bubble pack GMRS

Alternately, it's a bit more expensive than straight bubble packs, but definitely repeater capable, is the wouxun kg-805g. once it's set up, basic operation can be as simple as twist one knob for volume, the other knob for channels, and push to talk, and they're available from the on-site store.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/gmrs-radios/products/wouxun-kg-805g-repeater-capable-gmrs-radio

• 2 months later...

actually the R stands for repeater capable. I bought this radio and tested on our repeater, I returned them for other reasons.

Not necessarily. The only repeater capable blister pack radios I’m aware of are the Motorola MR-355R (of which I own several), MR-356R, MS-350R, and MS-355R, as well as the Liberty 500. Radios such as the MR-350R, MR-360R, etc. are not repeater capable in spite of the R at the end of their nomenclature.

Personally, they’re mostly useless to me. ~1.3W PEP, narrow band, can’t do non-standard DCS octals or split tones (both of which are used on Front Range GMRS repeaters). Now I said mostly useless, not wholly. When in scan mode, if a signal is picked up, it’ll immediately identify which CTCSS or DCS tone is in use (if it’s one which is on the standardized list).

If it’s a small and pretty standardized list of frequencies they’d be using, maybe a 8 or 16 channel radio such as a TK-360, HT750… maybe even a BF-888S… might be a better way to go if split tones and/or non-standard octals are something you’d encounter.

I can second the Retevis RT76 as a good option for family use, but like was stated, it's a dual GMRS/FRS radio. The price point is not too bad, and it's definitely better than anything coming out of a bubble pack in my opinion. I bought one recently as my main portable unit, and it's definitely easy to use and would be great for secondary radios to hand to family members. It doesn't have any programming that can be done with the unit, only on the computer, so that eliminates a lot of the issues with complexity once computer setup is done.

You will definitely need a standard Kenwood-style programming cable, as a lot of the pre-programmed channels on the RT76 come with codes put on them so it won't work right out of the box. The software Retevis provides is the only software I can find as it's not programmable with CHIRP. That being said, it works, and is easy enough to figure out. You can't mess with the channel frequencies, so it's probably a bit more usable than something like a HAM radio user is using on CHIRP.

Personally, I would get your GMRS license, and get a few of the RT76 or similar radios if you are needing to use repeaters. The radio is also FRS capable and GMRS simplex, so you can use these as needed with a base station or your own handheld.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but perhaps someone might be still interested in it….

obviously no bubble pack FRS HT is going to be repeater compatible, by definition. But as a GMRS license covers the whole family, I can see where non-tech family members would like an easy to use radio that is still repeater capable. When I faced that issue, I bought a couple of Retevis RB26s. Before we go someplace I program it with any relevant repeaters, and then I put a  label on the radio listing whatever channels we are going to be using. The RB26s have no screen, you just push a button and a voice tells you what channel you’re in.  Then I tell the user “keep it on channel 16. If you can’t get in touch with me, try channel 26” (just an example). The user doesn’t even have to know what a repeater is, they can still utilize it. 
(I also have our call sign and proper radio etiquette on a card taped to the radio. I go over it with everyone, and practice it, but they tend to forget.)

2 hours ago, WRPE755 said:

(I also have our call sign and proper radio etiquette on a card taped to the radio. I go over it with everyone, and practice it, but they tend to forget.)

I have this problem with both fire and private security personnel, people that carry a radio as part of their job everyday as well. Yesterday, I had to have a firefighter show an office worker how to find the serial number on her APX8000 Motorola radio. I was attempting to confirm the serial number to a radio ID. This was commercial and very expensive radio, and this type of situation still takes place. But, you are ahead of many that do not even place a label on the radio or attempt to instruct end users. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, WRPE755 said:

obviously no bubble pack FRS HT is going to be repeater compatible, by definition.

Although not technically "bubble pack" or "blister pack," I did buy a set of "FRS" radios from a popular radio supplier, and they require programming in order to set the CTCSS tones or DCS codes. While programming one of them, I decided to see what would happen if I added a repeater channel to it. I did, and it sort of worked for me. The radio only allowed me to program the same code for both send and receive, so it didn't work with how my repeater is set up, but the radio did key the repeater when I tested it. If my repeater used the same tone for both send and receive the radio would have worked with it. There is no way to set up split tones on this radio, or to set it to a transmit tone only.

3 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Although not technically "bubble pack" or "blister pack," I did buy a set of "FRS" radios from a popular radio supplier, and they require programming in order to set the CTCSS tones or DCS codes. While programming one of them, I decided to see what would happen if I added a repeater channel to it. I did, and it sort of worked for me…

Which FRS radio are you referring to?

• 2 months later...