Jump to content
  • 0

Looking at buying a new GMRS radio, suggestions plz?


WRTB501
 Share

Question

Hello all, new to GMRS and looking at what may be the best or most powerful GMRS radio, im connected to my first repeater tower and seemed to come in fine, talked to one of the main owners of the tower and all went smooth...when i left my building that is lol...tried to get a radio check earlier tonight and nothing came across, could just be no one was around too lol...but was wondering what people suggest for a good powerful radio, one of the ones i saw was Wouxun KG-905G GMRS or the Baofeng UV-5x, thoughts on it? as far as power and range, not even sure if range is a factor when connected to a repeater tbh, as i said im still new and learning it all but having a blast doing so. thxs for any replies!

 

-Chris/WRTB501

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

You wont find a "GMRS" radio that outputs more than 5.5 watts, and you will never see any difference between 5W and 5.5W as far as range.

Instead of power you should focus on a better antenna, perhaps an external antenna..  Of course if you i want REAL power, look at the KG-1000G which is 50Watts..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

You wont find a "GMRS" radio that outputs more than 5.5 watts, and you will never see any difference between 5W and 5.5W as far as range.

Instead of power you should focus on a better antenna, perhaps an external antenna..  Of course if yo i want REAL power, look at the KG-1000G which is 50Watts..

thxs for the reply! and ya just looked that up and it looks like a beast, i may consider that for home, atm im looking for something mobile for when im out on the bicycle so i can talk to peope etc, now i do have the Baofeng BF-F8HP but i just saw its not "technically" registers under FCC guidelines i guess? so i figure i may want to get something that is in those guidelines, anything off the top of your head that would be a good mobile? oh and i also did get the extra antenna for it which is a Nagoya NA-771, so maybe its just that no one was around or on the radio, i read that was the best antenna, other wise feel free to let me know which atennas would be best as well, ty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

That BF-F8HP is a ham radio and as you mentioned using it on GMRS would make the FCC very sad.  A 'real' GMRS radio is not only FCC "approved" but is also MUCH more simple/easy to use.  Which GMRS radio is best for you depends on your specific wants, needs, and desires.  But a few to consider would be a Wouxun KG-805G (very simple/easy to use), or something like a KG-935G, or KG-S88G which is also waterproof.

If you want something less expensive, I like the Baofeng UV-9G which is not very expensive and is also waterproof..

If you search the Youtubes you will find many reviews and much infos for all of those radios, and many others.

And oh, that Nagoya NA-771 is not made for GMRS and will not perform very well.. If you get a GMRS radio, the stock antennas work great and putting the NA-771 would likely reduce your range.  You want the NA-771G which is made for/tuned for GMRS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

oh thats great to know! i was about to order a 35inch antenna thinking it would help, didnt know there is GMRS specific ones that when tuned could still work better than something bigger lol. and ty for the suggestions as well, ill look into those GMRS specific radios!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
17 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

If you want something less expensive, I like the Baofeng UV-9G which is not very expensive and is also waterproof..

...

You want the NA-771G which is made for/tuned for GMRS.

I have the UV-9G and the Nagoya NA-771G, they work pretty well together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

so far im debating on the Wouxun 905g and the UV-9g, now after playing with my BF-F8HP i have a understanding of how it works atleast, is either one of those better than the other by chance? i do plan on getting the NA-771g as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
42 minutes ago, WRTB501 said:

so far im debating on the Wouxun 905g and the UV-9g, now after playing with my BF-F8HP i have a understanding of how it works atleast, is either one of those better than the other by chance? 

That depends on how you define "better"..

The 905G is a superheterodyne radio and the UV-9G is an SOC, so the 905G is better.

The UV-9G costs around $45 and the 905G is over $100, so the UV-9G is better

The 905G has a larger battery that will last longer than the UV-9G, so the 905G is better.

The UV-9G has a smaller battery and is lighter than the 905G so the UV-9G is better.

The UV-9G is waterproof, the 905G isnt, so the UV-9G is better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

hmm decisions decisions lol...part of me says to go with the Wouxun then and give that a try with the NA-771g, i do like the bigger display it seems to have, the larger battery seems like a plus for me as well, i also want to put a Retevis walkie talkie shoulder mic 2 pin on it as well, so i think that should work so  when im out bicycling i can use that well keeping it on my backpack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, TNRonin said:

So if this is your first GMRS, you will need two... get any of the following as you and others in the family can talk to you and you will have the great UV9GX.  This list is from email from B2WR today.  

Hello everyone,

Below is the latest stock update on our popular GMRS products. The KG-1000G and KG-935G are now back with limited stock. Order now! 

Popular GMRS Product Availability

Wouxun KG-805GIn stock.

Wouxun KG-905G: In stock.

Wouxun KG-905G Value Pack: In stock.

Wouxun KG-935G: Limited stock.

Wouxun KG-935G Value Pack: Out of stock.

Wouxun KG-935G Prepper Kit: Out of stock.

Wouxun KG-S88G: Out of stock. ETA: 2 weeks. Order now.

Wouxun KG-1000G: Limited stock.

Wouxun KG-XS20G: Limited stock.

