Motorola software

WRWM850

The only "legit" place to get Motorola programming software is from Motorola themselves. You purchase a subscription from Motorola, set up an account, and then download the software. For an older CP200 analog radio, that would be Motorola P/N RVN4121.  You will also need a proper cable to connect from the radio to the computer - and doing that can be a whole 'nother problem.

The trouble you will have with the "factory" CPS software is that Motorola only has available the Narrowband 12.5 kHz version for download. You would need to either get a Wideband Entitlement (after you pass a online course that tells you why the FCC mandated Narrowband for most business frequencies - and you promise not to program Wideband on channels that should be Narrowband 12.5) - or you would need to 'crack' the software and remove the code that forces Narrowband before you can program a Wideband GMRS codeplug into the radio.

If you're not stuck on the idea of buying software from Motorola, there are earlier versions of CPS (Something tells me the Narrowband got forced upon us somewhere around version 05.12.xx) and those earlier versions are available online for free from dubious sites - or you can purchase pirated software via Ebay or other online sources.

There's a ton more info (that you probably should have investigated before you bought the radios)  - but if you search up "CPS RVN4121"  I think you'll begin to see what you're in for. Be prepared for another 10 varying opinions on what to do and how to do it when it comes to Motorola CPS and programming.

A final option would be to just find a local Motorola dealer, let them know the frequencies you want to get programmed in, and have them do it for you. You'll spend a few bucks, but it might still be cheaper and less hassle than doing it on your own.

8 hours ago, WRWM850 said:

I just bought my first real gmrs radios; a few old beat up Motorola CP200's (upgrade from Baofeng starter)

does anyone know were to get the software and what the difficulty is on programing these?

Lesson number one. Research the radio before you spend your money!!! That means does it have the features you want? Do you just want the radio for GMRS or does it need to cover the Ham UHF band too? Can you buy replacement battery packs for it, are chargers available, can you get the programming software and cables? If it breaks can you get it repaired and at what expense? Are accessories like antennas, belt clips, external speaker microphones available? And finally can you get copies of the documentation for the radio like user manuals and service manuals?

For some people they want a radio that is FCC certified to operate on GMRS. Not all radios that can be programmed for GMRS have that. That requires checking the FCC ID on the radio in the FCC's database to check which "Parts" it has been certified to operate under. Some have the required Part 95 certification, most have at least Part 90 which is only good for the commercial frequency band. However many people use Part 90 radios, and so far the FCC doesn't seem to bother them, but it's not a guarantee.

For example I'm mainly a Kenwood radio guy, nothing wrong with Motorola I have a few XPR6550's, and some cheap Chinese radios, but Kenwood is what I prefer.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/261-e451d5e2-f358-40dd-95a1-af106f7e8584jpeg/

Kenwood has a new series of commercial radios out, NX-1000's, NX-3000's and NX-5000's. All very nice radios. The kicker is the programming software. It requires an Internet connection to their license server, the software is locked to one PC at a time, unless you deactivate it and transfer the license. Then there is the hassle of getting the software. Kenwood is targeting the programming and support to their dealer network. Trying to find a dealer that will sell you the software and license, which is $155 a pop, isn't easy unless you "know somebody" and there are a few out there.  Due to the software licensing issue I had ZERO interest in looking at new or used models of the above. That is until somebody cracked the software for the NX-1000 series. Now I have one because I can get the software and installed it on several computers I use without the licensing crap to deal with. 

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/290-nx-1300duk5/

5 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

The only "legit" place to get Motorola programming software is from Motorola themselves. You purchase a subscription from Motorola, set up an account, and then download the software. For an older CP200 analog radio, that would be Motorola P/N RVN4121.  You will also need a proper cable to connect from the radio to the computer - and doing that can be a whole 'nother problem.

