Midland MXT400 programming

Sierra71

Question

9 answers to this question

Contacting Midland Service/Tech Support is how some folks on this site have gotten their hands on software. I think you may need to purchase a special cable as well. If you search this site well you may find a link to the software that one of these folks may have shared.

The programming flexibility of Midland radios I believe you will find to be very limited compared to the competition.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Just a newbie here.  Had my MXT400 for two years now or close to it and while having read about the programming phase, I haven't done that for any of the frequencies I use on a limited bases.  My radio is hard mounted in the Jeep and it isn't a daily driver like the work van.

In my location in SC we don't get a lot of activity on the GMRS side of the world at least when I am driving.  It does get used simplex talking to friends during travel to and from wheeling spots when traveling in groups on the hwy and off road.  That counts as little use overall in my book. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I do turn it on even running around the town on short trips with little interaction with others and repeaters.  I carry a book with all the repeater info just in case I am nearby them as well.  Little two way conversation happens there as well.

Most always have it set to SCAN.  I don't see the need to program it for even the yearly events I attend as the channel slections will vary there too.

Good luck with that if it is going to be a base station and get lots of use,  I could see the necessity.

15 hours ago, Sierra71 said:

Got a MXT400 for Christmas how do I program it via computer?

Review this earlier myGMRS forum post for software and cable information.  

I have no experience with Midland, so I cannot verify the information contained in this linked earlier post.

8 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Review this earlier myGMRS forum post for software and cable information.  

I have no experience with Midland, so I cannot verify the information contained in this linked earlier post.

I downloaded programming software, and used my RT Systems cable (for the TYT TH-9000D) and was able to enable WIDEBAND, and add extra repeaters to CH 8-14 slots that are empty on the MXT400. 

1 hour ago, haneysa said:

...and used my RT Systems cable (for the TYT TH-9000D) and...

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what type plug does that cable use to mate with the Midland MXT400?

Also: I thought that Midland was a USA alternative to CCRs from prior posts that I have read here, but with all these criticisms of their radios, I wonder now if they are also a CCR?

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what type plug does that cable use to mate with the Midland MXT400?

Also: I thought that Midland was a USA alternative to CCRs from prior posts that I have read here, but with all these criticisms of their radios, I wonder now if they are also a CCR?

The Midland MXT400 looks nearly identical to the TYT TH-9000D (and its Retevis RT9000D clone), and I suspect also looks largely identical on the inside, too. Other than minor cosmetic changes and different firmware, I suspect they're essentially the same radio. I don't have the Midland, and can't confirm this, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

If you consider the TYT/Retevis 9000D radios to be CCRs, then the Midland will probably also be considered a CCR. This is based on my expectation that these radios are essentially the same. If anyone believes (or knows) otherwise, please chime in.

25 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

If you consider the TYT/Retevis 9000D radios to be CCRs, then the Midland will probably also be considered a CCR. This is based on my expectation that these radios are essentially the same. If anyone believes (or knows) otherwise, please chime in.

Is (are?) either the TYT or Retevis 9000D radios Part 95e certified for Wideband?

23 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Is (are?) either the TYT or Retevis 9000D radios Part 95e certified for Wideband?

Michael,

I haven't looked into this specifically, but I don't believe either of them is so certified. They are not sold as GMRS radios in any configuration I'm aware of (except perhaps as the Midland MXT400), so it's highly unlikely that you'd find one that is certified.