Midland mxt not transmitting

Guest MJROMATADT

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, Guest MJROMATADT said:

New radio will not transmit. Midland sent another radio, it will not transmit either. What could be the problem ?

Are you sure it's not transmitting? Have you checked for signal with another radio? If so, are you sure the CTCSS/DCS codes are correctly configured or not used at all? Are you sure the receiving radio is on the same frequency as the transmitting radio?

If yes to all of the above, you may have a short in your feed line to the antenna. Do you have adequate power to the radio?

A feed line short would prevent the radio from transmitting, and would be common to the antenna system rather than the radio. That could be why neither radio you tried would transmit.

A poor (e.g. low current) power source could also interfere with transmission, as there may not be enough power to the radio. Provided this was the same in both cases, it could also be the reason neither radio would transmit.

Those would be the first things I would check.

A little more information would be helpful so we can help you figure things out. First, how are you testing the radio output? Are you using another radio to receive? What channel(s) are you using? What model(s) of radio(s) are you using? Are you using a CTCSS or DCS code on transmit? ...on receive? ...on both?

Answers to these questions and anything else you can provide will help us to help you.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, Guest MJROMATADT said:

New radio will not transmit. Midland sent another radio, it will not transmit either. What could be the problem ?

Which Midland radio? I have a MXT400 and it worked just fine out of the box. I thought my radio wasn't working either until I learned how to set repeater tones. What confused me, because I was such a noob, is that I was listening to a repeater when I thought I was listening to someone local and using simplex. As already stated, find someone with a radio and see if you can talk simplex. I even found a pair of old bubble-pack Motorola Handy-talkies I forgot I had, and even those had tones preset in. The handy talkies could talk to each other, and I could hear them on my HT, but my HT couldn't talk back. Very confusing until I figured it out.

Good Luck.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:36 PM, Guest MJROMATADT said:

I had one that did the same thing.  It transmitted for awhile then quit.  I think it still transmitted on the FRS low power frequencies, IIRC, but not on the high power channels.  I bought it for around 100 bucks and then sold it for parts on Ebay for around 75 bucks.  

I know it wasn't transmitting because I reset factory defaults, checked codes, etc.

Guest cequeso

New to the group and GMRS.

I purchased a midland MTX275. 

The microunit can send and broadcast on low power settings channels 1-7.

I have the radio set for repeater mode and attempted to tune a repeater channel to Greens Peak 575.

I set my PT to CS and selected repeater channel 16 and the tone in value provided in this website.

Am I missing a step?

Guest Greens Peak 575
4 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Do you know if the repeater is actually a functioning repeater ? If your display says 16r then it should be set correct. you need your tone set to the repeater tones.

Good morning - I believe the repeater is still functioning because I'm seeing receiving incoming comms.  Looking at the repeater, it's "no tone" for "Tone Out" and I entered the referenced tone for the "tone in".  I'm using a kit so I would think that Midland would ship product that should work out of the box.

3 hours ago, Guest Greens Peak 575 said:

Good morning - I believe the repeater is still functioning because I'm seeing receiving incoming comms.  Looking at the repeater, it's "no tone" for "Tone Out" and I entered the referenced tone for the "tone in".  I'm using a kit so I would think that Midland would ship product that should work out of the box.

Does yours have the old square usb, or the newer usb-c on the body?

Older models didn't allow you to program different tones for transmit and receive, or a transmit tone with no receive tone. If you have the older model, when you set that transmit tone, it's also expecting to hear the same tone on receive. The newer usb-c models allow setting separately.

If you have the older model, it's possible you're getting in and just not hearing the response. You may try opening the squelch (press the "Mon" button) when you transmit, and see if you hear it that way.

They're making progress, but it seems like Midland primarily designs their stuff for simplex and compatibility with their own gear, with repeater usage as an afterthought.

• 7 months later...
Guest Jhshag

Might sound funny, is the mic plugged all the way in? There's a spot it clicked on mine before it was fully plugged in. Had to slide the mic plug dust cover up the cable a little and push in all the way. 

• 1 month later...
Guest wron743   midland mx275

my midland mx 275 will receive on repeater channels  (they are properly programmed with correct ctsc) but will not transmit.

what could be the problem

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Guest wron743 midland mx275 said:

my midland mx 275 will receive on repeater channels  (they are properly programmed with correct ctsc) but will not transmit.

what could be the problem

Common problem really.

While "you can hear the repeater" it may not hear your signal.  This is most likely due to distance and obstructions occurring to your signal.  Simply put, your signal isn't reaching the repeater you hear.