Midland MXT575 & MXT500 on Midland website now!

mrweller

59 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

Those situations sound plausible, but most likely wouldn't require the use of a mobile radio...

I understood @bobthetj03to question the need for Channels 8-14 on any GMRS device ("If you want to talk to someone on 0.5 watt, grab your FRS radio and talk to them.") and I answered it in that context.

Bet they do Not have the ability to set up multi repeaters ( using the 8repeater pairs)   naming each,and using different tones on them. If you travel to different areas with repeaters I would think the ability to have 50 or more repeaters stored in your radio would be handy. rather than the way the mxt400 is set up now.

8 hours ago, Papatree said:

Looking at that picture, does that mean you can transmit low power narrowband on channels 8 through 14 on your mobile DB20G?

The versatility of the Part 95(e) certified Radioddity DB20-G (and its clones) has been cited many times on this forum.

I posted that photo for @Greyrider's benefit:

On 11/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, Greyrider said:

I know you can't say anything, but it appears they left out channels 8-14, which are the low power channels. If that is indeed true.... Then I'll be looking elsewhere for a radio with all the channels included....But I have my fingers crossed....

4 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

Woah. $400? Seems like a lot for an analog UHF radio?

Especially one with the seemingly poor reputation that Midland brings to the table: All I know about them is what I have heard in Randy's videos.

If they want to upgrade their quality and user base, they best be offering substantial discounts to get back into the game.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, mrweller said:

I would bet that I am not the only one that is interested in their MXT575 offering

I am interested to see the reviews on this radio when it comes out, yet skeptical of the overall functionality as a GMRS radio.

I love my Midland 75-822 CB, however, returned the MXT275 (still in the box) after during more research while it was being shipped, due to it's restrictive nature as a GMRS rig.

Looking at it on the website, it looks like they may have stepped up their game, but they aren't clear about split tones or programing multiple repeaters with different tones, and the price seems over-the-top (higher price does not always equal better quality or superior serviceability).

Not that I use the low power channels (8-14), I don't like that they omit those channels from the radio...give me the impression that they're unnecessarily  "censoring" the radio's potential and makes me wonder what else they may be regulating on the unit (imho).

Like I said though, they make a fantastic citizens band radio.

1 hour ago, Papatree said:

Not that I use the low power channels (8-14), I don't like that they omit those channels from the radio...give me the impression that they're unnecessarily  "censoring" the radio's potential and makes me wonder what else they may be regulating on the unit (imho).

Does no one read any of the rules ? Those frequencies are only allowed in a portable radio and not mobile. Why would midland add them as receive only ? It would jsut confuse 99% of the market. Why would you think they are "censoring" the radio ? they are following the rules.

Love them or hate them Midland has a huge market in GMRS. They sell an out of the box simple devise. I would bet 95% of the Midland users never uses repeaters and if the do use one repeater. The issue is more licensing in my opinion. over 3/4 of the Jeep guys I talked to at the last Jeep Jamboree had no license but had the Midland radio (Many 275). While its required many people just buy what they perceive as needed. Midland will continue to sell GMRS radios. While many don't like them they are ideal for simple GMRS users. 

20 minutes ago, kb2ztx said:

Does no one read any of the rules ?

There may always be exceptions to the "rules". We all know there are speed limits, however I'm not going to purchase a vehicle that installs a governor that prevents me from excessing the speed limit, if necessary. As a grown adult, with the freedom of choice, I can appreciate a product that does not limit that right the choose, regardless.

26 minutes ago, kb2ztx said:

Midland will continue to sell GMRS radios. While many don't like them they are ideal for simple GMRS users. 

Agreed that many off-roaders using gmrs, that are or aren't licensed users, may not ever use gmrs outside of certain events. However, I believe there is a huge population (and growing) of licensed users that promote GMRS beyond "simple" uses, e.g., community policing, networking, emergency preparedness, a fun hobby, etc., and may have higher expectations from their radios.

That said, Midlands are fine, just not for me at this time, with what I've experienced. Like any other product, acknowledging their pros and cons helps the consumer be better educated in making their own decisions. 

It didn't take me long to out grow the MXT275 I had in my Jeep. We have a repeater in my area that uses split tones, so when I found out I couldn't communicate well with that repeater, I moved on, sold the Midland to a Jeep buddy that just wanted a simple GMRS radio, and purchased a replacement that had many more features. Having to break out the manual to look at which frequency was which channel # and then which tone was which become tiresome. Other than it's limitations, plus narrow band only, it's a solid feeling radio and feels rugged.