Wouxun KG-1000G tips and tricks thread

Sbsyncro

Question

After posting to someone else's thread and realizing I hijacked his thread about scanning, I figured I'd start a new thread with cool "tips and tricks" that people have discovered with their new KG-1000G radios.   Perhaps we can also use this thread as a "does anyone know how to..." for the KG-1000G.  It will also be an interesting read for anyone considering this radio, since it will hopefully eventually contain a lot of detailed info about how specific features are implemented.

I'll start with this one (cross-posted from the other thread - if someone can tell me how do delete that other post, I will be glad to do so!):

Quickly adding a "privacy tone" that others are using on blister pack radios

My Jeep and I were in a parade over the weekend for a couple of WWII vets that were celebrating birthdays (97 and 100!).  The organizers were on GMRS/FRS HTs and I asked what channel they were on.  "Channel 7 with privacy channel 35" he told me.  Not knowing which brand radios they were using nor remembering off the top of my head which frequency corresponds to "privacy code 35" on most radios, I was able to use the Menu [41] "SC-CTC" option (which I've programmed to Key C) to "grab" their PL frequency and then save it to my radio on channel 7 within about 30 seconds.  Super handy if you're needing to inter-operate with people on Motorola, Midland, or Cobra radios and using "privacy channels".  Note: If you want to be able to RX and Tx with the tone, you need to also change the default setting for Menu [40] "SC-QT" from DECODER to ALL.  

Pretty neat feature that saved me the stress of having to manually look up possible tones and then program them via FPP while the parade was starting...

Reviving this KG1000 thread... I did a search but couldn't find a thread on this.
I have several repeaters operating on the same channel but in different locations.  Is it possible to program multiple repeaters operating on the same channel using only the radio/mic keypad? Is there a step-by-step for this? 
If software is needed, I would need something that works on a MAC. Does that animal exist?

I believe there to be a defect/oversight in the production firmware that prevents building a repeater memory channel completely from scratch using the keypad. You can reconfigure and rename an existing one, but you cannot create it from scratch. It’s weird because the function menu needed to make it possible exists, only it is not functional like it is on the 935G.

I have worked around this in all my GMRS radios by creating a bank of preconfigured memories without CTCSS or DCS codes for every repeater pair. That gives me the ability to use the keypad to finish configuring it in the field on the fly. It has proven priceless for me.

I am not aware of any Mac software for programming the radio. I personally use RT Systems software.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

33 minutes ago, mbrun said:

I believe there to be a defect/oversight in the production firmware that prevents building a repeater memory channel completely from scratch using the keypad. You can reconfigure and rename an existing one, but you cannot create it from scratch. It’s weird because the function menu needed to make it possible exists, only it is not functional like it is on the 935G.

I have worked around this in all my GMRS radios by creating a bank of preconfigured memories without CTCSS or DCS codes for every repeater pair. That gives me the ability to use the keypad to finish configuring it in the field on the fly. It has proven priceless for me.

I am not aware of any Mac software for programming the radio. I personally use RT Systems software.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks for the response Michael. Very helpful.

There are currently no repeaters in my area on channels 575, 600, and 675. But there are 2 repeaters on 725. If I understand correctly, I can re-purpose one of those channels to pick up the second 725? I can re-name one of those 3 channels, but is it possible to change the frequency to 725 with the appropriate tone?

I see RT Systems has the KG1000 software & cable. What's a bit intimidating is the installation on my MAC. I'll investigate further.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response Michael. Very helpful.
There are currently no repeaters in my area on channels 575, 600, and 675. But there are 2 repeaters on 725. If I understand correctly, I can re-purpose one of those channels to pick up the second 725? I can re-name one of those 3 channels, but is it possible to change the frequency to 725 with the appropriate tone?
I see RT Systems has the KG1000 software & cable. What's a bit intimidating is the installation on my MAC. I'll investigate further.

Thanks!

By repurpose, I mean you can change the name of the channel and any codes (CTCSS and DCS) as needed. But you cannot change the frequency of a memory channel.

So what I was trying to say earlier, is that you can create a bunch of memory channels preconfigured for certain frequencies, but without codes. Then, when you have a new repeater you wish to configure you grab one of those spare ones you entered in advance and add the codes you need and rename the channel to suit. For example, on my radio, I have a number of configured memory channels for 700 repeaters. These have a useful name, and correct codes. I then have about 6 additional spares already created for more 700 repeaters. These have no codes and are simply named with generic names 700-A, 700-B, etc…. If I happen to need to add another 700 repeater channel while in the field, I repurpose one of the existing spare ones (like the 700-A). I will then give it the correct codes and then name it something like ‘700-CNVL’. Done.

Hope that is more clear.

