Linking GMRS Repeaters

20 hours ago, CentralFloridaGMRS said:

I'm working on getting my Ham now. I passed all the mock test. I know nothing about DMR however. 

Don't worry about knowing about DMR or any of the other modes for the ham tests until you reach the Extra level. DMR is not an easy protocol to program as there are 3 elements to sync for every contact you want to use.

2 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Don't worry about knowing about DMR or any of the other modes for the ham tests until you reach the Extra level. DMR is not an easy protocol to program as there are 3 elements to sync for every contact you want to use.

This is absolutely correct.  In traditional DMR programming you end up with a channel for every combination of talkgroup and repeater.  It’s not uncommon to have a hundred different channels for every repeater. Then, in order to use any channel it must be added to a zone.  It’s much, much easier in OpenGD77/OpenUV380.  You build talkgroup lists and then you simply associate each repeater to a talkgroup list.  Fortunately, extracts or even the entire database of talkgroups are very easily downloaded.

But as @BoxCar said you don’t need to know anything about how DMR works to take any of the ham exams.  If it’s even mentioned on the Extra exam I don’t remember it.  There might be a question about digital modes in general, but if you never learn anything about it you can still easily pass the test.

52 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

But as @BoxCar said you don’t need to know anything about how DMR works to take any of the ham exams.  If it’s even mentioned on the Extra exam I don’t remember it.  There might be a question about digital modes in general, but if you never learn anything about it you can still easily pass the test.

The only protocols mentioned in the last expired EXTRA question pool were PACTOR and one other. Nothing about what they were or how they were formatted, just about what equipment was needed.