So,.....what now ?

6 hours ago, Raybestos said:

Because those on the linked system have no idea about anyone they may be denying access to/interfering with, nor do they give a flip.  They have their noisy little toy that lets them pretend they are hams by talking unnaturally long distances, using the same technology that facilitates most long distance calla, VOIP.  That is all that matters to them.

If they are using my frequency, I’d hear them. When I tried simplex, I got no response. I doubt that there are many people using GMRS, without a repeater. If they are in the same woods, they’d be able to talk over us, if needed.

6 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

But court cases are won and lost based on semantics.  
I also don’t use linked repeaters for GMRS, so whatever happens I don’t have a dog in the fight or “legal standing.”

I’m hoping that my dog shows its teeth ! 😁

6 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

The problem with Pirates is… they got such a cool name. 😂

I’d rather be a Buccaneer !! 🤣

15 hours ago, WSDD439 said:

If they are using my frequency, I’d hear them. When I tried simplex, I got no response. I doubt that there are many people using GMRS, without a repeater. If they are in the same woods, they’d be able to talk over us, if needed.

You wouldn't hear someone using simplex near a repeater linked to the one you are on.

40 minutes ago, WSDD439 said:

I scan the simplex frequencies, as well. There’s nothing on them.

I would also know that if I wanted to talk GMRS simplex, all I have to do is stay off one frequency. All of the others are in different counties, and wouldn’t be heard.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:24 PM, WSDD439 said:

I am studying for my ham license, I’m about 30% of the way through.(having a little trouble on the electronic theory)I was hoping to have GMRS as a diversion, a fun one at that. I guess I’m happy that they’re doing it now, so I don’t spend any more money on it.

73’s everyone, thanks for the feedback !

Dave WSDD439

My 12 year old grandkids studied the Technician exam prep at hamstudy.org for about 30 mins a day over two weeks and passed the first time.  There is virtually zero theory in the Technician exam, it's mostly FCC rules and regs.  You can do it. 

17 hours ago, WSDD439 said:

My wife and I use our GM-30's to stay in contact when we are at the flea markets, outdoor concerts, fishing, camping, or just out walking.   No repeaters.  Works great.

2 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

I'm talking about someone who is out of simplex range but within repeater (or especially linked repeater) range.

And the repeater is using one frequency per area. A user can use that frequency or go to another one, without a repeater.

On 8/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, WSDD439 said:

And just maybe they actually listen to the repeater system, and find out that no one is being denied access to any of the frequencies…..

Na,, they listen to Randy more then listening to the repeaters.  

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

@WSDD439 Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining the issue that some people have with linked repeaters. Personally, I don't care whether they are linked or not. They are useful linked, they are useful unlinked, and simplex is also good.

Yeah, I’m not arguing either. I’m just saying that there’s plenty of room for everyone, no matter what your flavor is.

1 hour ago, TrucksNCoffee said:

Don't forget to see if you spilled some on your keyboard.😆

Coffee is no fun to clean from a keyboard or monitor, especially if one uses any cream or sweetener. I've learned to set the coffee down before reading. 

On 8/23/2024 at 10:00 AM, WRUE951 said:

The announcement from Rich clearly stated MYGMRS web site is NOT shutting down.   No wonder people don't comprehend the GMRS FCC rules.   People don't or can't read.   

Yes, the eff sea seas is shutting down illegally linked GMRS repeater systems and now there is no more GMRS.

Step me through that logic please...😆

3 minutes ago, LeoG said:

Yes, the eff sea seas is shutting down illegally linked GMRS repeater systems and now there is no more GMRS.

Step me through that logic please...😆

First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and ...