The trouble you will have with the "factory" CPS software is that Motorola only has available the Narrowband 12.5 kHz version for download. You would need to either get a Wideband Entitlement (after you pass a online course that tells you why the FCC mandated Narrowband for most business frequencies - and you promise not to program Wideband on channels that should be Narrowband 12.5) - or you would need to 'crack' the software and remove the code that forces Narrowband before you can program a Wideband GMRS codeplug into the radio.

If you're not stuck on the idea of buying software from Motorola, there are earlier versions of CPS (Something tells me the Narrowband got forced upon us somewhere around version 05.12.xx) and those earlier versions are available online for free from dubious sites - or you can purchase pirated software via Ebay or other online sources.

There's a ton more info (that you probably should have investigated before you bought the radios)  - but if you search up "CPS RVN4121"  I think you'll begin to see what you're in for. Be prepared for another 10 varying opinions on what to do and how to do it when it comes to Motorola CPS and programming.

A final option would be to just find a local Motorola dealer, let them know the frequencies you want to get programmed in, and have them do it for you. You'll spend a few bucks, but it might still be cheaper and less hassle than doing it on your own.

thanks for the info. I spoke with Motorola and they said they no longer have software for these radios, I'm going to search the web for the software you mentioned and see what I can find: and yes I could have done more research before buying these radios however I am not worried about it, I'm just getting into this radio thing and soaking up what I can, there is always a learning curve. 

despite being very old these seem like very well built radios and still have aftermarket parts readily available, the software is is the only stumbling block so far.

I know Motorola has the reputation of being professional grade, most sturdy, and best of all...but I shy away from them because there are too many models, they are hard to know what they are even capable of, and it seems like the programming software is a mystery, or only runs on PC-DOS 2.2 or Windows 3.1....since I have never been interested in the brand, I know virtually nothing about them.  Maybe we need a net to discuss the wonderfulness of Motorola HT's and mobiles.  Lots and lots of folks swear by them, they always seem to demand much higher prices, and from some of the pictures I've seen mud, dirt, dust and filth don't seem to slow them down.  

4 hours ago, Lscott said:

Due to the software licensing issue I had ZERO interest in looking at new or used models of the above. That is until somebody cracked the software for the NX-1000 series. Now I have one because I can get the software and installed it on several computers I use without the licensing crap to deal with. 

I totally understand that.  If I have to steal the software, then I don't need the radio.  Stealing from Kenwood doesn't keep them in business. 

1 hour ago, JoCoBrian said:

I totally understand that.  If I have to steal the software, then I don't need the radio.  Stealing from Kenwood doesn't keep them in business. 

I guess you didn't read my post carefully enough. It's not the cost that's an issue, it's the usability. I've read about too many horror stories where people have paid their money, had a hard drive crash and lost the software and no means to deactivate the license since that required a functioning hard drive. Apparently this even happen to one person and it was the radio programming software that crashed and somehow wiped out the license authorization. Trying to get Kenwood to reissue a license or simply deactivate it on their end was nearly impossible and for some it was. They had to spend another $150 more or less to get their software to work again. The hassle and expense is entirely due to Kenwood's licensing. I'm not going to deal with that.

If all they were worried about was recouping their cost for development then just roll it into the cost of the radios sold and give the programming software away. They do it for the Ham stuff. However this isn't their goal. What they want to do is force end users to their dealer network for tech support and radio programming. Makes the dealers happy, more business means more money for them. In fact some unscrupulous dealers will program radios with read and write passwords and keep those secret knowing that if the owner of those radios ever got the programming software there would be noway they could make changes to the programming. Of course somebody will point out it's to prevent the owner from unauthorized changes, well they own the radio, it's their license, they screw up it's their fine to pay the FCC. The dealer is not an enforcement arm of the FCC.

There are other forums where it's a frequent occurrence for people to ask for software cracks/patches/engineering keys to remove these passwords. Myself I ended up with several used radios in just this condition. In one case I spent over a month searching for a patched version of the programming software to unlock the radio. I ended up buying it from a source in Mexico of all places.      

