idahofluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFB607
  • Ham Callsign:KJ7LUD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

Hello,

I recently got my ham call sign, I also received my GMRS Call sign to use with my wife and kids. 

I am unclear on how this will work... I understand the GMRS  license covers your intimidate family.  So would we all use the came call sign? or would I use it at the start of the contact.? 

coming from the Ham side I am leaning to the use at the start of contact then 10 min etc etc, but I cant find the proper use with multiple people under the same call sign.

thanks for any input.

#2 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Everyone in your immediate family would all use the same call sign. You all have to ID with the call sign every 15 minutes of conversation and at the end of the conversation, regardless of the duration.

You can add additional identifiers if you would like. An example would be, everyone in my family would use ABCD123, but I may ID my station as ABCD123-ALPHA. My wife would ID as ABCD123-OMEGA. My son could be ABCD123-BETA.

Again, the add-on ID is optional... but legal. For what it's worth, no one in my family uses add-ons. We all just use ABCD123 and call each other by name.
  • Jones likes this

#3 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

Yep, you all use the same call-sign, and it is a 15 minute interval, unlike the 10 minute interval in ham radio.  As Marc said, identifiers are up to you, not regulated or required.  In my family, we use unit numbers. I'm unit 1, (ex) wife (was) unit 2, sons are units 3,4, and 5, cousin Mike is unit 6. Grandpa goes by a handle: "The Old Timer". Still same call.

• marcspaz likes this

#4 idahofluke

idahofluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFB607
  • Ham Callsign:KJ7LUD

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

thank you for the info. :) I am looking forward to getting my wife on a radio and start hitting local repeaters.

#5 Gary - WRAF233

Gary - WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

thank you for the info. :) I am looking forward to getting my wife on a radio and start hitting local repeaters.

Although in Nevada I travel your area a couple times a year and have the .550 repeater in your area programmed into my radios.  Will be interesting to see how far out I can hit it (Howe, maybe?).  Will try from Dubois and the top of Monida (doubtful)

Gary

WRAF233

NE NV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users