What would you pick for a band if you only could pick 1

mainehazmt

If you were to pick a band in HF what would it be and why? my reason for asking is mostly due to antenna choices Im kinda leaning to a single band antenna to start(cost and no tuner needed to start)   (dont think the wife would like one of those long wire ones  either  lol

In terms of propagation, 20 meters is generally considered the best band for DX and can be found open day or night. It's also the most popular band for PSK31 (if you like the digital modes).

You can also have good success with very modest antenna setups on 20 meters. A well placed wire or vertical is enough to work good DX - and won't require a lot of space to put up.

I'd definitely go with 20m. But 40m is also a valid 2nd choice if you can squeeze it in.

When I first got HF privileges on my ticket (1992), I had a lot of fun on 15m. We were in a "dead" window in the sunspot cycle for 10m, and I found 20m to have more than its share of "ungentlemanly" conduct. 15 was a pleasant place for DX and just general SSB ragchewing... even had my one and only CW QSO there.

I've been off HF for several years though so lots can change. Maybe the nostalgia factor is worth something? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you were to pick a band in HF what would it be and why? my reason for asking is mostly due to antenna choices Im kinda leaning to a single band antenna to start(cost and no tuner needed to start)   (dont think the wife would like one of those long wire ones  either  lol

Ask yourself if you want to use the radio during the day, evening or both. Daytime, I'd to 15-17 or 20 meters, probably 20 if i had to pick one. But 40 meters works decent day or night.

wow  the post is still alive!  :)   The foolishness of hf knowledge on HF on my part caused this post   since that time I bought 2 dipoles  after the first post I bought the 20 meter dipole   and wasnt good enough for me   flipping thru the freq I was missing alot.    I since then got a multiband dipole and have been very very happy  the freq I didnt get to tune up safe I bought an automatic tuner  for them  but havent had any luck   someday!I will figure it all out   Just wish I had started the ham adventure many many years ago   but then againyou have to figure Im just one of those Non code whackers  lol