Midland MXT500

WRJZ943

Just thought I'd pass along that according to Midland Radio Support they will be releasing the MXT500 50 watt micro mobile with split tone capability this year. I'm hoping they'll respond to my email about a more specific time frame.

Also when I inquired about making channel scan changes to the MXT400 they mentioned using the software, and provided me with a link that's only good for a week. If you need that link I suggest contacting their support. They also recommended using their DBR1 Dual Band Radio Programming Cable.

Will it "wideband" 20kHz? 

It should.... And will have NOAA channels as I understand.

My MXT400 came from the factory with the repeater channels set to 25kHz (wideband), contrary to the rumors circulated by those with a bias against Midland radios that it does not support wideband. It is simply amazing that those who do not own one make all these claims as though they are the "gurus" chanting the mantra from the mountain top upon which they seated themselves. It will also do 20kHz if you like.

It can also be software programmed to do split tones, CTSS and  DCS even, on same channel.

You must buy the DBR1 cable from Midland and they give you a limited-life link to the software download when you call them.

I programmed mine to display my call sign on startup

All my simplex channels are programmed as wideband (25kHz).

I programmed the four local repeaters into the empty channel slots that were empty for the 0.5W FRS channels, displaying the repeater names OR CITY, TABOR, OVRLOOK and GRESHAM when they are chosen.

Someone also said programming the radio invalidates the certification. Midland denies this. The radio was certified under Part 95A and as such, is grandfathered under the new parameters specified under Part 95E. As long as the radio is still operating within the Part 95E specifications when programmed, you are fine.

It does what I want., and I am satisfied with my purchase. It doesn't have 10 billion "bells and whistles" to clutter up the menus and programming like some other radios. It doesn't have FM, but my car and my Sangean WR-11 and ATS-909 take care of that.

As a new owner of an MXT400 which I ordered directly from midland (super fast great service!) I have a perhaps silly question: once the software is downloaded, is it able to be used by you for as long as you own your radio?

im happy the radio has less than billions of features, I just need the basic ones but am hoping I also got a better receiver spec than some of their smaller and lower cost models.

thanks for sharing!

Rick

Just thought I'd pass along that according to Midland Radio Support they will be releasing the MXT500 50 watt micro mobile with split tone capability this year. I'm hoping they'll respond to my email about a more specific time frame.

Also when I inquired about making channel scan changes to the MXT400 they mentioned using the software, and provided me with a link that's only good for a week. If you need that link I suggest contacting their support. They also recommended using their DBR1 Dual Band Radio Programming Cable.

Ok, I'm new, so pardon any silly questions.  So you inquired about channel scan changes....meaning you were looking for the split tone capability, or what channel scan changes did you mean?

Is the software the DBR2500 linked on this page, or is it different software?  Looks like you can download it right there, if it is the correct software.

https://midlandusa.com/dbr2500-software-download/

Update...I see now the DBR2500 is a different radio.  I've got a bit to learn before I jump into programming my MXT400, but the cable is fairly reasonable at 14.95.  I may go ahead and grab one to have on hand when I'm ready.

• 3 weeks later...

I also just talked with Midland tech support about the new 50W mobile.  They said there will be an MXT500 (regular mobile version) and an MXT575 version with all controls on the microphone, like the MXT275.  Tech Support (Sara) could not provide a release date but said it would definitely be in 2021.

That is great news!  I'll be all over that 575!  

That is great news!  I'll be all over that 575!  

It will be interesting to see if either the MXT500 or MXT575 will allow configuration via external software.  The problem with Midland is that are just really just resellers of other manufacturers products. So, these two new radios could be based on the previous 275 & 400  (which were unlike each other), or some totally different platform(s).

It will be interesting to see if either the MXT500 or MXT575 will allow configuration via external software.  The problem with Midland is that are just really just resellers of other manufacturers products. So, these two new radios could be based on the previous 275 & 400  (which were unlike each other), or some totally different platform(s).

Not sure why that's a problem if they meet your needs.  They have good customer service, so there's that.

Not sure why that's a problem if they meet your needs.  They have good customer service, so there's that.

Unsolicited comment: midland sells a heck of a lot of radios so it is likely they have quite a lot of influence over whoever is manufacturing the radios for them.  There is at least a chance, that they own or have some kind of stake in such a business and some other radios are offshoots of their efforts or directions.  I'm thinking that we, the people on this forum may not totally be in the mainstream when wanting to connect a computer to the GMRS radio in our Jeep or whatever.  If I was Midland, having to certify, market and support these types of radios I doubt customer low-level programming is something I would find advantageous.  I'd want a fool-proof, reliable radio with compatible accessories.

having said that, I want programming access to my MXT400 but to be sure, I have not run into real limitations with it yet.  I'm going to guess it is transmitting in the wide band mode on repeaters just because it sounds strong. With my suboptimally  mounted Midland 6db whip antenna, yesterday I reached a repeater 40+ miles away.

im not bashing commercial radios but I'm not dissatisfied in having purchased a nice clean new radio from Midland directly with super fast service vs me having to dig the Cooties out of some icky old taxi cab radio.  :P

sorry for the rant but sometimes a different point of view can be worth considering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm new, so pardon any silly questions.  So you inquired about channel scan changes....meaning you were looking for the split tone capability, or what channel scan changes did you mean?

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have several repeaters in my area and a simplex channel the family uses that I like to monitor. Rather than scan through all the channels I wanted to only scan CH 18, and the 3 or 4 repeater channels. That way I could leave my radio in scan mode and not have it stop on other channels I have no interest in monitoring.

