National Net on the Last Sunday of Every Month

Recently we have begun holding the National GMRS Net once per month on the last Sunday of each month. This is due to reduced interest in holding a weekly net, and due to quickly running out of fresh topics to discuss.

We will still link each regional hub together nationally each week during the same time period, but won't hold the net on the other weeks. Feel free to chat on Sunday evenings and make distant contacts during this time, but also please be mindful to not hog the repeater system so others can jump in there and participate as well.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 3:14 PM, rdunajewski said:

Recently we have begun holding the National GMRS Net once per month on the last Sunday of each month. This is due to reduced interest in holding a weekly net, and due to quickly running out of fresh topics to discuss.

We will still link each regional hub together nationally each week during the same time period, but won't hold the net on the other weeks. Feel free to chat on Sunday evenings and make distant contacts during this time, but also please be mindful to not hog the repeater system so others can jump in there and participate as well.

Hi there. Newly licensed GMRS user. I live in Providence, RI and was wondering how I could participate and if there's a way that the National GMRS Net reaches out this far? Also, would you know how to program a GMRS repeater and if there are tones in the CHIRP application?

2 hours ago, Tru said:

Hi there. Newly licensed GMRS user. I live in Providence, RI and was wondering how I could participate and if there's a way that the National GMRS Net reaches out this far? Also, would you know how to program a GMRS repeater and if there are tones in the CHIRP application?

There's a couple options to join the net; first is if there's a linked repeater in your area (check the map), and if so, whether it's linked in for the net.  i CAN vouch that CHIRP absolutely can assist with inputting the codes you need to access a repeater (CHIRP is just programming your radio; you tell it what tone you need, and it generates them as needed in use), but you will need to know the appropriate code for the repeater you want to use (which, if the owner is making it available, will be listed on the map/repeater listing.

aside from repeaters, it's possible to join the net via the zello app..i know there are 3 or 4 zello nodes that are either repeaters linked in, or a simplex node that's able to access a linked repeater; some of the groups will allow users access via a protected zello channel to join the net (but protected to ensure only licensed users have access to the actual radio hardware.  

6 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

There's a couple options to join the net; first is if there's a linked repeater in your area (check the map), and if so, whether it's linked in for the net.  i CAN vouch that CHIRP absolutely can assist with inputting the codes you need to access a repeater (CHIRP is just programming your radio; you tell it what tone you need, and it generates them as needed in use), but you will need to know the appropriate code for the repeater you want to use (which, if the owner is making it available, will be listed on the map/repeater listing.

aside from repeaters, it's possible to join the net via the zello app..i know there are 3 or 4 zello nodes that are either repeaters linked in, or a simplex node that's able to access a linked repeater; some of the groups will allow users access via a protected zello channel to join the net (but protected to ensure only licensed users have access to the actual radio hardware.  

I was thinking of Zello as well, do you know of any that are linked?  Like is mygmrs one?

1 hour ago, MacJack said:

I was thinking of Zello as well, do you know of any that are linked?  Like is mygmrs one?

I don't think the mygmrs one is linked to a node.

Fairly sure the Tucson group has one (that is password protected), and I think there may a Midwest one and one in either Bronx or New Jersey that is either linked to a repeater, or linked to a node with access to a repeater.

2 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I don't think the mygmrs one is linked to a node.

Fairly sure the Tucson group has one (that is password protected), and I think there may a Midwest one and one in either Bronx or New Jersey that is either linked to a repeater, or linked to a node with access to a repeater.

Thanks I will check it out.

21 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I'll take a look. Quite a few nearby me require permission or use and I've been trying to get in touch with no luck yet. 

Also, to use Zello / Nodes would I have to have my own repeater system set up via the internet? I only own handhelds like midlands and btech's currently and I when I have free time I try to driver around and catch signal. I'm actually trying to figure out how to catch signal since there are some repeaters that are close by me but I dont hear anything. Occasionally it sounds like i pick up people working at a jobsite i'm not sure but thats a bout it. So far, its been pretty quiet.

51 minutes ago, Tru said:

I only own handhelds like midlands and btech's currently and I when I have free time I try to driver around and catch signal. I'm actually trying to figure out how to catch signal since there are some repeaters that are close by me but I dont hear anything. Occasionally it sounds like i pick up people working at a jobsite i'm not sure but thats a bout it. So far, its been pretty quiet.

