Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

11 hours ago, bobthetj03 said:

Noticed you ran the coax into the cowl. Where did you route it from there to get it inside the dash? 

through the door opening.  Not ideal.  But with a manual transmission on the JL, I don't have the hole in the firewall to come through.  The auto transmissions do.  

I'll try and get a pic sometime of it.  I'm going out of town for 10 days, so it may be a bit.

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2021 at 11:52 AM, serrasalmus said:

this is how i did the install on my 07 jkur. i installed the base under the factory infinity amp and remote mounted the head above the mirror, im using the  5\8 over 5\8 shorty. 

20210917_144344.jpg

20210926_143518.jpg

20210926_143521.jpg

20210926_162139.jpg

Could you share details how you installed the faceplate? I’m trying to do the same thing in my JK!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, austinpa said:

Could you share some more pictures of how you installed you’re remote faceplate above the rear view ?

I bought a WayALife CB Bar.  I have a 2020 Gladiator, but they make them for previous models also.

Here is the part I used... just search their site if you have something other than a JL/JT.

https://www.wayalife.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-CB-BAR

A few pictures of my Ham gear...  The GMRS radio goes in the same location when I go wheeling.

Jeep Profile 2.jpg

Speakers.jpg

CB Bar No Roof.jpg

CB Bar Top No Roof.jpg

Face Plate Back and Mics.jpg

Face Plate Back.jpg

Face Plate Front 1.jpg

Face Plate Front 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, WROM583 said:

I have the Wouxun KG-805G handheld for use when driving offroad in my JL. Mostly go out solo and wanted something for safety. I've found 3 repeaters locally and I think I have them programmed correctly but not sure. 

Any tips for newbie??

Send a test message asking for someone to reply:

”This is WROM583 Checking repeater settings. Please reply.”

If someone replies or if you hear an automated identification from the repeater you got it right. 

19 hours ago, WROM583 said:

I have the Wouxun KG-805G handheld for use when driving offroad in my JL. Mostly go out solo and wanted something for safety. I've found 3 repeaters locally and I think I have them programmed correctly but not sure. 

Any tips for newbie??

Sorry to sound negative but if your doing solo wheeling and out of cellular range there is no way you should rely on the GMRS repeaters unless you know and use them often. Buy a spot or an Inreach to be safe. GMRS is not for hailing emergencies for the most part. While I know of places than monitor certain channels I'd be careful thinking thats your safety net. 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:48 AM, WROM583 said:

Any tips for newbie??

Why do you think you have them programed correctly?

Have you actually made contact with the repeaters and if so, what is your indication(s) that you have opened the repeater?

Did you contact the repeater operator thru a conversation on the repeater, email or text messages?

How do you know for certain the repeaters are online and operating?

I'm not banging you here, I wheel a lot too by myself and even did the Trans American Trail by myself.    An Inreach or Spot with some helicopter/medivac insurance would be a good investment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...