BTW, RT System software is fairly easy to use. It has a good help file, and they offer tech support.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

15 minutes ago, mbrun said:

By repurpose, I mean you can change the name of the channel and any codes (CTCSS and DCS) as needed. But you cannot change the frequency of a memory channel.

So what I was trying to say earlier, is that you can create a bunch of memory channels preconfigured for certain frequencies, but without codes. Then, when you have a new repeater you wish to configure you grab one of those spare ones you entered in advance and add the codes you need and rename the channel to suit. For example, on my radio, I have a number of configured memory channels for 700 repeaters. These have a useful name, and correct codes. I then have about 6 additional spares already created for more 700 repeaters. These have no codes and are simply named with generic names 700-A, 700-B, etc…. If I happen to need to add another 700 repeater channel while in the field, I repurpose one of the existing spare ones (like the 700-A). I will then give it the correct codes and then name it something like ‘700-CNVL’. Done.

Hope that is more clear.

BTW, RT System software is fairly easy to use. It has a good help file, and they offer tech support.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Ok, got it. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. 

bob

@HCCFCA I have some seriously good news for you. Who says an old dog can’t learn new tricks? This old dog just learned one! What is it? There is indeed a way to create new repeater channels on the KG-1000G on the fly! Why did I miss it? Blinded by behavior expectations derived from past experiences.

You can build a repeater memory channel from scratch, you can copy an existing one into new memory channel, and you can completely overwrite and existing one with a new one. WooHoo!

First the reference. On Page 40 of the owners manual you will find some supporting information.

Lets start with an easy one. Duplicating an existing channel.

Lets say you have an existing repeater channel that works on a 550. Now lets say you encounter a need to add another 550 repeater, only with different codes and name.

1) Activate the existing memory channel on your radio that you wish to duplicate. (The next steps will copy its settings into a new memory location).
2) Press [4] on your keypad.
3) Enter the three digit memory channel location you want to want to receive the current channels settings. (Make sure you enter all 3 digits).
4) Press [Menu]. You just duplicated the configuration, all except the name and the new channel becomes the current channel.
5) Press [Menu]+[2]+[2]+[Menu] to enter channel naming mode.
6) Enter a name for the channel using your keypad. (Refer to page 50 of the manual for how to do this).
7) Press [Menu] when complete. Whatever name appeared on the display at this time is now the name of your new new channel.
8) While keeping your new channel the active channel, customize its CTCSS and DCS settings to suit. You’re now done.

The hardest and most time consuming part of the above is channel naming. Other than that, pretty simple.

This next sequence is for creating a repeater memory channel from scratch.

1) Put your radio into VFO mode.
2) Enter the Rx frequency.
3) Press [7] key multiple times until only a ‘+’ symbol appears above the displayed frequency.
4) Press [Menu]+[4]+[Menu]+[0]+[0]+[5]+[Menu]. (This establishes the 5 MHz offset frequency).
5) Complete entry of your preference of CTCSS and DCS codes. (Refer to owners manual).
6) Press [4] on your keypad.
7) Enter the three digit memory channel location you want to want to receive the current settings. (Make sure you enter all 3 digits).
8) Press [Menu] to commit the number. You just created a new memory configuration.
8) Switch radio to Channel Mode. Your radio should be on the channel you just created.
9) Enter the channel name as described in the steps described earlier.

An there you have it. Fully field programmable.

* An important note. You must move pretty quickly through the steps otherwise the radio times out and returns to normal operation. You will find yourself repeating steps if you do not move fast enough.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, mbrun said:

@HCCFCA I have some seriously good news for you. Who says an old dog can’t learn new tricks? This old dog just learned one! What is it? There is indeed a way to create new repeater channels on the KG-1000G on the fly! Why did I miss it? Blinded by behavior expectations derived from past experiences.

You can build a repeater memory channel from scratch, you can copy an existing one into new memory channel, and you can completely overwrite and existing one with a new one. WooHoo!

First the reference. On Page 40 of the owners manual you will find some supporting information.

Lets say you have an existing repeater channel that works on a 550. Now lets say you encounter a need to add another 550 repeater, only with different codes and name.

1) Activate the existing memory channel on your radio that you wish to duplicate. (The next steps will copy its settings into a new memory location).
3) Enter the three digit memory channel location you want to want to receive the current channels settings. (Make sure you enter all 3 digits).
4) Press [Menu]. You just duplicated the configuration, all except the name and the new channel becomes the current channel.
6) Enter a name for the channel using your keypad. (Refer to page 50 of the manual for how to do this).
7) Press [Menu] when complete. Whatever name appeared on the display at this time is now the name of your new new channel.
? While keeping your new channel the active channel, customize its CTCSS and DCS settings to suit. You’re now done.