I don't think the Midland radios will support it, but if you can program your Btech radio to receive the repeater input frequencies, you might be able to scan them to see what other users are sending out to the repeaters. Since the repeater output frequencies can also be used for simplex, you might hear that and think it's a repeater output when it actually isn't. My recommendation is to scan both the repeater inputs and the repeater outputs to find out what's being used in your area.

In my area, there isn't a lot of use that I've heard, except when my family is using our radios. I've occasionally picked up some four wheelers passing through, or kids using FRS radios, but otherwise there isn't a lot of use on the GMRS bands here.

As for listening to the net, I believe you should be able to hear it through the MyGMRS website, but I haven't confirmed that yet. Since I learned of it, I haven't been home when the net was happening.

1 hour ago, Tru said:

I'll take a look. Quite a few nearby me require permission or use and I've been trying to get in touch with no luck yet. 

Also, to use Zello / Nodes would I have to have my own repeater system set up via the internet? I only own handhelds like midlands and btech's currently and I when I have free time I try to driver around and catch signal. I'm actually trying to figure out how to catch signal since there are some repeaters that are close by me but I dont hear anything. Occasionally it sounds like i pick up people working at a jobsite i'm not sure but thats a bout it. So far, its been pretty quiet.

If you're going the Zello route (because there's no repeaters in range linked to the net, you're skipping using a radio and replacing it with a smartphone app or computer program.  In this scenario, Zello is a means of access to either a repeater that's linked to the net, or a radio that's set up to access a repater that's linked.

Ideally, if you have a repeater within radio range (even an external antenna will make a difference with the Btech), that's the better route, as it skips the lags inherent in the app.  Some of the permission thing really boils down to the repeater owners wanting to keep track of who's using the repeaters, and covering themselves on making sure the users are licensed.  It's not impossible that the repeaters youre looking for are there, but inactive....though it's also possible they're no longer there and someone just didn't remove the listing.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, rdunajewski said:

Hello. I would like to join the National GMRS Net conversation. However, I am fairly sure (checked map) that there is no repeater available. My only option, from what I understand is to utilize Zello. I am in the South West region. Can anyone help me out? 

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, djxs said:

Hello. I would like to join the National GMRS Net conversation. However, I am fairly sure (checked map) that there is no repeater available. My only option, from what I understand is to utilize Zello. I am in the South West region. Can anyone help me out? 

It's not your only option. You could also sponsor a node and then add coverage to your area.

• 1 year later...

A pal and I are going to join the Net tonight via a local repeater that I've recently been informed is linked.  No problem hitting the repeater from my easy chain via HT.  I think he's in the same range.

Should be a hoot.

Ground rules?  Do we need to ID when we join?  What are protocols?

I don't want to be that guy and interrupt or break some rule first time actively in (I've listened in via laptop and the Tucson group in the past).

We're with a bunch that use GMRS and local repeaters for our off-road gang trail runs.  Getting more and more friends onboard with GMRS.

31 minutes ago, Extreme said:

A pal and I are going to join the Net tonight via a local repeater that I've recently been informed is linked.  No problem hitting the repeater from my easy chain via HT.  I think he's in the same range.

Should be a hoot.

Ground rules?  Do we need to ID when we join?  What are protocols?

I don't want to be that guy and interrupt or break some rule first time actively in (I've listened in via laptop and the Tucson group in the past).

We're with a bunch that use GMRS and local repeaters for our off-road gang trail runs.  Getting more and more friends onboard with GMRS.

Usually on a net you just listen until called on to check in.  Sometimes it’s very difficult to get in to check in, but there’s almost always a bit of a lull.  

Once they build a list of checked in people they might go around again, asking for a report, which can include anything from weather to signal reports to type of radio and antenna you’re using.

My advice is to listen until you feel comfortable. For me that sometimes takes a while. ?

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

Usually on a net you just listen until called on to check in.  Sometimes it’s very difficult to get in to check in, but there’s almost always a bit of a lull.  

Once they build a list of checked in people they might go around again, asking for a report, which can include anything from weather to signal reports to type of radio and antenna you’re using.

My advice is to listen until you feel comfortable. For me that sometimes takes a while. ?

Ya, kind of what I had planned.  

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Extreme said:

Missed the net.  Buddy had emergency dryer replacement and needed me to pick it up at just the wrong time.

Maybe next month.

There are lots of nets, many weekly.  Also, I believe there’s a YouTube recording of a MyGMRS net if you want to hear how they’re conducted.

• 4 months later...