Multi band mobile radio

WRTZ750

Question

25 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

But for most, you are probably best to run either two radios (VHF and UHF) and find a way to make them fit.

This!!

Two of the Radioddity DB20G radios with one configured for GMRS and the other opened up to the ham bands and there’s not even a question about compliance. 

This!!
Two of the Radioddity DB20G radios with one configured for GMRS and the other opened up to the ham bands and there’s not even a question about compliance. 
Not even really necessary to have 2 unless compliance is sought after.

Since opened up, you can have all 3 bands (in which case a single radio now would be out of compliance in the most strict sense)

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Not even really necessary to have 2 unless compliance is sought after.

Since opened up, you can have all 3 bands (in which case a single radio now would be out of compliance in the most strict sense)

Agreed. This is a case where non-compliance is harmless as long as the person using the radio is acting responsibly. But for people who worry about strict compliance with the letter of the regulations, having it spelled out may help.

Agreed. This is a case where non-compliance is harmless as long as the person using the radio is acting responsibly. But for people who worry about strict compliance with the letter of the regulations, having it spelled out may help.
Biggest issue with being non compliance (opened up) with this radio.

Is fat fingering when programming the frequencies on gmrs. Well that can happen also with ham frequencies.

Just double check and triple check your code plug over 2 days before hitting the ptt, is my suggestion.

6 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I’ve had conversations like this privately with friends etc. It’s always prefaced with a disclaimer about the rules. It wouldn’t be ethical if I didn’t, and they make their own “informed” choices afterwards.

Thank you all.  I looked at the anytone 878uv as an option.  Part of me hoped the 50 watt kg-1000g could be unlocked but that's from my old habits of thinking more wattage is better.

I like to monitor marine bands but not talk since I'm not licensed and this radio wouldn't be in a boat.

I will likely get my ham license one day but plan to monitor for now to see if it's something I want to get into.

I like the idea of the Kenwood and Motorola mobiles but programming sounds tricky and even getting the programming software seems challenging.

I'll have to look more into the Mars/Cap thing since this is all new to me but I'm hoping to monitor more frequencies and transmit on GMRS.

Thanks for the help!

Thank you all.  I looked at the anytone 878uv as an option.  Part of me hoped the 50 watt kg-1000g could be unlocked but that's from my old habits of thinking more wattage is better.
I like to monitor marine bands but not talk since I'm not licensed and this radio wouldn't be in a boat.
I will likely get my ham license one day but plan to monitor for now to see if it's something I want to get into.
I like the idea of the Kenwood and Motorola mobiles but programming sounds tricky and even getting the programming software seems challenging.
I'll have to look more into the Mars/Cap thing since this is all new to me but I'm hoping to monitor more frequencies and transmit on GMRS.
Thanks for the help!
You don't need to mars/cap to listen. The radio just needs to be wide receive capable.

Maybe a $20 sdr from Amazon and a long wire might be something to look at for receive.

My Wouxun KGXS-20G mobile has a great receiver capable of listening to most 2M/70cm bands, along with EMS frequencies in the VHF/UHF spectrum, while still being part 95E compliant for GMRS as it is intended. If you don't have a Ham license yet, then having a radio that is unlocked to other bands is pointless, unless you are just waiting for a SHTF event to happen, then all bets are off. With that said, if you are looking for a mobile radio you can grow into, anticipating that you will be getting your Ham license, then I can see some utility in getting a "unlocked" radio. You still aren't playing within the FCC overlord's rules, but that's a personal decision you need to cross. 

This one will also do what you want with very little effort,

https://baofengtech.com/product/uv-25x2/?gclid=CjwKCAiAp7GcBhA0EiwA9U0mtokfwjxBMudqpJc1PItRImISBUW5ghpxbOasOHYBSiCJ8AthqwMXohoCnIMQAvD_BwE

If you want 50 watts, their 50 X 2 has a bit bigger chassis, but does the same things. 

On 12/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, WRTZ750 said:

Look at adding a scanner instead of another radio. Uniden BCT15X can be found for about $100 and can scan better than any radio. It has a coverage of VHF low down to 25MHz, as well as up in the GHz ranges, and will scan much quicker than a radio can.

Also to be completely transparent, note that in all technicality, programming of marine radio frequencies (eCFR Part 80) in a radio requires a GROL license. I'll just leave it at that.

Many of the radios don't require Mars/Cap to listen out of band, only for transmission.