The hardest and most time consuming part of the above is channel naming. Other than that, pretty simple.

3) Press [7] key multiple times until only a ‘+’ symbol appears above the displayed frequency.
4) Press [Menu]+[4]+[Menu]+[0]+[0]+[5]+[Menu]. (This establishes the 5 MHz offset frequency).
5) Complete entry of your preference of CTCSS and DCS codes. (Refer to owners manual).
7) Enter the three digit memory channel location you want to want to receive the current settings. (Make sure you enter all 3 digits).
? Press [Menu] to commit the number. You just created a new memory configuration.
? Switch radio to Channel Mode. Your radio should be on the channel you just created.

* An important note. You must move pretty quickly through the steps otherwise the radio times out and returns to normal operation. You will find yourself repeating steps if you do not move fast enough.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Wow good info Michael!

19 hours ago, mbrun said:

So what I was trying to say earlier, is that you can create a bunch of memory channels preconfigured for certain frequencies, but without codes. Then, when you have a new repeater you wish to configure you grab one of those spare ones you entered in advance and add the codes you need and rename the channel to suit. For example, on my radio, I have a number of configured memory channels for 700 repeaters. These have a useful name, and correct codes. I then have about 6 additional spares already created for more 700 repeaters. These have no cod

2 hours ago, mbrun said:

? While keeping your new channel the active channel, customize its CTCSS and DCS settings to suit. You’re now done.

? Press [Menu] to commit the number. You just created a new memory configuration.
? Switch radio to Channel Mode. Your radio should be on the channel you just created.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

WOW! This is exactly the step-by-step process I was hoping existed. This is awesome. I hope other folks reading this will be able to use it as well. Thanks Michael!

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Ok, got it. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. 

bob

On 4/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, serrasalmus said:

great idea!

only ones i can think about right now are.

mic extension cable a standard cat5 cable works (don't remember who originally found this but thank you)

for a remote head mount cable u can make your own for that perfect install, just make sure what ever standard u use, that you reverse pins 2 and 4 on one end

What distance have you successfully extended the display? 

It just got to wondering how many KG-1000G owners are actually familiar with and use the Priority Channel feature on this radio. So this post is for you.

If you a KG-1000G owner, are you aware that you can set a priority channel? Are you aware that, unlike many other radios, even when you are tuned to different channel, and even when both of your receivers are tuned to different channels, that transmissions from your designated priority channel will still come through? Did you realize it will do this when you are not scanning?

It is a very cool and useful feature. Yes, it requires the software to preset the channel, but once the channel has been set you can enable and disable the feature from the radio. It makes it sort of like a poor mans “Three-Watch” (as contrasted with Dual-Watch) radio. Of course, poor is relative.

When the feature is enabled (function menu 23), the radio checks the priority channel in the background every few seconds. If a transmission is detected, the priority channel breaks through, no matter what channel(s) you may currently be tuned to.

Admittedly it has some weaknesses. Recently I submitted recommendations for improvement to make it more useful and convenient to set up.

Since this a tips and tricks thread, I thought I would pass this on.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 1/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, WROQ886 said:

What distance have you successfully extended the display? 

Yes - I have the head 50 feet away from the base.  Base is in the basement, head is upstairs in my office.  I suspect you could go farther but at some point the resistance in the network cable would probably cause it to not work correctly/at all.  I've had nothing but positive reports on radio checks running 50 feet and a 12.34v power supply (old server power supply I had laying around).

On 4/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, SkylinesSuck said:

I've been listening to local fire and sheriff's dispatch in addition to air traffic control in my area as well. My kids get a kick out of hearing me at work on it.

Has anybody tried the Wouxan Bluetooth mic? I'm also looking for a good external speaker for it but I can't find what impedance the radio wants. It's just not loud enough in my noisy Jeep for me.

WOUXAN BLUETOOTH MIC.................anyone tried it?

On 4/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, serrasalmus said:

great idea!

only ones i can think about right now are.

mic extension cable a standard cat5 cable works (don't remember who originally found this but thank you)

for a remote head mount cable u can make your own for that perfect install, just make sure what ever standard u use, that you reverse pins 2 and 4 on one end

Maybe I am too late, but the pins to reverse are 5 and 7 and not 2 and 4.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, mbrun said:

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I followed Michaels instructions and they worked like a charm. Thank you!

WOUXAN BLUETOOTH MIC.................anyone tried it?
I'm using this speaker and its working great.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007841794

Note that there are separate connections for the A and B radios, so if you want to hear both, you either need a Y cable or you need to buy two of these.

I'm also curious about the Bluetooth mic, but my experience with a Bearcat bluetooth CB mic was not good.  It had to be VERY close to the transmitter and people complained about my voice being very tinny (more so than normal CB)