected mine via my SPOD switch system. For me this was "best" because it was much easier and the wire-runs were shorter and already established.

Agreed. I have a solid state SwitchPros system, so I take power for my GMRS radio and Wilson cell booster from that, for the same reason as Randy. Each has its own switch on the panel, with the system running off a dedicated circuit breaker.

Cell booster is top left.

3ec87a35f60d5ee91bd4fdff88cd01b6.jpg

The best way would be to run the power wire direct to the battery, and have the ground as short as possible. Make sure to use a DMM to measure voltage drop and get the drop as small as possible to eliminate ground loops. Some Vehicles have built in switch systems you can use, for example Ford F series Super Duty trucks have the uplifter switches. If your vehicle is not equipped you can use a SPDT relay. The relay would be triggered by the key turning on, so if you forgot to turn the radio off when you turn the key off it will disconnect power. The power wire should have a fuse within 12inchs of the battery, for safety.