The long-awaited Midland MXT500 is finally here

WREA317

50 Watts AND 15 High Powered GMRS Channels?!?

I can understand a claim of 8 High Powered Channels (Channels 15 - 22); or even 16 High Power Channels (Channels 15 - 30), but 15?!?

midland 500.jpg

gmrs-frs (1.3.22).jpg

I thought we already had a thread on the Midland MXT500; does it deserve two?!?

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

WOW 400 bucks ouch.

For that price, I would go this route instead (link). But, having the programming cables, software, and computer to do the work may bar many from going this route. Just amazed to see a Midland at that price point, even in 2022.  I almost bought one when older models were $100-140, but saw too many reviews about worn/failing microphone cords.

https://used-radios.com/motorola-xpr4550-uhf-403-470mhz-mobile-radio-40w/

7 hours ago, axorlov said:

It's 22 High power channels, 15 Very High power channels, and 8 Ultra High power channels. And a brazillion private codes! For a modest price of $400. And wait, there is more!

Last time I checked, 15 plus 8 = 23!

midland 500.jpg

If you think their statement of "15 High powered GMRS channels" is correct; please show us the mathematics behind it:

Channels 1-22 are High powered, channels 1-7 and 15-22 are Very High powered, channels 15-22 are Blow-your-head-off High powered. The total number of channels is an exercise for the reader.

Not sure if you are serious. If you are serious, then I guess originally it was something like: "15 GMRS channels with the power level higher than FRS", which than was reduced to what you see by marketing department.

19 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Channels 1-22 are High powered, channels 1-7 and 15-22 are Very High powered, channels 15-22 are Blow-your-head-off High powered. The total number of channels is an exercise for the reader.

Not sure if you are serious. If you are serious, then I guess originally it was something like: "15 GMRS channels with the power level higher than FRS", which than was reduced to what you see by marketing department.

I don't find your response persuasive. 

FRS has got nothing to do with it.

Even their own marketing information contradicts their statement about "15 high powered GMRS channels:

Midland MXT500.jpg

At best, it's a typo; at worst, they're idiots!

$400.00 But You DO get an NMO magnet mount with an antenna that does a good job if you have a  good ground plain, and if youwant a different antenna , unscrew the shorty and add a different NMO antenna to the mag mount.

My MXT500 arrives this Friday , looking forward to trying it out in my Jeep.

The image, was an answer in the questions on the Midland MXT500 page, looks like they are getting really serious on becoming the goto brand for GMRS!

043E4E06-BB60-4310-A0A3-9F7D49CACB9D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, jnr0104 said:

$400.00 But You DO get an NMO magnet mount with an antenna that does a good job if you have a  good ground plain, and if youwant a different antenna , unscrew the shorty and add a different NMO antenna to the mag mount.

My MXT500 arrives this Friday , looking forward to trying it out in my Jeep.

The image, was an answer in the questions on the Midland MXT500 page, looks like they are getting really serious on becoming the goto brand for GMRS!

043E4E06-BB60-4310-A0A3-9F7D49CACB9D.jpeg

I'll give them credit for finally including a proper mount (outside of the additional $$ bundles). That response is also an interesting development. Given their current focus on novice users, almost to the expense of features, I'll stay very cautiously optimistic...it IS nice to see they've finally made some progress in features though.

Rt97 competitor on the horizon?

The issue with the RT97 is size. Your not going to get higher power with the duplexer used and radios. As said for some that box is a perfect solution. I replaced my GR1225 in my motorhome with it and was one of the best things I did. I didn't do it for anything other than size and simplicity. The GR1225 took more room and with the fan took alot of power from my system when dry camping. 

In the past Midland had repeaters. I had one in VHF for SAR that was 25 watts before duplexer. We had installed a few UHF when I was at the radio shop also that seemed to be a good basic repeater. Simple basic programming. They since discontinued them but they are out on ebay and other places. The 71-4050 can be found around $300 with some searching.