Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

Not sure how much I can actually add to this thread, but here's my set up.  '21 JLUSS, Midland MXT115, EAG (Amazon) antenna mount, and Midland 3db Gain Ghost antenna (not pictured).  Since I have a 6 speed manual, I couldn't use the grommet next to the master cylinder to run the cable - I folded down the windshield, ran the coax under the windshield frame, under the drivers side dash speaker, down under the dash to just under the steering wheel, and then to the radio mounted on the driver's side of the console.  Pain in the butt to run.  Tapped the cigarette lighter for power.

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

On 3/15/2021 at 5:58 AM, SkylinesSuck said:

Just testing out Tapatalk with the same pics in my original post.....

And I didn't specify in my original post I'm using above the taillight mounts for both antennas.33d4cf12a0f73ca22d9cdb5f94ac539a.jpg6cc467ff451cbb32909894e44d0adfae.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Asking for a friend.  Is your tailight mount GMRS antenna working ok?  He has a '99 TJ that he runs topless, has a rack on the back and is asking me about which antenna and mount (hard or mag mount).  Since I run only 1/4 wave on a ground plane I don't have a solid answer for which antenna type and mounting solution might work best for him.  1/2 wave, 5/8, etc., etc..

I'll continue through the thread from the end backward to see what I come up with.  Kind of talking him out of the Midland and leaning him toward the Wouxux 20w.

I have a taillight mounted Midland MXTA26 on my JKU and it has many fars.  also have a taillight mounted Tram UHF antenna (trimmed for GMRS) on the wife's '06 TJ, and it also works great with many fars.

No doubt both would work better with a better groundplane, but for me, "good enough" is good enough.. I'm not trying to bounce my signal off the moon.

31 minutes ago, DanW said:

I've got my MXT575 up and running in my Jeep, so the Wouxun KG1000G is up for sale.  PM me if interested.  

I got $50 on it....   LOL 

I have seen a couple people swapping out the KG for a 575...  Can I ask your reason for getting away from the KG?      

17 hours ago, Extreme said:

Asking for a friend.  Is your tailight mount GMRS antenna working ok?  He has a '99 TJ that he runs topless, has a rack on the back and is asking me about which antenna and mount (hard or mag mount).  Since I run only 1/4 wave on a ground plane I don't have a solid answer for which antenna type and mounting solution might work best for him.  1/2 wave, 5/8, etc., etc..

I'll continue through the thread from the end backward to see what I come up with.  Kind of talking him out of the Midland and leaning him toward the Wouxux 20w.

Wife's TJ has the MXT115 with the 6db Midland mounted to the passenger tail light.  No issues.   

How simple of a radio does he want?   I ran the MXT for the wife since she is one that, turn radio on, turn to channel and talk type. I knew if I put anything she has to do anything more, she would never use it.

14 hours ago, Drumbic said:

I got $50 on it....   LOL 

I have seen a couple people swapping out the KG for a 575...  Can I ask your reason for getting away from the KG?      

There are several reasons with the big one being that the Wouxun makes my Jeep cluttered.  I like that the Midland is all in the mic.  The quality feel of the 575 is another, and then the simplicity.  So when I'm not using it, it disappears, or at worst, hangs on a mic holder out of the way and without looking like clutter.  It also has better volume so I can hear it with the top down.  I had to use an auxillary speaker with the Wouxun, even with the mic speaker and the base speaker turned on.  The mic speaker is so weak it might as well not even be there.  The Wouxun's backlighting is terrible, too.  Too bright at night. You can't dim it or change the color.  And the best location of the face plate, which worked well for info and usage put that light in a bad spot for me at night. (Top center of the dash.)

The Wouxun has performed well in terms of range and reception, but the 575 is just as good there.  But again, the higher volume makes it superior.  

So I liked the Wouxun from a performance standpoint, but ergonomically, it just doesn't work for me.

It is going on Ebay or FB Marketplace soon if I get no reasonable offers here.  I have the box and all the cords. There isn't a scratch or mark on it, so it is in new condition.  $320 takes it, shipping included within the continental US.  If local, then $300.

16 hours ago, DanW said:

There are several reasons with the big one being that the Wouxun makes my Jeep cluttered.  I like that the Midland is all in the mic.  The quality feel of the 575 is another, and then the simplicity.  So when I'm not using it, it disappears, or at worst, hangs on a mic holder out of the way and without looking like clutter.  It also has better volume so I can hear it with the top down.  I had to use an auxillary speaker with the Wouxun, even with the mic speaker and the base speaker turned on.  The mic speaker is so weak it might as well not even be there.  The Wouxun's backlighting is terrible, too.  Too bright at night. You can't dim it or change the color.  And the best location of the face plate, which worked well for info and usage put that light in a bad spot for me at night. (Top center of the dash.)

The Wouxun has performed well in terms of range and reception, but the 575 is just as good there.  But again, the higher volume makes it superior.  

So I liked the Wouxun from a performance standpoint, but ergonomically, it just doesn't work for me.

It is going on Ebay or FB Marketplace soon if I get no reasonable offers here.  I have the box and all the cords. There isn't a scratch or mark on it, so it is in new condition.  $320 takes it, shipping included within the continental US.  If local, then $300.

Make sense.  I am moving the other way away from the MXTs for radios that allow more.   Altho the wife's TJ still running the MXT115

Re-did the wife's TJ mount. 

Found a LED third brake light for the TJ at the swapmeet today.  Got home installed and the ball started rolling on a new mount, inspired from an earlier post.

20220626_112636.jpg

20220626_114409.jpg

20220626_125143.jpg

20220626_130237.jpg

20220626_133109.jpg

20220626_133118.jpg

20220626_145907.jpg

20220626_151414.jpg