Sound like you want a radio that has group scan where you put the channels into a group you want to scan or scan some other group even all...  The two radios I know who can do group scan is KG-1000g mobile or base config or HT KG-905G which I have and works so well.

If anyone knows of other radios that allows you to do grouping to add channels into a group to scan, I would like to know for knowledge.  

Jack

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have several repeaters in my area and a simplex channel the family uses that I like to monitor. Rather than scan through all the channels I wanted to only scan CH 18, and the 3 or 4 repeater channels. That way I could leave my radio in scan mode and not have it stop on other channels I have no interest in monitoring.

If anyone knows of other radios that allows you to do grouping to add channels into a group to scan, I would like to know for knowledge.  

Jack

Are you asking about just Part 95 radios or any radio that can do the group scan?

I'm asking before I answer, so I don't open the usual can of worms

Sound like you want a radio that has group scan where you put the channels into a group you want to scan or scan some other group even all...  The two radios I know who can do group scan is KG-1000g mobile or base config or HT KG-905G which I have and works so well.

Jack

My MXT90 actually makes it easy to add remove channels from the scan, but it's not repeater capable. The Kenwood TK-880's I have will allow you to do what you're talking about. My MXT400 with software will allow you to add/remove from scan. I've not tried it yet on my KG-805G's

• 2 weeks later...

I think group scanning is a terrific feature and useful for applications like the one mentioned.  Many families designate a channel and use one or two repeaters, a quick-cycling scan through just a few channels ensures reliable coms for a family group.

So funny for me to learn just now of the  MXT575 in the pipeline as I installed an MXT275 in the bride's suv just yesterday.  Really wanted a higher power radio, cost wasn't the issue, dashboard real estate was.  Having the display on the mic was the single feature that drove me to that radio.  Woulda gone with the Wouxan 1000g otherwise, which I think has a removable head unit, but even then room was scarce and the wiring up makes the install a much bigger challenge.  I would absolutely upgrade to the MXT575.  I sure hope they'll add an "auto-on" feature to enable the radio when starting up the car and add group scanning as well.  However, my guess is that it'll be the exact same radio as the 275 with the only addition being higher wattage.  (Note to self: email Midland.)

It should.... And will have NOAA channels as I understand.

My MXT400 came from the factory with the repeater channels set to 25kHz (wideband), contrary to the rumors circulated by those with a bias against Midland radios that it does not support wideband. It is simply amazing that those who do not own one make all these claims as though they are the "gurus" chanting the mantra from the mountain top upon which they seated themselves. It will also do 20kHz if you like.

It can also be software programmed to do split tones, CTSS and DCS even, on same channel.

You must buy the DBR1 cable from Midland and they give you a limited-life link to the software download when you call them.

I programmed mine to display my call sign on startup

All my simplex channels are programmed as wideband (25kHz).

I programmed the four local repeaters into the empty channel slots that were empty for the 0.5W FRS channels, displaying the repeater names OR CITY, TABOR, OVRLOOK and GRESHAM when they are chosen.

Someone also said programming the radio invalidates the certification. Midland denies this. The radio was certified under Part 95A and as such, is grandfathered under the new parameters specified under Part 95E. As long as the radio is still operating within the Part 95E specifications when programmed, you are fine.

It does what I want., and I am satisfied with my purchase. It doesn't have 10 billion "bells and whistles" to clutter up the menus and programming like some other radios. It doesn't have FM, but my car and my Sangean WR-11 and ATS-909 take care of that.

I guess that comment is directed to me since I seem to be the one most vocal about Midland's apparent refusal to be honest about this subject.

Below is the FCC Grant (click thumbnail) for the MXT400. It is easily found on the FCC OET Equipment Certification database. The FCC grant is what matters. Regardless of what someone in Midland marketing has said, the MXT400 is certified as a narrow band radio. 10K5F3E is what the grant has as the modulation. That is somewhat worse than 11K3F3E which is what a narrow band is these days. A proper "wide band" radio complying fully with GMRS specs will have an emission designator of 16K0F3E or 20K0F3E. The rule sections 95.1771, 95.1773 and 95.1775 stipulate a 20 KHz BW and +/- 5.0 KHz deviation for the main (not interstitial) channels.

If in fact the software distributed by Midland invokes a wide band emission from the MXT400 then it is doing so in conflict with the radios type certification. Something Midland could fix by having the lab Timco test the radio under that configuration, and if it passes, then apply for a permissive change. So far no one has produced any evidence that by setting the 25 KHz or 20 KHz bits in the software actually increases the modulation. If someone does this live on youtube with proper test equipment so no sleight of hand, then I will retract the part of my assertion that the radio does not do wide band. But it will remain un-certified.

In the meantime the fact remains that folks buying a 40 or 50 watt Midland radio that delivers only 50% of the deviation permitted by GMRS rules, are getting an inferior product that has weak deviation and poor repeater CTCSS access. They might as well buy a cheaper, used, 25 watt Kenwood TK-840-1 which is certified for part 95, has wide band deviation and sounds better.

I urge anyone shopping for a GMRS radio to look up the certification and grant on the FCC OET database for radios being considered. Most cheap Chinese radios also fail to deliver the modulation bandwidth permitted by FCC. Some have barely a 5 KHz BW.

The FCC grant shows the power level as well as the emission bandwidth.

I have no axe to grind with Midland other than this low deviation issue. I would love to buy their MXT275 micromobile remote radio for my wife's car. But instead she has a Kenwood.

post-144-0-83521700-1616619954_thumb.jpg

If in fact the software distributed by Midland invokes a wide band emission from the MXT400 then it is doing so in conflict with the radios type certification.

Maybe that's why they don't mention the software on their site, and will only provide a temporary drop box link for customers to download the software.