4 hours ago, WRWM850 said:

thanks for the info. I spoke with Motorola and they said they no longer have software for these radios, I'm going to search the web for the software you mentioned and see what I can find:

Not sure who you spoke with at Motorola - but at best they told you a half-truth.

I just logged in to my MOL (Motorola OnLine) account to be sure, and there it is:

zip.gifCommercial Series CPS R05.18 (04 Jun 2013 Zip File 43MB)
12.5 kHz only
Part Number: RVN4191
Product Applicability: CP150, CP200, CP200XLS, PR400, CM200, CM300, PM400

Now, I'm not sure that Motorola is actively selling RVN4191 to anyone - as it is outdated & no longer works with any current radio they are selling, but it's still there and available for download to anyone with an MOL account.  I'm also not sure if anyone at Motorola is actively setting up new users with MOL access,  as they're telling Dealers that all activity is being pushed towards shop.motorola.com  for both dealers and retail customers.  New software is no longer available for download on the MOL site.  Motorola moved all of that to a different site now.

As far as software, licensing, and piracy,  I think we are all adults and can try to find our own path through the wilderness.  There's an aspect of Right to Repair when a manufacturer drops support for a product line, and then there's also outright piracy for profit.  As a dealer, I'm probably more willing to stay on the straight and narrow, but I'm not pulling money out of my pocket for 99% of what I work with. 

In my opinion, the horror stories of Motorola cables, software, and DOS are overblown.  If you want to work on anything made since 1990, most all of it can run in a Windows shell using something like DosBox. 

3 hours ago, JoCoBrian said:

If I don't like the way a product is licensed, I don't buy it, but I don't steal it.  Intellectual property theft is a real problem. 

I paid $400 for the radio. I seriously doubt Kenwood hasn’t included software development cost in that.

They also charge for feature licensing too. That I understand. I specifically paid to have the DMR function enabled when I purchased the radio. The price was reasonable.

I’m also considering getting the ARC4 encryption feature too. That involves screwing around with Kenwood’s license management software, which just so happens to ALSO requires a license key to enable!!! It uses the same Internet based licensed server BS the radio programming software requires. Gee? Really? Fortunately the license keys are free, and are targeted for dealer’s use. Kenwood doesn’t want users to be upgrading their radios either. I had a Ham radio friendly dealer send me a license manager key good for 10 installs. He also will sell the feature license keys to the radio user too. I got a quote on what those would cost.

6 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Not sure who you spoke with at Motorola - but at best they told you a half-truth.

I just logged in to my MOL (Motorola OnLine) account to be sure, and there it is:

zip.gifCommercial Series CPS R05.18 (04 Jun 2013 Zip File 43MB)
12.5 kHz only
Part Number: RVN4191
Product Applicability: CP150, CP200, CP200XLS, PR400, CM200, CM300, PM400

Now, I'm not sure that Motorola is actively selling RVN4191 to anyone - as it is outdated & no longer works with any current radio they are selling, but it's still there and available for download to anyone with an MOL account.  I'm also not sure if anyone at Motorola is actively setting up new users with MOL access,  as they're telling Dealers that all activity is being pushed towards shop.motorola.com  for both dealers and retail customers.  New software is no longer available for download on the MOL site.  Motorola moved all of that to a different site now.

As far as software, licensing, and piracy,  I think we are all adults and can try to find our own path through the wilderness.  There's an aspect of Right to Repair when a manufacturer drops support for a product line, and then there's also outright piracy for profit.  As a dealer, I'm probably more willing to stay on the straight and narrow, but I'm not pulling money out of my pocket for 99% of what I work with. 

In my opinion, the horror stories of Motorola cables, software, and DOS are overblown.  If you want to work on anything made since 1990, most all of it can run in a Windows shell using something like DosBox. 

I just used your link and applied for an MOL account, we'll see... 

6 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

There's an aspect of Right to Repair when a manufacturer drops support for a product line, and then there's also outright piracy for profit.

