New to the GMRS world. Looking for solid training

WSDB779

Question

I'm new to GMRS, just got a Retevis RA87 40w for my truck. Looking for some good, solid training resources for programming, antennas 101, best practivces, and essentiall how to go from FNG to semi-pro in a short amount of time. I'm also eyeing the possibility of using GMRS within my town's CERT - does anyone have experience with that, and what pro tips can you share?

7 answers to this question

There’s a bunch of great content on YouTube. Some jeep channel has some stuff, ham radio crash course, ham radio 2.0 etc. all have gmrs content and some antenna stuff. 

You can get really in the weeds with some of the technical stuff. 

if you want training on how to use radios in different situations, you can search you tube for terms like “Pace plan” “soi” etc. TechPrepper has some good stuff on that, but you might look for some in person training since it’s hard to do that kind of thing by your self. 

GMRS is more based around bring your contacts than making new contacts with strange men.

I've heard that there are good resources on Youtube, but that is probably just an internet rumor.

While this is true, if one wants good training they should have discipline. I recommend affixing a shock collar to the sack area, then pressing the button each time the words “fars” or “confuckulation” are used. This works.

33 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I recommend (in addition to YouTube) picking up a ARRL Technician license book at the library.  Not to study for the test, but there are a lot of solid concepts in there regarding antennas, propagation, theory, etc.  Just skip the boring parts (electrical components, formulas, etc.).

Decent advice.