The Motorola softwares are now free as long as you sign up for a Motorola MyView account. It's not terribly hard, just time consuming and requires following up with Motorola via phone.

The Kenwood software can be found. The most current stuff you need to find the correct dealer that will talk to a ham/GMRS radio guy. Some will, some won't. Before I found the right dealer, I called a local shop that I know, and they wouldn't sell me the software. And I know one of their head techs, I have lunch with him an a handful of other professionals in the RF industry every few months.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, WRTZ750 said:

Question for those with more experience on this.  I'm looking for a radio I can put in a vehicle or switch between vehicles that will tx and rx between 144 MHz on up to the Gmrs frequencies.

Is there such an all in one radio?  

I had this exact same questions / thoughts…. But, I also like being a cheap-skate too. Thought I’d try out the Anytone AT-779. Ordered it as a GMRS radio (but it was marked for ham 2M & 70cm when it arrived) and had to “fix” it.  There is a good YouTube video on how to get to the “boot up” menu in that radio.

Got a cheap CB as well.  It’s all a “1-Bolt” installation to the front left passenger seat mounting bolt using a single piece of flat steel stock, bent at 90 degrees in two places and twisted so the radios face the driver.  On the antenna… the near antenna (in the pic) is the generic VHF/UHF antenna that I spent a little time tweaking to an acceptable VSWR across the frequencies I have been messing around on.

yea…yea…I know…CB…??? but it works! …and works well when I want / need it.?. Ain’t no sad ham here!!  Can’t disappoint Randy!!

ECE2D065-CE16-42B4-B9B6-8C7416E5874A.jpeg

B04B8040-5742-4232-B3BE-14F653A6EE61.jpeg

9 hours ago, WRTZ750 said:

Whatever traffic is on the Mississippi near me, mainly barge/lock & dam transmissions.

Well, the state system is on 700/800 MHz P25 system which may cover some of the dam/lock operations. It also appears that there is a bunch of VHF FM stuff for the dam and lock operations, but there is also UHF stuff for on ship and ship/ship. Other ships may use unknown UHF frequencies and/or 900MHz DTR radios, that no scanner/radio will pick up.

You might be better off with a Scanner that can do close call and sit close to the river and log what it finds.

The Radioddity DB25-G is CHIRP compatible according to the website, kinda wish I'ld gotten that rather than the DB20_G

Multi Band? JMHO if your licensed for GMRS and Ham why not? Unless your running too much power, how does the FCC know what radio your transmitting on? A "modified" GMRS or an unmodified ham radio? As long as your legally licensed to operate those frequencies.

Power? go to CB ch6  27.025 any evening. Sitting in central Texas with 1 ft of coax on a 100W dummy load I can hear Orlando FL, Lansing MI, a Few way up in the NE Main, CT NY NJ Them boys are putting out some power. ch 17 and 28 are just about as bad. I know some of you would rather take a butt whopping than mess around on 11M 27mhz but its alive and well LOL

Question for those with more experience on this.  I'm looking for a radio I can put in a vehicle or switch between vehicles that will tx and rx between 144 MHz on up to the Gmrs frequencies.

The simple answer is, NO! I assume that you hold an Amateur Radio License as well a GMRS License. You're already aware that GMRS falls under FCC part 95 and Amateur Radio part 97. However, I myself use my Connect Systems CS-800D for Amateur Radio and GMRS, even though the radio is part 90 typed accepted, but sold as part 97 Amateur Radio. 

Theoretically if you were to unlock and push certain radios past their restrictions and limits... theoretically. But we would never want to break FCC rules by using part 90 and part 95 uncompliant radios right? Basically as said before there are VHF and UHF antennae for these, although having an antennae that can receive both and not being dialed into one range/band will surely cause there to be some compromise in your rx and TX ability. And thus having a singular radio hooked up that can do both is theoretically possible... just not compliant with fcc rules and regulations. And we would never want to be uncompliant. 

12 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

Theoretically if you were to unlock and push certain radios past their restrictions and limits... theoretically. But we would never want to break FCC rules by using part 90 and part 95 uncompliant radios right? Basically as said before there are VHF and UHF antennae for these, although having an antennae that can receive both and not being dialed into one range/band will surely cause there to be some compromise in your rx and TX ability. And thus having a singular radio hooked up that can do both is theoretically possible... just not compliant with fcc rules and regulations. And we would never want to be uncompliant. 

So theoretically the Anyone uv-778 or Retevis ra25?  Are there any 50 watt radios capable of this?  For monitoring only, of course?