Photo

What's permitted close to the Canadian Border?

Canada Line A

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fionnbharr

Fionnbharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWS882

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Howdy, all!

So glad the kids have taken to carrying their radios with them when they bike around town and are off with friends; getting the GMRS license is a no-brainer for active families.

I'm looking to add a mobile unit to my car -- I'm looking at the Midland MXT400 -- and since we live in a rural area near Lake Erie and the Canadian Border, I'm confused as to what's permitted from a power standpoint North of Line A.

Are mobile units limited to 5, 15, or 50 Watts?  Is the MXT400 legal for use if the Power output can be reduced?  Can it be reduced?

Aside from well-known frequency restrictions, what are the power requirements north of Line A?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Robinson

Robinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQOQ661
  • Ham Callsign:KF6NFW

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

when I lived North of line A as recent as Nov 2016. the rules stated:

Effective 2/16/99 the GMRS rules have been amended and you may operate on any of the primary or interstitial channels shown in section 95.29. Exception: Licensees who operate North of Line A and East of Line C may not operate on channels 462.650 MHZ,467.650 MHZ, 462.700 MHZ and 467.700 MHZ unless your previous license authorized such operations.

This is clearly stated on my copy of licenses in Waivers/Conditions. 

There appears to be no further restriction on RF power outside of those already existing for the GMRS service.

I interpret the rules as saying you are allowed the 50 watts for mobile use.

The terms of base and control stations is changing this summer so please look to the FCC documents and rules outlined. 

• mainehazmt likes this

#3 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

Howdy, all!

So glad the kids have taken to carrying their radios with them when they bike around town and are off with friends; getting the GMRS license is a no-brainer for active families.

I'm looking to add a mobile unit to my car -- I'm looking at the Midland MXT400 -- and since we live in a rural area near Lake Erie and the Canadian Border, I'm confused as to what's permitted from a power standpoint North of Line A.

Are mobile units limited to 5, 15, or 50 Watts?  Is the MXT400 legal for use if the Power output can be reduced?  Can it be reduced?

Aside from well-known frequency restrictions, what are the power requirements north of Line A?

Thanks in advance!

James, I just looked up your license, and it contains the same restrictions that Robinson pointed out: Licensees who operate North of Line A and East of Line C may not operate on channels 462.650 MHZ,467.650 MHZ, 462.700 MHZ and 467.700 MHZ unless your previous license authorized such operations. That seems pretty clear to me.

If you'll read Part 95a, you will find that there's no limitation on power beyond the standard 50 watts mobile or base, and 5 watts handheld.

In the proposal that the FCC just released, they clearly admit that the "small base station" and "small control station" rules are antiquated and no longer apply to today's equipment and operations so any lower power restrictions in that section are meaningless. Those rules were applicable back when you had to list control locations on your 605 application. Since we are no longer required to list specific transmitter locations on GMRS license applications, the low power restrictions can not be applied to us.

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#4 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Well up here north of the line... I hear no Canadian traffic anyway on ANY freq....but I'm just talking about New Brunswick. Ps I'm 1500' if that from Canada

#5 Fionnbharr

Fionnbharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

The terms of base and control stations is changing this summer so please look to the FCC documents and rules outlined. 

Fascinating; I had no idea things were being updated/changing.   Other than slavishly following FCC press releases, would licensees be notified (by email?) of changes to license terms?

#6 Fionnbharr

Fionnbharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Well up here north of the line... I hear no Canadian traffic anyway on ANY freq....but I'm just talking about New Brunswick. Ps I'm 1500' if that from Canada

So long as trees aren't in the way, we've got a clear view of Port Colborne, Ontario due north of us across the lake.

• mainehazmt likes this

#7 WQEJ577

WQEJ577

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 89 posts
  • LocationCentral Jersey
  • GMRS Callsign:WQEJ577
  • Ham Callsign:N2DLX

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

Line A and Line C restrictions were removed from the GMRS rules proposed in the WT 10-119 Report & Order. Next Thursday is the FCC meeting to consider the R&O. GMRS operators still are not allowed to communicate with foreign stations, so I asked the FCC to exclude Canada from this restriction just like they did for CB radio in the same R&O. Basically there is the same service on the Canadian side (slightly different rules, no licenses) so there's no actual interference anymore. Back in the day these frequencies were for public safety and/or business use in Canada so it would have caused problems. Now, it's almost the same service and type of users so there's no reason to keep the ban in effect.

• Logan5 and SteveC7010 like this

Rich Dunajewski

Founder, myGMRS.com

#8 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Line A and Line C restrictions were removed from the GMRS rules proposed in the WT 10-119 Report & Order. Next Thursday is the FCC meeting to consider the R&O. GMRS operators still are not allowed to communicate with foreign stations, so I asked the FCC to exclude Canada from this restriction just like they did for CB radio in the same R&O. Basically there is the same service on the Canadian side (slightly different rules, no licenses) so there's no actual interference anymore. Back in the day these frequencies were for public safety and/or business use in Canada so it would have caused problems. Now, it's almost the same service and type of users so there's no reason to keep the ban in effect.

Just a short comment that R&O will not go into effect until 90 days after it is accepted by the FCC. I live right on Line A so I've still got .650 and .700 flagged in my radios as a reminder not to use them if I go north. There's very little GMRS traffic to be heard up here anyway.

I do wonder if the restrictions will be magically removed from our licenses after the R&O goes into effect.

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#9 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Across from me they speak a lot of French so I won't be talking to them anyway...

#10 k2zs

k2zs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYY224
  • Ham Callsign:K2ZS

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

I just recieved a VXR7000 repeater and duplexer pre-tuned to 462.650/467.650 and live north of Line A. I have the software to re-program the repeater but would have to send the duplexer out for tuning. Are you saying it's ok to use this frequency pair north of line A now? That would be great if I can. My license lists the restriction so I feel bound to that...

#11 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCentral New York
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Depending on the type of the duplexer it should work fine on 462.625 with no issues. I tune my "mobile duplexers" to the middle (650) and have all three frequencies in my GR1225 in my Motor home. That way when i get someplace I can change if there is interference on the channel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users