Exactly right here^^^. There is a piracy and there is a piracy. I used to work for a multimedia company that suffered bad because of piracy. This is the reason I do not pirate software, movies or music. If I need that game/movie/album too bad I will have to figure out how to pay for it. True and right. But with all that said, Kenwood and Motorola are not in the business of selling software. The intellectual property is not in their software. Violating license for CPS for old model radio is one thing, and manufacturing and selling counterfeit PL2303 chip is different. Like going at 75mph on a freeway vs 65mph in a school zone. Both are illegal, but damage to society is incomparable.

16 minutes ago, WRWM850 said:

I just used your link and applied for an MOL account, we'll see... 

a few minutes later my account with MOL was created and I can download the cps software

every time I try to run it and read the radio it says  it say "cannot create unknown radio component"

1 hour ago, WRWM850 said:

a few minutes later my account with MOL was created and I can download the cps software

every time I try to run it and read the radio it says  it say "cannot create unknown radio component"

Tagging this to remind me I need to try reregistering. I have a non commercial account.

After trying to go the legit route to get software tomprogram a couple xpr6500's (that I suspect were upgraded to 2.0), was told they needed to convert my account to a business account...sent them the needed info, and nothing since (months ago, now), and no change to my account ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, WRWM850 said:

Glad to hear you got it downloaded. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but try setting the CPS Program to run in Admin mode, and set Windows Compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3.

There's also some known issues with the USB 'Ribless' cables and the PL2302 chip drivers. Search that up if you're still having issues after changing the software admin/compatibility profile.

16 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Glad to hear you got it downloaded. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but try setting the CPS Program to run in Admin mode, and set Windows Compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3.

There's also some known issues with the USB 'Ribless' cables and the PL2302 chip drivers. Search that up if you're still having issues after changing the software admin/compatibility profile.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:11 AM, WRQC527 said:

Awesome! You've mastered the art of setting up a repeater in a handheld radio! Lots of folks have trouble at first. As you can see, there are some folks who will inevitably bring up the fact that technically, the UV5R isn't certified for GMRS, but there are others, me included, who bring up the fact that hardly anyone cares. It's the subject of multiple unresolved threads and posts here. My advice, and probably the advice of others as well, don't ask, don't tell, and definitely don't get suckered in to endless debates about it. Have fun with GMRS. 

On 3/17/2023 at 5:16 AM, nokones said:

The Motorola CPS Astro 25 programming software with the USB radio to computer programming cable will program the XTS1500, XTS2500, and XTS5000 radios and the software is Windows 11 compatible. The XTS3000 radios require the ASTRO Spectra software and only compatible with a Windows XP 32 bit operating system. The charger and audio accessories are compatible among all the XTS series and the Jedi HT1000, MT2000, and MTS2000 series radios. The XTS3000 and XTS5000 batteries are the same; but the XTS1500 and XTS2500 batteries will take a different battery than the XTS3000 and the XTS5000 radios.

The XTS1500 is a 48 channel radio; the Type 2 and 3 XTS2500 is a 255 channel; and the Type 2 and 3 XTS5000 is a 999 channel radio.

These radios are great and my opinion are the best to have as far as quality and reliability.

I paid $275 for a XTS5000 radio that was never used and essentially a brand new radio and $175-250 for a few refurbished radios. $400 is a tad on the high side to start out with and obtaining the software will be challenging. The programming cable appears to be somewhat available. Be careful with after-market cables.

Also, there is the learning curve in using the programming application insofar as the feature and other parameter settings especially when undoing the encryption and trunking settings along with knowing the difference between ASTRO and non-Astro in order to program the radio for analog conventional use. Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy it.

You'll be glad you did without any regrets

On 3/17/2023 at 3:28 AM, hfd376 said:

The xts5000 is a great radio, with lots of useful accessories available. The downside being they are somewhat big and heavy, and a pretty conspicuous radio to carry around. 

