Midland MXT500

WRJZ943

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Seems that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when then learn that the 500 and 575 are wideband...

Surprised, maybe. Disappointed, probably not.

Seems like Midland making some effort to put out some products that will play along outside of their ecosystem..nice to see.

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, DonErle said:

Click on "Function Setup" in the left sidebar.

Then Fill the "Starting Display" with your GMRS FCC allocated call sign.

Dave

It can also be software programmed to do split tones, CTSS and  DCS even, on same channel.

You must buy the DBR1 cable from Midland and they give you a limited-life link to the software download when you call them.

I programmed mine to display my call sign on startup

I'd be interested in how you used the Midland MVT400 programing software to display your call sign on startup of your radio. Good idea. Thought I had been to all the corners of the program, but never saw this handy feature

22 hours ago, gdeemer said:

The Midland MXT500 is now available to members of E3 Association and will be available next week to the public at large.

It can be either wide band or narrow band, basically it can (generally) be programmed within all legal GMRS parameters.

The MXT 575 is expected this summer.

Yep, just got an email from Midland saying It's coming in June.  

I have been gone from the forum for sometime... came back today to see what the chatter was about this.  I ordered the 500 and it's expected to be here is a few days.

I was glad to read that some of you got the programing tools for the 400.  I'm sure that makes life a lot better for those who need the advanced features.

I'll probably start my own thread to discuss 500, once its here and setup.  I'm going to bench test it before it goes in the Jeep.

Glad you all kept this thread going.  It's a good read.

24 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

It's $450 without the mic! ?

I just ordered mine today through an early access program.  It comes with a mic and it was $360.

EDIT:  Also comes with free programing software and uses a traditional USB cable.  No special cable needed.

What's in the Box?

MXT500 MicroMobile 2-Way Radio
Mount with Hardware
Microphone
12V Power Cord
Antenna with Mount
Owner's Manual
Quick Start Guide

2 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

WELCOME BACK! ?

I have read many of your well thought out posts and wondered where you went...

Thank you for the welcome and the kind words.  Life has been very busy for me at work and at home.  I dropped out of GMRS and amateur radio for some time.  I am just now getting some relief at work and at home, so I am getting back into it!

On 1/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, DownEastNC said:

$400 for a featureless radio. I'm good, thanks.

Not sure what features you think are missing. For a out of the box simple radio thats a good deal. They will sell thousands of these with out batting an eyelash. Everyone bashes Midland but they are one of the few folks out there that have been making GMRS radios for decades. I'll grab the 575 when its released. 

I am with others in that I believe the MXT500 will sell quite well given it is 50 watts of simple radio operation. If you can use an FRS radio, you can use the MXT500.

I do think that Midland missed a great opportunity to capture the hearts of the GMRS power user community which it could have done by providing advanced programming and display modes. One that would support more than 30 memory channels, custom naming of channels, use/entry of non-standard squelch codes, ability to show actual frequency in use, and perhaps a few other features. These are features I feel certain already existed on the base radio they used as a starter.

Its simplicity and brand recognition is what will cause it to sell and appeal to the masses. The absence of advanced features means others will take a pass on it in favor of less expensive but more feature rich, less refined, and lesser supported radios.

With just a little work, the Chinese brands could easily upgrade their radios to achieve this same level of simplicity, while also providing the extras that are appealing to the serious radio enthusiast.

As always, just one man’s opinion.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Do people actually need more than 30 channels ? I guess I don't live near 300 repeaters. In NY I just had 3 to choose from so it was simple. 99% of the folks that will use this radio wont even use a repeater. those that do use 1 maybe 2 repeaters. All my repeaters use the same tone so its simple. I dont even setup "other" repeater channels as I just change to CSQ if I'm out of my area. With the 500 its pretty quick and simple to change a PL. Guess to each there own but coming from 8 GMRS channels in the past to now doesn't change my mind much. 

BTW on my APX I use MPL which allows me to change PL on the fly. I normally leave it in monitor while driving the east coast in my work truck. In my Jeeps I just use the midlands and keep the APX for PS stuff.

As for Frequency you can add that in the programming software. While I like the idea I would probably use something like 20-675 or 20R-675 and not the entire frequency. On Ch1-7 I don't care about the frequency as those only get used with folks nearby on handhelds.

In reality this radios is a step up from the 400 and the other Midlands of late so glad they did some good changes. Oh and the NMO 1/4 wave antenna is a huge step from that POS little mag mount they used to ship. 

3 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Not sure what features you think are missing. For a out of the box simple radio thats a good deal. They will sell thousands of these with out batting an eyelash. Everyone bashes Midland but they are one of the few folks out there that have been making GMRS radios for decades. I'll grab the 575 when its released. 

Compare the less expensive KG-1000G to the MXT-500. There is no comparison. Other than picking up some NOAA broadcasts, the MXT-500 is a basic GMRS only radio. If you feel that configuration is of value and you don't care about all the other "stuff" then by all means go for it. IMO the radio should be a lot less expensive for what it is.