Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

I’m due to renew guy feb 22 2021. The way Gov works I again will get screwed.  Happened at the 5 yr vs 10 year change and now this.  Plus I had planned on upgrading to AE on the ham side...

I'm right there with you. I missed the 10 year rule change and it looks like I will miss the fee reduction because mine expires in February 2021. :mellow:

#22 PegasusR7

PegasusR7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKL328

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

Learning the hard way:

1. Wanted radios that work better than FRS cheapies you find at Lowes/Home Depot. Bought 5 watt Midlands GXT1030. (fail)
  2. Knew I needed FCC license but didn't know to wait for 1/2 reduction in fees (fail)
  3. Happen to see a repeater in south Charlotte and thought "cool" I can use that with these radios (fail)

• Hans likes this

#23 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationHammond, Indiana
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:39 PM

Learning the hard way:

1. Wanted radios that work better than FRS cheapies you find at Lowes/Home Depot. Bought 5 watt Midlands GXT1030. (fail)
  2. Knew I needed FCC license but didn't know to wait for 1/2 reduction in fees (fail)
  3. Happen to see a repeater in south Charlotte and thought "cool" I can use that with these radios (fail)

On the upside though, at least you got a decent call sign! WRKL328,,,

I got stuck with a real tongue-twister; WQWU626, which nearly everyone misses the U and thinks my call is WQW 626!

• Hans likes this

#24 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX754

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

Hans and mainehazmt, wait for the last minute or next to last day and see if it will be reduced before Feb 2021.  I'm a member of the "I paid $70 Club" and for $7.00 a year it ok...  Well work taking your call sign if you like it..

Jack

I'm right there with you. I missed the 10 year rule change and it looks like I will miss the fee reduction because mine expires in February 2021. :mellow:

• Hans likes this

#25 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:04 PM

Hans and mainehazmt, wait for the last minute or next to last day and see if it will be reduced before Feb 2021.  I'm a member of the "I paid $70 Club" and for $7.00 a year it ok...  Well work taking your call sign if you like it..

Jack

IIRC, as a federal regulatory agency, it will be 30 days after they officially announce the change that it will go into effect. They said that in their response as well. Unless I missed it, I don't believe they have officially announced the change yet so my renewal would pass by and I have too much set up with our call sign to let that happen. :(

• AdmiralCochrane likes this

#26 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

IMHO, it is reported in the federal register calling for comment by the public on or about Dec 28.  So from my days reading the pink sheets as it is called, 30-60-90 day so makes it Jan, Feb or March.  Then as you said will take them 30 days to make the changes on the web site.  Welcome to the "I paid $70 Club".

Jack

IIRC, as a federal regulatory agency, it will be 30 days after they officially announce the change that it will go into effect. They said that in their response as well. Unless I missed it, I don't believe they have officially announced the change yet so my renewal would pass by and I have too much set up with our call sign to let that happen. :(

• mainehazmt and Hans like this

#27 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Ok, let's try to keep this in scale. If one were to renew for $70 the day before the new price went into effect. The total extent of the "damage" would be $3.50 per year over the 10 year life of the license.  That is $ 0.0095 per day, $0.067 per week, or a whopping $0.29 a month.

• Hans, WRAF233, Mikeam and 2 others like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#28 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:18 PM

Ok, let's try to keep this in scale. If one were to renew for $70 the day before the new price went into effect. The total extent of the "damage" would be $3.50 per year over the 10 year life of the license.  That is $ 0.0095 per day, $0.067 per week, or a whopping $0.29 a month.

You seriously underestimate just how cheap I am, friend. :lol:

• mainehazmt, berkinet and Mikeam like this

#29 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:09 PM

Good math... and perspective.

Jack

• Hans likes this

#30 axorlov

axorlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVX408
  • Ham Callsign:KM6JGU

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:35 PM

$70-club? Phufffff. Whiners, no sympathy. There are people here who are members of $90-for-5-years-club. Some people are more than once members. :huh:

• mainehazmt, Hans, Lscott and 1 other like this

- Alex

#31 OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKS450
  • Ham Callsign:Yes

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:11 PM

For anybody wondering.... the fee was still $70 as of last week (Feb 7)

I just went ahead and paid it.  As others have said $7/year is still pretty cheap.

Use your stimulus check to pay it.

Vince

• Hans likes this

#32 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

On the upside though, at least you got a decent call sign! WRKL328,,,

I got stuck with a real tongue-twister; WQWU626, which nearly everyone misses the U and thinks my call is WQW 626!

DoubleQWOO - Yikes!

• n4gix likes this

WRAF233

NE NV

#33 SDK

SDK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYC747
  • Ham Callsign:KC1LGL

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

Learning the hard way:

I highly recommend the BauFeng BF-F8HP for handhelds. They are 8-watt transceivers with a wide range of VHF and UHF frequencies including two Ham bands (2m & 70cm), FRS/GMRS, MURS, and many local emergency services frequencies so you can use them as scanners. They are currently $62.89 each. I recommend getting the longer NA-771 antenna at $16.99 and a spare battery or two. Check them out at baofengtech.com. For a mobile rig the UV-25X2 or UV-50X2 are affordable options with the same capabilities and much higher power. Get the programming cable and use the free application CHIRP to program them. Been there, done that with the Midlands - never again. WQYC747

#34 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:10 PM

Well as of today it was 70$.  I started the process the 15th of feb. but guess what when it got time to pay nothing happened.  Apparently the FCC doesn’t like Microsoft edge.  Well I tried on a different computer using google something... They took my $$. And license says pending.  We will see.... guess I better shut off my repeater....

#35 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:39 PM

Well it is official they accepted my late payment (application was in on time). I get to keep my call sign and I can turn the repeater back on.  70$. Maybe I better hurry and take my AE exam  before they raise that one up!

• mbrun likes this

#36 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

$70-club? Phufffff. Whiners, no sympathy. There are people here who are members of $90-for-5-years-club. Some people are more than once members. :huh:

Oh I was part of the 90$ club too.  Seems like every change goes into effect shortly after I renew.  next time to renew Ill be 72... so  this may be my last one  Ill go rogue then...

• Hans and cateyetech like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FCC Rules & Regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users