APRS software for GMRS

WRUJ963

Question

I just got a BTech GMRS Pro Radio last month.  It can do aprs with other Pro radios but is there any software available that I can use with a tnc on another standard GMRS radio to receive messages.  I am looking at this more for emergency services usage and would like to be able to setup on the fly another radio to send and receive aprs.  I've seen a lot of how to for Ham radios but most of the software I find wants a Ham call sign to use and my GMRS call sign won't work.   Was curious about other folks setups.

10 answers to this question

Well, technically by NAME, APRS is Amateur (Packet/Position) Reporting System, so it is no surprise that most APRS software wants an Amateur call sign. That BTech is using the APRS protocol to send position just makes it another position reporting format -- like some Garmin GPS/FRS radios.

The other matter is if they are using AX.25 data packets -- that's what Amateur TNCs are using for analog APRS (D-Star and DMR /digital/ modes send position reports in a different format -- D-Star embeds position data within the non-voice portion of each packet)

APRSDroid will gladly eat your GMRS callsign and will allow sending and receiving packets from air. Of course, no injection of data will be allowed into the APRS database over the internet. For this you must have ham callsign.

I'm regular APRS user, but always on 144.390 and never on GMRS.

I did download APRSDroid, tried to get to work with my GMRS radio using my phone connected via APRS adapter that changes from k1 format to 3.5mm.  Maybe I am missing something, I'll have to mess around with it a little more.  I was trying to see if I could see the messages to show up through my GMRS radio to the GMRS Pro Radio.  Just wasn't sure if there were other software to try like Xastir on a Raspberry Pi that might work.  Figured this would come in useful in emergency conditions to get a message out quickly to someone listening along with GPS data etc.  I am working on studying for Technician Class license but got my GMRS license couple of months ago and have been tinkering around with it. 

1 hour ago, WRUJ963 said:

I was trying to see if I could see the messages to show up through my GMRS radio to the GMRS Pro Radio

It is not clear if Baofeng follows APRS spec. They may very well do not. To determine, you probably need to set up a receiver with APRS decoder (APRSDrois will do) to see what exactly Btech Pro sends. It may not be compatible with bona fide APRS.

That's what I was kinda wondering.  BTech may be using something similar but different, I was to understand from the info they gave that it was APRS but on GMRS frequencies.  I guess this will be my project this weekend to try and see if I can setup APRS through another radio and APRSDoid.  I will try and see if I can see if it is indeed APRS or something proprietary they came up with.  Thank you for the suggestions on this. 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:12 PM, KAF6045 said:

Well, technically by NAME, APRS is Amateur (Packet/Position) Reporting System, so it is no surprise that most APRS software wants an Amateur call sign. That BTech is using the APRS protocol to send position just makes it another position reporting format -- like some Garmin GPS/FRS radios.

The other matter is if they are using AX.25 data packets -- that's what Amateur TNCs are using for analog APRS (D-Star and DMR /digital/ modes send position reports in a different format -- D-Star embeds position data within the non-voice portion of each packet)

The A in APRS does not for amateur, but Automatic.  The initialism APRS was derived from WB4APR the call sigh for Bob Bruninga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System