Staying "legal"

Since the jokers here want to bury this with down votes in Technical Discussion, posting here instead.

Some users try to stay "legal" while the enforcement agency still exists.  The fact that someone you're talking to doesn't know what type of setup you're using (unless they ask, which they often do at least on HAM) doesn't make it OK.  The rationale that you're not likely to get caught can be used for many other things if you choose to take the risk.  But that won't-get-caught approach is not how our system of government is intended to operate.

I'm sorry bud... you're just wrong and people are messing with you because you won't let it go. 

I certainly won't give anyone grief for following the rules, but its not illegal or against the rules to talk to people through a repeater from a radio in your house.   It's not a matter of people snubbing their nose at the rules, but the fact that what you are saying is not only wrong, but unenforceable for reasons presented elsewhere.  You starting another thread isn't going to make it any less wrong.

1 hour ago, UncleYoda said:

Since the jokers here want to bury this with down votes in Technical Discussion, posting here instead.

Some users try to stay "legal" while the enforcement agency still exists.  The fact that someone you're talking to doesn't know what type of setup you're using (unless they ask, which they often do at least on HAM) doesn't make it OK.  The rationale that you're not likely to get caught can be used for many other things if you choose to take the risk.  But that won't-get-caught approach is not how our system of government is intended to operate.

What?   And?  Here’s another down vote ⬇️ 

55 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I'm sorry bud... you're just wrong and people are messing with you because you won't let it go. 

I certainly won't give anyone grief for following the rules, but its not illegal or against the rules to talk to people through a repeater from a radio in your house.   It's not a matter of people snubbing their nose at the rules, but the fact that what you are saying is not only wrong, but unenforceable for reasons presented elsewhere.  You starting another thread isn't going to make it any less wrong.

Yup.  Here’s your ⬆️ up vote. 

And what kind of oil should I be using to lube the antenna mast bolts???? 🤣

The cat is out of the bag as far as people using unlocked/modified radios and the different services. As long as they aren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves or causing issues for other people, then no one will know any different.

37 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

As long as they aren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves or causing issues for other people, then no one will know any different.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!1  STOP LYING!!!  if you use an illegal radio the FCC will triangulate your position and WILL issue a $10,000 fine or you could face prison!  Its your choice to take the risk!

...i have literally seen "licensed ham-radio operators" tell people this online, so it MUST be true.. because they have a license!

22 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!1  STOP LYING!!!  if you use an illegal radio the FCC will triangulate your position and WILL issue a $10,000 fine or you could face prison!  Its your choice to take the risk!

...i have literally seen "licensed ham-radio operators" tell people this online, so it MUST be true.. because they have a license!

Do you know where i can source a fake FCC license?  Haven't had to think about a fake ID since I turned 21, so its been a while.  All my sources from way back then are in jail.

😀

33 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

Do you know where i can source a fake FCC license?  Haven't had to think about a fake ID since I turned 21, so its been a while.  All my sources from way back then are in jail.

😀

I can do better than that. For the low price of $35 you can get a real one!

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

And what kind of oil should I be using to lube the antenna mast bolts???? 🤣

The cat is out of the bag as far as people using unlocked/modified radios and the different services. As long as they aren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves or causing issues for other people, then no one will know any different.

Pouring oil on tower bolts and guy wires is not a joke. Regular 30w got the job done to eliminate intermod at a couple of sites. If you need the name of those two sites, I'll be more than happy to provide them.

5 hours ago, marcspaz said:

certainly a growing number of idiots willing to take a risk so you can talk to someone from your living room in New York to a friend in Penn.  (hypothetically speaking of course, for you anyway).  Some guys have 25-30 repeaters registered under their lic. Of course, since you and your friend (hypothetically) are talking 100's of miles apart, you have no clue how that is happening..  It's pure FM  -  right???   😅

45 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

certainly a growing number of idiots willing to take a risk so you can talk to someone from your living room

Considering that the risk is about 99.99999999999999999999999999999999998% in everyone's favor of NOT "getting caught", you'd have to be an idiot to not take that risk.  and it is likely that very few "normal" people would even consider those odds a "risk" at all.. 

3 hours ago, nokones said:

Pouring oil on tower bolts and guy wires is not a joke. Regular 30w got the job done to eliminate intermod at a couple of sites. If you need the name of those two sites, I'll be more than happy to provide them.

It was a Joke, I say a joke son. ---- Foghorn Leghorn

I brought up oil since the subject usually starts arguments on any and all automotive, watercraft, and firearm forums.

And yes I know the importance of when and where to use the proper types of lubricant oils since I am a retired machinist and millwright.

5 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

But but but,, I heard it in a YouTube video and read it on forums so it must be true!  🤣

I hear rumors that the Wouxun KG-Q10H quad band HT can actually be unlocked to also work well on MURS and GMRS. But I wouldn't know anything about that. 😇

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Considering that the risk is about 99.99999999999999999999999999999999998% in everyone's favor of NOT "getting caught", you'd have to be an idiot to not take that risk.  and it is likely that very few "normal" people would even consider those odds a "risk" at all.. 

Thats your opinion Randy.....  Not always a safe one..   Sounds like your are promoting rule breaking,,, Are you?  

17 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

Thats your opinion Randy.....  Not always a safe one..   Sounds like your are promoting rule breaking,,, Are you?

It's not an opinion. it is fact based on the FCC's public (lack of) enforcement record.

What I am doing is telling people to use their own brains and try not to be brainwashed bootlickers ALL the time. But if i do decide to promote rule-breaking I'll be sure to tell you first so we can watch you cry about it. mmhkay?

The FCC is like any other government agency, You can ask 10 agents the same exact question and get 20 different answers. Sometimes it will depend on time of day or day of the week on what answer you get. I dealt with that back when I had my FFL when talking to the ATF.

Most will never get into trouble if they are NOT drawing any attention to themselves. CB is a perfect example. That band is limited to 4 watts output power but plenty of people use amplifiers and it is actually pretty rare that someone gets fined by the FCC for that. Those that we do see get into trouble were doing something to draw the FCC's attention or did something do get law enforcement to investigate

. I am not condoning or condemning those that disregard FCC rules and regulations. It is well known that as long as you aren't causing any issues and/or drawing attention to yourself then the FCC will never bother you. One can look at the public records concerning FCC enforcement to see this is true. Amateur radio, GMRS, and CB operators are actually pretty low on the FCC's priority list.

20 minutes ago, nokones said:

When "Some People" call a government agency and seek an answer for their question, in most cases they don't know how to properly address the question in the proper context.

I'm sure you have examples and statistics to back up this claim. Share with us, won't you?