Your First and current GMRS HT

WRKH655

I'm new to the community and still waiting for my new HTs. After a lot of research, I ordered two BTech GMRS Pros. They appear to be at the upper end of the CCRs with the flexibility to program for simplex and duplex operations and have built-in GPS without having to spend hundreds of $$.

Mark

WRUB258

First GMRS was the Motorola MT355R. It was a blister pack GMRS / FRS radio that was compatible with repeaters. I didn't have a GMRS license, so would just listen on the upper channels and would transmit in low power on the first 14 channels.

Second was after the MT355Rs stopped working; got some GTX1000 radios, and a license (that was earlier this year).

Third was the MXT275, which I have mounted in my Bronco with the Midland 6db antenna using a hood lip mount.

Fourth is a pair of Baofeng UV-5G radios. They're fun, but really the Midlands sound better.

I intend to pick up either a KG905G or KG935G in the next few weeks.

So, first: MT355R. Current: GTX1000, MXT275, an UV-5G; I use all three models now.

I usually give the Midland GTX1000 radios to the kids because they're the simplest. Just set them to the channel and code, and lock them.

• 1 month later...

My first GMRS radio ever was a beat up, used Kenwood NX300 K4 (400 - 470MHz).  I still have it and it works fine.  My current EDC radio is a new (not new now lol) Kenwood NX300 K4.  I've tried LOTS of radios (Including Motorola commercials) and I keep going back to my trusty NX300 because it's an absolute unit and is insane reliable.  The only upgrades I've done to it are the larger 4500mah pouch cell battery (Fatter) and upgraded to a Panorama 450 - 470MHz antenna!

14 minutes ago, JB007Rules said:

My first GMRS radio ever was a beat up, used Kenwood NX300 K4 (400 - 470MHz).  I still have it and it works fine.  My current EDC radio is a new (not new now lol) Kenwood NX300 K4.  I've tried LOTS of radios (Including Motorola commercials) and I keep going back to my trusty NX300 because it's an absolute unit and is insane reliable.  The only upgrades I've done to it are the larger 4500mah pouch cell battery (Fatter) and upgraded to a Panorama 450 - 470MHz antenna!

I have several of those NX-300's. They are very nice radios. Might be a bit on the heavy side and a little bit too bulky for shirt pocket carry.

The very narrow 6.25KHz NXDN mode would be a great fit to use on the nearly useless FRS/GMRS interstitial channels that are limited to 0.5 watts and 12.5 KHz bandwidth. The guard band between the repeater channels is 5 KHz and the FCC emission for the very narrow NXDN mode is 4K00, which fits in there with no adjacent channel overlap compared to the narrow band FM currently allowed at 11K0. Now all we have to do is get the FCC to change their mind.

My first (about 6 months ago when I received my callsign) was the Baofeng UV-9G. It's a great little radio, and I still use it often, and my daughter uses it all the time, too. 

#2 was the BTech GMRS-V2 which I really like. It has some features that you'd only expect from high end radios. This one is the one my wife carries.

My latest purchase was a Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro. I was a little shocked at the difference in usability, sound quality, and reception when I stepped up to a Superheterodyne radio.

Overall though, all of my radios have a purpose, and all are a very good fit for their purpose. 

My first walkie hearie was a UV-5R and my first walkie talkie was a BTech GMRS-Pro. Since then I've also got a midland mobile 275.  got a dipole antenna coming in to finish my SDR build.  I'm still super new to GMRS and treat it like a hobby at the moment, only joined one local repeater group so far as a SHTF assist. 

My first were a pair of Midland GXT's.
My current ones are a Baofeng UV9R+ and a F8HP with the 3800mAh battery and a dual-band Signal Stick for 2m and Nagoya NA-701G's for GMRS. Even though the stock duck on the F8HP is apparently the same one they supply with their GMRS radios, I just wanted a better antenna.
I've also got a VHF mag-mount antenna for the truck.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my license a few weeks ago and ordered up a KG-935G the same day. The next day I searched Craigslist for GMRS and I'll be darn if there wasn't another KG-935G with N9TAX dual band Slim Jim antenna, a KB9VBR GMRS J-Pole and a Nagoya NA-771G rubber ducky listed for sale and bought the package. Ended up with 2 KG-935's and 4 different antenna combinations. It's kinda cool having two 935G's and be able to compare different antenna's in real time. The Slim Jim is the clear winner so far.

1 hour ago, WRUZ229 said:

I’m looking for a high end HT and I like the Motorola brand, but I’m wondering how you get those to work on GMRS?

Does anyone know if they are compatible with repeater tones? (Split tone?)

Any info is appreciated.

I'm primarily a Kenwood guy but I do have several of the older Motorola XPR-6550 radios.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/261-e451d5e2-f358-40dd-95a1-af106f7e8584jpeg/

Yes they can be programmed to work on GMRS. However I checked my documentation and non of the FCC certification grants show Part 95 on them so technically they are not legal to use. I have no idea if any Motorola commercial grade radios that will work on GMRS carry Part 95 certification. To start off with you should be looking for a radio that has it regardless of manufacture anyway.

On the other hand a number of my Kenwood radios have Part 95A certification and are legal. The one I carry around lately is the TK-3170 Type-1.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/9/TK-2170&3170Brochure.pdf

Another one that a few have as well is the TK-3180 Type-1. While the Type-2 will work only the Type-1 has Part 95A certification.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/10/TK-2180&3180Brochure.pdf

I do have a collection of other radios some of which also have Part 95A certification. If you have questions about those I can help with that.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/249-934916052_radiocollectionjpg/

Here's a couple of photos of the mid-tier radios I have.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/254-tk-5320-1jpg/

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/251-nx-300jpg/

This is a cool radio, will work on GMRS, BUT it doesn't have Part 95 certification, doesn't have an FCC ID either since it was never sold in the US! Bummer. Works great on the Ham bands for DMR and FM, which is why I got it.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/255-tk-d300e-fmdmr/

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/271-new-in-the-box-tk-d300e/

About 8 years ago, I picked up my first three pack of Motorola T200 GMRS blister-pack for simple hiking, caravan trips, and emergency preparedness. I upgraded to the Motorola T480 with NOAA, FM Radio, always plugged in (with a light for power outages!) next to my bed... then after I received my FCC license this year, I have added a pair of Radioditty gm-30s, with a Radioditty gs-5b as a SHTF ham radio... next will be a mobile/base station, like the Radioddity DB-20G... down the rabbit hole is right!

WQRC299 aka Rob

Edited by WRQC299
added mobile GMRS radio.

• 1 month later...

had many bubble packs in my life but currently lean on my Retevis 5r's. Have reached out 20 miles with them, am not sharing details on how i did that to protect the guilty. trust me these are now used for low power car to car, camping, wheeling family connection. good all around units tho.

1 hour ago, dugcyn said:

had many bubble packs in my life but currently lean on my Retevis 5r's. Have reached out 20 miles with them, am not sharing details on how i did that to protect the guilty. trust me these are now used for low power car to car, camping, wheeling family connection. good all around units tho.

I’ve done a 75 mile repeater hit with my 5r using a junkyard yagi while standing on my roof.

Current is same as the old atm. UV5R and 5G