Nagoya Antennas: All connector types of the NA-701G and NA-771G are in stock.

You're receiving this email because you signed up for a backorder notification mailing list from our web site. If you wish to stop receiving these updates, click here to unsubscribe.

Thank you so much for your support!

 

I like the 805G for wife and kids as no buttons to screw things up... $99 each.  I use a 935G so I can monitor my Ham locate repeaters.  Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, TNRonin said:

 

I am back ordered on the Wouxun UV9GX. Dunno if I can wait tho. LOL

This will be my first GMRS dedicated radio.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

That depends on how you define "better"..

The 905G is a superheterodyne radio and the UV-9G is an SOC, so the 905G is better.

The UV-9G costs around $45 and the 905G is over $100, so the UV-9G is better

The 905G has a larger battery that will last longer than the UV-9G, so the 905G is better.

The UV-9G has a smaller battery and is lighter than the 905G so the UV-9G is better.

The UV-9G is waterproof, the 905G isnt, so the UV-9G is better.

The big question is, where does the BTech GMRS-V2 fall into the mix? I checked your YT channel and noticed that you haven't reviewed that one yet. Is that on your schedule at some point?

 

Love your vids by the way. It feels good to know that I'm your favorite viewer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Excuse me, he clearly states in every video that I am his favorite user, and he doesn't want to waste my time.

Wait, what? That's just not possible. He very clearly pointed at ME in his last video and told me I was his favorite, and he didn't want to waste MY time. 

 

We need to get to the bottom of this.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 6/10/2022 at 9:07 AM, back4more70 said:

[ slams mouse, rushes outside for a fight ]

Nooo, no no. It's not worth all that. I can learn to accept that I'm his second favorite viewer. I just think that it's only fair for me to expect him to address me as such, though.

 

Congrats, you're his favorite. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
hmm decisions decisions lol...part of me says to go with the Wouxun then and give that a try with the NA-771g, i do like the bigger display it seems to have, the larger battery seems like a plus for me as well, i also want to put a Retevis walkie talkie shoulder mic 2 pin on it as well, so i think that should work so  when im out bicycling i can use that well keeping it on my backpack
For a bicycle although not cheap I would look for something with Bluetooth and a remote ptt (so you don't have to use vox and have everyone hear you puffing on a hill.)

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

On bicycle (MTB) I use a radio pouch strapped to the handlebars. Works well, pouch has two straps, one goes on one side of the stem, another on the other side. The short stem keeps the pouch with radio upright. I can hear if somebody is calling me and stop to chat. Except when I'm going downhill at 35mph, but then I do not want to chat, anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, axorlov said:

On bicycle (MTB) I use a radio pouch strapped to the handlebars. Works well, pouch has two straps, one goes on one side of the stem, another on the other side. The short stem keeps the pouch with radio upright. I can hear if somebody is calling me and stop to chat. Except when I'm going downhill at 35mph, but then I do not want to chat, anyway.

Thxs for the reply! I recently bought a pouch for the bicycle and its working but couldnt find to many that seemed to fit my need, do you happen to have the name of it so i can look into the one you have and see if it may be better than what im currently using? Right now i have a heavy duty radio pouch on mine, sounds similiar with the 2 straps, but instead mine wraps around the handlebars and then i help keep it propped up by using the top of the strap to lock in behind the break line which prevents it from rocking back and fourth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, WRTB501 said:

do you happen to have the name of it

This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CBPDZQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of similar designs on amazon, starting with $8. My stem is really short, shortest possible, I think 30mm, so the steerer tube really keeps the pouch upright. On a longer road stem the pouch will not stay upright, but I think some solution could be found. Something like this adapter can be used to keep the pouch upright, or maybe to bolt the pouch to it: https://www.amazon.com/Kbrotech-Bicycle-Adapter-Adjustable-Handlebar/dp/B07KC656V1/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_2/134-8065183-2643462?pd_rd_w=yH74M&content-id=amzn1.sym.7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_p=7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_r=FNT3ZSBY5FGX2RGDQS17&pd_rd_wg=F5Ck9&pd_rd_r=63e83620-289b-4d1d-8db1-5956b2c71e45&pd_rd_i=B07KC656V1&psc=1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, axorlov said:

This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CBPDZQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of similar designs on amazon, starting with $8. My stem is really short, shortest possible, I think 30mm, so the steerer tube really keeps the pouch upright. On a longer road stem the pouch will not stay upright, but I think some solution could be found. Something like this adapter can be used to keep the pouch upright, or maybe to bolt the pouch to it: https://www.amazon.com/Kbrotech-Bicycle-Adapter-Adjustable-Handlebar/dp/B07KC656V1/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_2/134-8065183-2643462?pd_rd_w=yH74M&content-id=amzn1.sym.7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_p=7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_r=FNT3ZSBY5FGX2RGDQS17&pd_rd_wg=F5Ck9&pd_rd_r=63e83620-289b-4d1d-8db1-5956b2c71e45&pd_rd_i=B07KC656V1&psc=1

 

Ty! that actually looks like a really good one, i too have a short stem, i run a Specialized Roubaix Sport and it has a short stem as well with a spring in it to absorb impact of the bumps so that looks like it will work as well, again ty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.