Wouxun KG-1000G tips and tricks thread

Sbsyncro

Question

After posting to someone else's thread and realizing I hijacked his thread about scanning, I figured I'd start a new thread with cool "tips and tricks" that people have discovered with their new KG-1000G radios.   Perhaps we can also use this thread as a "does anyone know how to..." for the KG-1000G.  It will also be an interesting read for anyone considering this radio, since it will hopefully eventually contain a lot of detailed info about how specific features are implemented.

I'll start with this one (cross-posted from the other thread - if someone can tell me how do delete that other post, I will be glad to do so!):

Quickly adding a "privacy tone" that others are using on blister pack radios

My Jeep and I were in a parade over the weekend for a couple of WWII vets that were celebrating birthdays (97 and 100!).  The organizers were on GMRS/FRS HTs and I asked what channel they were on.  "Channel 7 with privacy channel 35" he told me.  Not knowing which brand radios they were using nor remembering off the top of my head which frequency corresponds to "privacy code 35" on most radios, I was able to use the Menu [41] "SC-CTC" option (which I've programmed to Key C) to "grab" their PL frequency and then save it to my radio on channel 7 within about 30 seconds.  Super handy if you're needing to inter-operate with people on Motorola, Midland, or Cobra radios and using "privacy channels".  Note: If you want to be able to RX and Tx with the tone, you need to also change the default setting for Menu [40] "SC-QT" from DECODER to ALL.  

Pretty neat feature that saved me the stress of having to manually look up possible tones and then program them via FPP while the parade was starting...

Not crazy!  Gonna play more tomorrow evening and see if I can get to it through the software.
PXL_20210516_014527489.thumb.jpg.7526826b279dfd05ed2d9a4d4e5b1d5a.jpg

No, you are not crazy. But then we have this:
d6dedfeb5057e10d23c91ad8b527dbcc.jpg

Makes me wonder if the dedicated NOAA feature they added to the radio necessitated the removal of one of the VFO bands and the 10-11m lost out.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I cant wait to use the STUN/KILL function on the next guy that tries to road-rage on me!

Now tell me, are you going to do video that one Randy? I see one in your future! Kenwood vs Motorola vs Wouxun vs BTech. Just who will win the STUN Wars.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I couldn't help myself. Brought my laptop to work and tried the CB freq through the software. No dice.  Seeing as how is very likely the radio is capable but just neutered via firmware, it's at least worth asking B2WRs if they could get it enabled. It would be pretty handy for me.

I think I noticed another mistake I'm the user's manual.  It mentions a "the color selectable backlight" which I also heard was an option on the base KG-UV980 but doesn't look available on the KG1000.  Too bad, that would be nice for me.  

We'll see what B2WRs says about the possibility of adding CB receive, but I doubt they will care.

Does anyone have any tips for programming?  I have the programming cable and Wouxun software. I was hoping I could do a copy and paste but I can't find an export/import function. It also doesn't seem to be able to copy cells and paste to/from an excel file.

Does anyone have any tips for programming?  I have the programming cable and Wouxun software. I was hoping I could do a copy and paste but I can't find an export/import function. It also doesn't seem to be able to copy cells and paste to/from an excel file.

Good Day Jronco.

No can do. Wouxun software does not permit cell copy paste in any software of theirs I have tried. Their software is bare-bones bottom of the line unsupported software.

There is however one copy&paste function that does work. You can copy and paste a row.

On the other hand, RTSystems (https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/KG-1000G_c_2086.html ) does sell a programming kit that does allow this.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

5 hours ago, SkylinesSuck said:

Yeah, that would have been helpful.  Manually inputting everything sucked.  Also, I'm unsure what some of the features do and they aren't in the instruction manual.

I heard back from B2WRs on the CB freqs. They said the radio was original intended to "do CB" but couldn't get the FCC to approve it.

I have found using the manual that came with your radio gives almost all of the uses of the software and what/how you do it. My issue was key words that were in the software meant noting to me until I looked them up in the printed booklet and things became more clear. Once I got over that hurdle I can change what I want to get the radio the way I want it, hope this helps!

On 5/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Sbsyncro said:

Also, if you find a good external speaker please post a link to this thread.

I had this speaker sitting in a box in the garage from forever ago that was plugged in to my old CB.  It was pretty quiet and not really helpful in that application.  For shits and grins I plugged it in to the KG1000 and it works great!  Nice and loud.  Interesting feature of the radio is one speaker plug does one side/band/channel/whatever, and the other side does the other.  While I could see that being a nice option for some people's purposes, I want all external speaker, all the time.  I used the Y adapter they sell on B2WRs and both sides of the radio come out of the speaker now.  The radio speakers still put out sound btw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000246VPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZWRXB5TQ4F7YS1KKFZ90?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, mbrun said:

Good Day Jronco.

