9 replies to this topic

#1 wqnd300

wqnd300

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wqnd300

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

I was wondering if they still make any off the shelf bubble pack radios that are repeater capable. My parents need new radios but my mom isnt tech savy enough to use a part 90 radio.

#2 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

I'm not aware of any "bubble pack radios" that can use a repeater. I suggest a WLN KD-C1 radio available at Amazon for $15.99 and free shipping.

It is a tiny 16 channel, 4 watt HT, programmable with Chirp and a programming cable.

#3 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

Motorola Talkabout MT351R

#4 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

Not programmable, no repeater operation. Fail.

#5 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:53 PM

actually the R stands for repeater capable. I bought this radio and tested on our repeater, I returned them for other reasons.

#6 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:17 PM

If it can work a repeater, it is not FRS. This thread is under the wrong topic.
  • Logan5 and Jones like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:11 PM

Retevis RT76 is as close to that as you're going to get.

You'll have to do all the programming up front (BaoFeng cable) but after that, it's just a knob with thirty channels, the last eight of which are repeater inputs.

• PeterNemo likes this

#8 wayoverthere

wayoverthere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Locationmiddle of CA
  • GMRS Callsign:ask

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Alternately, it's a bit more expensive than straight bubble packs, but definitely repeater capable, is the wouxun kg-805g. once it's set up, basic operation can be as simple as twist one knob for volume, the other knob for channels, and push to talk, and they're available from the on-site store.

https://shop.mygmrs....able-gmrs-radio

#9 mire

mire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • GMRS Callsign:WREA791

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:00 AM

actually the R stands for repeater capable. I bought this radio and tested on our repeater, I returned them for other reasons.

Not necessarily. The only repeater capable blister pack radios I’m aware of are the Motorola MR-355R (of which I own several), MR-356R, MS-350R, and MS-355R, as well as the Liberty 500. Radios such as the MR-350R, MR-360R, etc. are not repeater capable in spite of the R at the end of their nomenclature.
Personally, they’re mostly useless to me. ~1.3W PEP, narrow band, can’t do non-standard DCS octals or split tones (both of which are used on Front Range GMRS repeaters). Now I said mostly useless, not wholly. When in scan mode, if a signal is picked up, it’ll immediately identify which CTCSS or DCS tone is in use (if it’s one which is on the standardized list).
If it’s a small and pretty standardized list of frequencies they’d be using, maybe a 8 or 16 channel radio such as a TK-360, HT750… maybe even a BF-888S… might be a better way to go if split tones and/or non-standard octals are something you’d encounter.
  • kb2ztx likes this
2x Kenwood TK-3180
3x Kenwood TK-380
Motorola HT750
Kenwood TK-3700
3x Kenwood TK-350G
Kenwood TK-353G
A whole slew of BaoFeng BF-888S and GT1 radios
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-890
Kenwood TK-8360

#10 weitekmr

weitekmr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJB989

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

I can second the Retevis RT76 as a good option for family use, but like was stated, it's a dual GMRS/FRS radio. The price point is not too bad, and it's definitely better than anything coming out of a bubble pack in my opinion. I bought one recently as my main portable unit, and it's definitely easy to use and would be great for secondary radios to hand to family members. It doesn't have any programming that can be done with the unit, only on the computer, so that eliminates a lot of the issues with complexity once computer setup is done.

You will definitely need a standard Kenwood-style programming cable, as a lot of the pre-programmed channels on the RT76 come with codes put on them so it won't work right out of the box. The software Retevis provides is the only software I can find as it's not programmable with CHIRP. That being said, it works, and is easy enough to figure out. You can't mess with the channel frequencies, so it's probably a bit more usable than something like a HAM radio user is using on CHIRP.

Personally, I would get your GMRS license, and get a few of the RT76 or similar radios if you are needing to use repeaters. The radio is also FRS capable and GMRS simplex, so you can use these as needed with a base station or your own handheld.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users