Mobile GMRS Radio

Taz670

Question

13 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

As someone just starting out, i highly recommend getting a few Baufang Radios..  Cheap and very good radios and they'll provide you learning skills so you can join the group and have many many radios..  Welcome to GMRS and i hope you have fun..   

I couldn't agree more with that. People can spend a lot of money starting out with GMRS or amateur radio while trying to figure out what they want. And if you are unsure, then start out with a cheaper radio until you figure out what you want.

18 minutes ago, Bloodhound73 said:

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a good mobile GMRS radio and antenna? Thanks

Not without knowing how YOU define the word "good", and/or what is important to you in an antenna and radio.. My "good" is probably very different from your "good".

20 minutes ago, Bloodhound73 said:

Hey everyone, i am new to GMRS so forgive me if this is a burnt-out question. Can anyone give me some suggestions on a good mobile GMRS radio and antenna? Thanks!

How do you intend to use it?

What's your budget?

What's your background?  Are you someone who likes diving deep into the minutiae of a tech hobby or do you want something you can plug in, stick to your roof, and plug into your cigarette lighter?

Thanks for the replies everyone & I apologize for that wide open question with lack of detail as to what I had in mind. My idea for a mobile radio is that I’m real new to GMRS so I was thinking budget between $400-$500 on the mobile itself then add in the cost for an antenna. I didn’t want to go too deep right now while I’m still learning everything about radios and GMRS. I have plenty of room in my mid suv for the radio & was even wondering if I could connect it to its own battery instead of the car battery. I’ve got handheld GMRS radios on the way that were a gift. I live on the east coast and for now I was just wanting to use the mobile to reach around town, back to my house while around town & a 40 mile or so radius if possible. Of course I plan on using these handhelds & mobile as another way of communication, to talk to new people, improve my knowledge and upgrade a little later when I know more of what I’m doing & what to look for. But I’m still new so please bare with me for not knowing the range, knowledge & details of GMRS radios yet. Thanks everyone!

$4-$500 for just the radio means pretty much any popular GMRS mobile is in your budget. It might be worth asking what your level of investment is for installation. The DB20-g mentioned above is what I have in my truck, plugs into a cigarette lighter. Get a cup holder mount, a mag mount antenna, figure out coax routing to your radio and you can be stood up in an afternoon. For a 50 watts mobile, you’ll have to do some wiring to the battery. For another antenna other than a mag mount, you’re drilling holes. Budget wouldn’t drive this decision as much as how much work will you do to install it. 

And that’s all assuming you say mobile and intend to install this in a vehicle. If you want to install this in a home as a base station, budget for a DC power supply, and put aside more money for a mast, coax, and anything else you need to stand up an antenna. 

Welcome to the rabbit hole. 

4 hours ago, Bloodhound73 said:

But I’m still new so please bear with me for not knowing the range, knowledge & details of GMRS radios yet.

As someone said, welcome to the rabbit hole…there are so many options it can be a little bit overwhelming.  I would suggest starting with some handhelds (let us know what you have coming) and maybe buy a mag base antenna.  This would let you see what your “farz” might be and then build on that.  

There are many great options for mobile units (that can also be used as a base unit).   I would walk into it and figure out what would work best for your situation.  

Good luck and believe me when I say that there are lots of good people ready and willing to help.  

16 minutes ago, WRDJ205 said:

As someone said, welcome to the rabbit hole…there are so many options it can be a little bit overwhelming.  I would suggest starting with some handhelds (let us know what you have coming) and maybe buy a mag base antenna.  This would let you see what your “farz” might be and then build on that.  

There are many great options for mobile units (that can also be used as a base unit).   I would walk into it and figure out what would work best for your situation.  

Good luck and believe me when I say that there are lots of good people ready and willing to help.  

Thank you for the reply and advice, it is much appreciated. I have two Retevis HA1G GMRS radios coming. I was thinking about a mag base antenna to go with a mobile for my car but just unsure which one. I am trying not dive into it too fast because I would like to learn all I can. I would like to do things the right way, understand what I’m doing and not just grab a radio and jump on the air. I’d like to learn what I can, set up everything correctly and possibly make some friends along the way. Some things have already seemed a little overwhelming but I’m still excited to get into it and to be here. Thanks again! 

8 hours ago, Bloodhound73 said:

Thank you for the reply and advice, it is much appreciated. I have two Retevis HA1G GMRS radios coming. I was thinking about a mag base antenna to go with a mobile for my car but just unsure which one. I am trying not dive into it too fast because I would like to learn all I can. I would like to do things the right way, understand what I’m doing and not just grab a radio and jump on the air. I’d like to learn what I can, set up everything correctly and possibly make some friends along the way. Some things have already seemed a little overwhelming but I’m still excited to get into it and to be here. Thanks again! 

There are a couple of small 20 watt mobile radios that are very convenient.  They’re not too expensive and they simply plug into your power port in your car. I bought the Radioddity db20g.  It was $87 when I bought it so I grabbed two. 😁

I also grabbed a couple of Midland MXTA26 antennas and Midland magnetic bases when they were on sale.  The Midland antenna is a very decent GMRS antenna, but i converted one of my db20g radios to be a dual band ham radio and the Midland antenna is not good for 2 meters.  In the end I took one of the MXTA26 antennas off the base and replaced it with a Comet SBB-5 for 2 meters and 70 cm.

I hope you enjoy the myriad possibilities of GMRS.

all of us here were in your shoes at one time.  And i think most of us have spent a 'TON' of money progressing to our 'True Love''   I started of with AnyTone & Baufang radios, then to Wouxun, Motorola, Maxon and now my 'True Love'  Hytera.   Although i still maintain my Maxon Repeater, I'm getting ready to switch it to a Hytera Repeater..    As someone just starting out, i highly recommend getting an AnyTone mobile and few Baufang Radios..  Cheap and very good radios and they'll provide you learning skills so you can join the group and have many many radios..  Welcome to GMRS and i hope you have fun..   

You will have to figure out YOUR budget, what features are most important to you.   Do you want to drill your roof?  Do you have a soft top, aluminum top steel top? What type of vehicle?    DO you have space in the vehicle for a radio or do you need remote mount?   I can tell you that for me in my trucks i use 20w water proof radios that cost about $125 and a cheap $30 mag mount and i can do more then 50 miles and have zero issues with them.   Are they the best? No.  Do they do the job for me?  Yes very much so and i abuse them with windows down in the rain and dust and all every day.