On 3/28/2023 at 4:01 AM, Radioguy7268 said:

thanks everyone. I got all 3 of my cp200's up and running, programed to the gmrs frequencies that I want and also to a couple local repeaters, it ended up being a great learning experience and now I have the software all set up and ready to go!

thank you! I got it all worked out, radios are programmed and working well.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, nokones said:

Blue Max 49ers has the software for up to Windows 11 and you will need either the Prolific or the FTDI programming cable.

I would recommend the FTDI cable. Too many counterfeit Prolific chips floating around. While Blue Max 49ers cable likely don't have them but if you have a choice get the FTDI cable.

1 minute ago, Lscott said:

I would recommend the FTDI cable. Too many counterfeit Prolific chips floating around. While Blue Max 49ers cable likely don't have them but if you have a choice get the FTDI cable.

Actually, they still offer both cables but I agree get the FTDI cable. I have never had a problem with their cables and there customer support is top notch and if necessary they will walk you through any problem loading the program onto your computer and ensuring you that the cable willl communicate with your computer and radio.

Tagging this to remind me I need to try reregistering. I have a non commercial account.
After trying to go the legit route to get software tomprogram a couple xpr6500's (that I suspect were upgraded to 2.0), was told they needed to convert my account to a business account...sent them the needed info, and nothing since (months ago, now), and no change to my account ?‍
That's ma "M" for you.

You should see the bs for an Apxnext... hey we will control it from the cloud. Entitlements and programming done from the cloud. So you get the opportunity to pay "M" to program with something they may decide later they no longer care to keep the servers up on. Yeah, yeah, they plan on allowing local programming, so they said 2 years ago.

As far as piracy. I worked for a software company for a long time. I hate piracy. With a cavet, if the firm obsoleted a piece of software with no extended support options. I am ok with people using it, at their own risk. Revenue generation was no longer an option for that firm.

Thus I was going to mention blue max. Someone beat me to the punch.

Most of my friends have the rib boxes an old pc or are running dosbox. There are ways around all of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, kidphc said:

You should see the bs for an Apxnext... hey we will control it from the cloud. Entitlements and programming done from the cloud. So you get the opportunity to pay "M" to program with something they may decide later they no longer care to keep the servers up on. Yeah, yeah, they plan on allowing local programming, so they said 2 years ago.

Ive been programming my NEXT via my PC and even my own RM server for quite some time.......Have alot of folks that use them that do the same....Not sure why your saying it can't be done and has to be done via cloud but thats 100% inaccurate. Some folks choose to use the cloud version and there is nothign wrong with that. Its the end users choise. 

Ive been programming my NEXT via my PC and even my own RM server for quite some time.......Have alot of folks that use them that do the same....Not sure why your saying it can't be done and has to be done via cloud but thats 100% inaccurate. Some folks choose to use the cloud version and there is nothign wrong with that. Its the end users choise. 
Oh, good to know. I was told the Apxnext was programmed via the ONLY the cloud. I will have to expand this conversation with him to get better clarification. If need so the group has people from Fema, local fd techops and some other 3 letter agencies so I can get clarification.

I mean once you know someone in the govt whom woks with radios. You find the circle is heavily interlinked. Chances are you probably know most of them.

Thanks for the input.

26 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Oh, good to know. I was told the Apxnext was programmed via the ONLY the cloud. I will have to expand this conversation with him to get better clarification. If need so the group has people from Fema, local fd techops and some other 3 letter agencies so I can get clarification.

I mean once you know someone in the govt whom woks with radios. You find the circle is heavily interlinked. Chances are you probably know most of them.

Thanks for the input.

From what I understand, local computer programming has been available for quite a while, however, the intilization of the APXNext requires connection to the cloud for activation, then you have enable local programming, then you can program with your computer like normal. It's not very desirable.

And yes, the RF professionals is a small circle, everyone knows everyone. Heck, I know who has a specific RF combiner bought from surplus, as well as the original tech that installed it 20+ years ago.