No can do. Wouxun software does not permit cell copy paste in any software of theirs I have tried. Their software is bare-bones bottom of the line unsupported software.

There is however one copy&paste function that does work. You can copy and paste a row.

On the other hand, RTSystems (https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/KG-1000G_c_2086.html ) does sell a programming kit that does allow this.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I found out from BTWR the following:

For copy and paste, it works for me but I have to right-click and select Copy.  It seems they’ve overwritten the Ctrl-C shortcut with the COM port selection screen.

Hope this helps... I have not tried it yet...

Jack

I found out from BTWR the following:
For copy and paste, it works for me but I have to right-click and select Copy.  It seems they’ve overwritten the Ctrl-C shortcut with the COM port selection screen.
Hope this helps... I have not tried it yet...
Jack

I can confirm that if you select text is certain cells that you can right-click and copy the highlighted cell contents. Does not work on all cells.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 5/18/2021 at 4:46 AM, mbrun said:

Is that function common between the Wouxun programming software for the KG-1000G, the KG-905G and the KG-905G? From one app to another?

Is that function common between the Wouxun programming software for the KG-1000G, the KG-905G and the KG-905G? From one app to another?

You can count on all the Wouxon software being crappy, inconsistent, non-professional software. No, behaviors are not consistent between models. Worst software I have used since the 1980s.

What you can count on is that you can program your radio faster using the manufacturer’s software than you can manually. Just do not expect an Excel-like editing experience.

If you want a professional software experience you will have to pay for it from RT-Systems.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On a club run today others started telling me my transmissions were very crackly with a lot of static and cutting in and out.  After a bit of fiddling, I realized that it is the key switch on the mic.  If I key the mic and wiggled it with my thumb, it introduces a bunch of crackling and static, as if there is a poor connection.  I'm 95% confident that this is the issue.  Has anyone else had problems with their transmissions being static-y or with their mic?

I'm doing a bit club road trip in two weeks and I really want to have this radio working!

Edit:  After a bit more fiddling I am now less certain the issue is the key switch in the mic.  It just seems to be producing a lot of static when the mic is keyed, but without a different mic to test, I can't be sure that it is related to the key switch. 

Have you tried lowering the power for the frequency your using when close to the receiving transceiver. The reason I ask is my wife let me know there was the same issue when I was less then 2 miles from the base station when I keyed up but as I drove farther away it quit might give that a try. I did lower the power with the microphone and the issue went away. May not be your issue but worth trying!

Have you tried lowering the power for the frequency your using when close to the receiving transceiver. The reason I ask is my wife let me know there was the same issue when I was less then 2 miles from the base station when I keyed up but as I drove farther away it quit might give that a try. I did lower the power with the microphone and the issue went away. May not be your issue but worth trying!

I did not try that. I need to reprogram one of the top keys to change power level. My eyes are too bad to see the controls on the mic.

I have a new mic on the way. I will test with low power first before trying the new mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following back up on this thread.   I thought the replacement mic had made things better, but alas, a weekend trip with my local Jeep club proved that this radio has a lot of problems.  The most persistent issue is the static and popping that I mentioned earlier.  Another issue is that it sometimes doesn't start transmitting for 3 to 5 seconds after I key the mic!   Other times it begins transmitting very quietly, then goes to full gain.   

When I got home I tested some scenarios with HTs:  
•    I tried changing the power lead, re-routing directly to the battery.  No improvement
•    Tried two different antennas but same coax.  Same problem with both.
•    I used a mag mount antenna with different coax – no improvement.

My last and final test was to install a spare radio (A Radioddity DB20-G) using the same power and antenna connections as the ones giving me problems with the Wouxun.   The radio operates without static, pops, or noise on the transmissions, confirming that the problem follows the Wouxun KG1000G and not another variable.

Luckily BTWR has EXCELLENT customer service (I mean really, really good!) and they responded to my email within an hour or two and sent me a return shipping label so that they can test the radio.  I'm sending it back to them this week.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, mbrun said:

Good Day Jronco.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

So how did you like using this software?

So how did you like using this software?

Love it; so much so that I bought a license for multiple radio models I own. Editing, copy and pasting, importing and exporting are more intuitive and more to my liking. With license for multiple radios I can readily share channel settings between multiple radios.

There are a few niceties that Chirp has that RTS does not have that I wish it did have (like hiding unused channels) but RTS is supported software.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM