So,.....what now ?

3 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

The announcement from Rich clearly stated MYGMRS web site is NOT shutting down.   No wonder people don't comprehend the GMRS FCC rules.   People don't or can't read.   

I read very well, thank you. The headline read "myGMRS Network Shutting down". I just wanted clarification about this site, myGMRS.com, and how long would it be until the repeater systems that I belong to would possibly be shutting down. That's all, nothing more.

Thanks for your crass comment.

9 minutes ago, quarterwave said:

The utter lack of understanding is amazing. I realize new people to radio have to learn, but I would think there would be some basic logical understanding. 

It's like all the people that think McDonalds owns all of the McDonalds restaurants or Chevrolet owns all the Chevrolet dealerships. 

I was asking specifically about this site, and possibly my specific repeater systems, with the headline "myGMRS network Shutting Down".

Thank you for your whitty comment.

Sorry, my snarky smart aleck monster got out. Down boy! 

"So, with this new information, is this site shutting down, along with all of the GMRS repeater systems throughout the country ?" Indicates the web site and ALL GMRS systems, unless I can't read English, that's what you wrote. 

Again, just being a smart aleck. We all ask things sometimes and realize we meant something a little different. 

26 minutes ago, quarterwave said:

"So, with this new information, is this site shutting down, along with all of the GMRS repeater systems throughout the country ?" Indicates the web site and ALL GMRS systems, unless I can't read English, that's what you wrote. 

Again, just being a smart aleck. We all ask things sometimes and realize we meant something a little different. 

These same guys most likely will never survive in the Amateur Radio world where they'll have to move to enjoy their new found 'Hobby'.  The Amateur Radio world will require a little more attention span from individuals, else they'll get ate up by the dragons..  Of course, just being sarcastic but still funny to think about.  

34 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

These same guys most likely will never survive in the Amateur Radio world where they'll have to move to enjoy their new found 'Hobby'.  The Amateur Radio world will require a little more attention span from individuals, else they'll get ate up by the dragons..  Of course, just being sarcastic but still funny to think about.  

I’ll hold my own. I’m pretty sure of that.

1 hour ago, quarterwave said:

I figured with the FCC determining that GRMS repeater systems were illegal , there wouldn’t be very much to report on here. That’s maybe wrong for me inferring that this site wasn’t long for. But, I thought I’d ask. I was hoping not. For what it’s worth, I got on my repeater system, and they said that we’re staying up, until we get a letter from the FCC. So, everything is good, the sky isn’t falling, at least not yet.

15 minutes ago, WSDD439 said:

I figured with the FCC determining that GRMS repeater systems were illegal , there wouldn’t be very much to report on here. That’s maybe wrong for me inferring that this site wasn’t long for. But, I thought I’d ask. I was hoping not. For what it’s worth, I got on my repeater system, and they said that we’re staying up, until we get a letter from the FCC. So, everything is good, the sky isn’t falling, at least not yet.

According to the FCC meeting that was recorded and shown online they have pending cases around the United States

2 hours ago, WSDD439 said:

Most hams that I’ve talked or listened to, are more than willing to help out, not elitist at all….

just pay attention and you should be fine...  Asking same questions twice maybe o.k.  but 3 times plus???  Nahhhh...     

On 8/22/2024 at 12:42 AM, WRUU653 said:

Good luck with getting your ham license. If you aren’t already aware check out Hamstudy.org they have just updated their app yesterday. I found it very helpful and it’s even better now.

Yes. HamStudy.org has been helpful in learning about things you need to learn and studying for the amateur radio permission slip.

Got my technician license on 7/15/2024 and got my general on 8/15/2024 and ham study was a big help.

3 hours ago, WSDD439 said:

I figured with the FCC determining that GRMS repeater systems were illegal , there wouldn’t be very much to report on here.

No such determination has occurred or will occur.  GMRS repeater systems are not illegal.  The FCC added words to their interpretation page saying that repeaters could not be connected together using the internet.  That's all.  The number of repeaters shouldn't change.

2 hours ago, WSDD439 said:

I’ve already been offered help on my radio and antenna setups…..

wouldn’t call that elitist at all….

Don’t mind Randy, it could be a ham touched his antenna once and he’s never been the same or it’s just that his persona requires a dig at hams at least once a day? He’s really alright. We think. 

29 minutes ago, SvenMarbles said:

It's alarming how many people believed that the entire point of GMRS was to have linked repeaters and to treat it like ham radio..

You've not been using GMRS correctly the entire time, so yes, maybe it is all over for some people, and I'm kinda glad..

Agreed. It has never been in the spirit of GMRS or any of its rules for any sort of repeater linking, via RF or otherwise. The community took what they thought was a loophole, exploited it, and are now big-mad when the FCC (very politely) tells them they're wrong.

What makes it more absurd is seeing the comments on a Change.org petition (which is not the mechanism for pushing change with the FCC) acting like GMRS is amateur radio and all the comments about "making new connections" and such... sheesh.

I am all for wide area coverage, but with a much more intentional way of doing it, and as others have said on here there's a way to accomplish it but GMRS community will have to suck up some things as well (like narrowbanding the service).

12 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Agreed. It has never been in the spirit of GMRS or any of its rules for any sort of repeater linking, via RF or otherwise. The community took what they thought was a loophole, exploited it, and are now big-mad when the FCC (very politely) tells them they're wrong.

What makes it more absurd is seeing the comments on a Change.org petition (which is not the mechanism for pushing change with the FCC) acting like GMRS is amateur radio and all the comments about "making new connections" and such... sheesh.

I am all for wide area coverage, but with a much more intentional way of doing it, and as others have said on here there's a way to accomplish it but GMRS community will have to suck up some things as well (like narrowbanding the service).

I kind of like the idea of my wife and son being able to raise me on the radio from home to car or vise versa and not have colostomy bag larry "jumping on" to ask my wife about what radio or antenna she's using 😑

GMRS isn't a hobby band. Some of us actually just want to use GMRS for a utilitarian purpose (the correct usage). The repeater slots were getting jammed up with all of these linked systems. I had identical traffic on 2 of the 8 channels where I am. I'm more in favor of more localized standalone repeaters, and frankly maybe not so many of them. Leave some room for some of us who might want to put up a private Retevis thing for our own purposes some day.

I frankly don't understand why so many hams got drawn over to GMRS to begin with, but they sure did because you'll learn of them being a ham within the first 2 minutes of talking.. Novelty I guess? Because they have the 440.. Just go do all of this stuff over there. Leave GMRS/FRS for the family/group coms stuff. It got so pervasive with the "WHISKEY SIERRA BRAVO FOXTROT"  and "what's your callsign!" stuff that it made things unwelcoming for the casual "family licensees" to just get on and use the radio service that was FOR THEM.

17 minutes ago, SvenMarbles said:

. It got so pervasive with the "WHISKEY SIERRA BRAVO FOXTROT"  and "what's your callsign!" stuff that it made things unwelcoming for the casual "family licensees" to just get on and use the radio service that was FOR THEM.

Locally, I find more of that from GMRS only licensees that are wannabe hams vs the actual dual licensees