3dB gain vs. 6dB gain antenna

Greg43545

There were several replies made that, instead of being instructional, were snarky cynicism and I removed them from this thread and blocked them as well, that is why you don't, or didn't, see them.

I'm here to ask questions and learn. I can take "constructive" criticism if that is an intention of the poster, but don't feel it's necessary to be berated.

You and berkinet have always responded with positive instructions and I appreciate it - thank you. 

I'm glad I have been a positive and helpful voice... but are you sure you are thinking of the correct site? 

You are not a moderator or admin so you can't delete posts or threads and this site doesn't have a "block" feature.  The most you can do is hide someone else's posts from your view.  Even if you hide someone else's posts, everyone else can still see the posts and you can still select to see any individual posts you want, by clicking on a link where their post placeholder is.

Just trying to help and find out what's up.

...You are not a moderator or admin so you can't delete posts or threads and this site doesn't have a "block" feature.  The most you can do is hide someone else's posts from your view.  Even if you hide someone else's posts, everyone else can still see the posts and you can still select to see any individual posts you want, by clicking on a link where their post placeholder is....

I do not go in for beatting of dead horses. But, IMO, after the comments made about participants on this forum, I think perhaps @marcspaz's post deserves a reply. I, for one, would like to know if you somehow confused two separate forums or did you mean you reported the posts you found offensive to the moderator's and they removed them, or is there some other explanation.  I like this forum, and I'd like to see it remain a friendly place for all. So, to me, leaving unresolved issues to fester is not a good idea.

I, for one, would like to know if you somehow confused two separate forums or did you mean you reported the posts you found offensive to the moderator's and they removed them, or is there some other explanation.

I didn't report anything to a Moderator because I didn't feel it was necessary.

I complemented O-B-1, Marcspaz, and you on your replies because they're always professional, helpful and informative. I blocked those replies and individuals that I felt were not.

I was mistaken that, unlike Facebook, when you block someone that their posts remain, and for that mistake - if there was any confusion - I apologize. 

I didn't report anything to a Moderator because I didn't feel it was necessary.

[...]

I was mistaken that, unlike Facebook, when you block someone that their posts remain, and for that mistake - if there was any confusion - I apologize. 

Thanks for the clarification. So, I carefully went back and carefully re-read all of the posts in this thread. Honestly, I do not see any that were, to me anyway, in any way snarky or critical of anyone, at least up until you made the claim that such posts had been made. However, there were a couple written in a jocular style, often common in tech/radio discussions. There are also people who write straight declarative information and just start and end with facts. I am sorry if you thought anything in this thread was directed negatively at you or at someone new to GMRS or radio in general.

Without referring to anyone in particular, I would note it is an odd irony that people into radio are often not the best communicators.  I would also suggest some people you have blocked may be among those who have the best technical understanding on the forum and if you do not see their posts, you may miss some important information.

And, before closing, if you wish to PM me with a pointer to a post you find specifically concerning, I would be happy to discuss it with you offline.

Finally, in any case, thanks again for answering and I think the matter is pretty much closed, at least for me.

I know there is an MXTA11, and an MXTA26 6dB Gain Antenna.

Does anyone have one, and if so, how does it compare with the MXTA25 3dB Gain Antenna?

There has been a fair amount of discussion on the Midland antennas. You might want to look through some other threads. But, in general, I think the comments were not particularly favorable towards the Midland products.

I had 3 of the MXTA26 antennas on 3 different vehicles/radios. They worked well when they worked, but they didn't last long.

The all mechanically broke. One was horribly bent from driving and the wind. Another, the based shattered from the sun heating it and having the base expand faster than the plastic. The last one, the upper element was stripped when it was manufactured, and they just glued the upper element in place and shipped it to me. That was pretty disappointing.

I switch to Diamond, Comet, and Tram/Browning antennas. They are all better performing and have been very durable.

I have the mxta9 mag mounted on the truck currently (living outside) paired with a mxt115 radio. Short answer is...it's alright. Won't hit the 60 mile repeater (haven't tried a couple closer...the code to ctcss is a pain...) and I don't have high expectations of itholding up particularly well living outside. The antenna, sans mount, was on clearance for $7...it will be replaced at some point, probably when I change out the radio.

Also have the mxta10 3db whip in the attic, paired with a gmrs50x1 as "base"...it does a bit better. Hits repeaters at 30 and 60 miles with decent to good clarity. Also not a permanent solution, but I got it in the bundle with the mxt115. Planning on something better at some point.