K1000G - How Hot Does it Get?

JackFlack

Question

I'm installing a K1000G in my 2021 Silverado 1500 and have concluded that the only reasonable place for me to mount the radio is in the large "bucket" console between the seats. However, given that is an enclosed space, I'm a bit worried about heat buildup in the console. If it is too hot, I may need to mod the console to allow for some airflow.

Can anyone tell me how hot this radio gets when transmitting 50W?

Inkedimageinterior_LI.jpg

11 answers to this question

I'm installing a K1000G in my 2021 Silverado 1500 and have concluded that the only reasonable place for me to mount the radio is in the large "bucket" console between the seats. However, given that is an enclosed space, I'm a bit worried about heat buildup in the console. If it is too hot, I may need to mod the console to allow for some airflow.
Can anyone tell me how hot this radio gets when transmitting 50W?
Inkedimageinterior_LI.jpg.13f1607e0d188cc5ab45c63280172d1a.jpg

Hot is truly relative. The hotter the ambient temperature, the more insulated the enclosure and the more you transmit the higher the temperature around the radio (and the radio itself) is going to get.

I can tell you that the 1000G is warm just sitting idle but the radio gives off somewhere around 75 watts of heat locally when transmitting at full power. 75 watts will heat up that compartment quite nicely if transmitting with a high duty cycle.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order to satisfy your curiosity. I personally would be looking into ways the enclosure could be ventilated.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I have several KG-1000Gs and speak from experience when I say that If there is no circulating air, it WILL get too hot/overheat.. 

Why not throw the chassis under the seat somewhere, and put the remote-mount faceplate wherever you want it?  That is the best feature of the KG-1000G..

i have mine in my center console. my center console is not a large one as its in a 95 jeep. i havemy fan set to be on all the time, and ive nvr had it overheat on me yet. i also live in colorado so its def not because it hasnt been hot...however for mine i did cut a hole in the bottom of the console to run the wires thru so that may be helping. pictures are in the jeep and radios thread

As @OffRoaderXsuggested, the KG1000 has a removable face place. Your best option is to detach it. Mount the unit underneath and the faceplate up on the dash somewhere. If anything, the installation will look much cleaner. 

I have the MXT275 MICROMOBILE® TWO-WAY RADIO mounted in the bucket console of the Impala and it gets a bit hot. Granted, it only puts 15 watts!

thumbnail_63260713627__72BF08D2-4DD5-46BE-89DC-8E9BEAA1FE9F.jpg

thumbnail_63260712351__B708F2C9-5236-458F-8BBB-6203E9025685.jpg

thumbnail_63260711626__4CAF0AC6-2D41-4D69-9E66-C475306B073B.jpg

Wouxun KG-1000G Specifications

• Dimensions: 5.51 in. x 1.73in. x 8.14 in. (140mm × 44mm × 207mm)
  • Weight (Including Microphone): 3.16 lbs. (1437.8g)
  • Power Requirement: 13.8VDC+/- 15% (Negative Grounded)
  • Antenna ConnectRor Type: SO-239 (UHF Female)
  • REMBER THE Front Panel Bracket COMES OFF THE BODY AND CAN BE MOUNTED SEPARATELY 
  • Remote Front Panel Bracket
  • Remote Front Panel Bracket Display HAS 15 ft. Extension / Repeater Mode Cable (SMO-002)

On 7/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, TOM47 said:

Wouxun KG-1000G Specifications

• Dimensions: 5.51 in. x 1.73in. x 8.14 in. (140mm × 44mm × 207mm)
  • Weight (Including Microphone): 3.16 lbs. (1437.8g)
  • Power Requirement: 13.8VDC+/- 15% (Negative Grounded)
  • Antenna ConnectRor Type: SO-239 (UHF Female)
  • REMBER THE Front Panel Bracket COMES OFF THE BODY AND CAN BE MOUNTED SEPARATELY 
  • Remote Front Panel Bracket
  • Remote Front Panel Bracket Display HAS 15 ft. Extension / Repeater Mode Cable (SMO-002)

Thank you @TOM47