Approved for Ham & GMRS radios

pcradio

2 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

I think you are repeating some incorrect and confusing statements:

The UV-5G and the UV-5X are the same Part 95 approved for GMRS radios

They are NOT identical to the original UV-5R.

And Baofeng has had its share of problems:

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices#:~:text=The FCC asserts that Amcrest,Service (Land Mobile) rules.

Ran across a Tera TR-505 part 95 certified GMRS HT awhile back and was shocked to see in the product description "When purchasing the optional USB programming cable, users may program MURS license free VHF operation channels. A free MURS programming file is available for download." Always made me wonder how this was possible on a part 95 radio.

Yeah, the Tera lists MURS operation. So, GMRS and MURS can live together on the same radio. That's why you really have to wonder how these "rules" get interpreted? Whatever is dividing us, putting us against each other, is certainly not in the best interest of the Public, of HAM, or of the GMRS communities.

Just because it lists it doesn't mean its certified. The grant is here - https://fccid.io/2ACK8TR505D

Also its only certified for 95A at 1 watt. As soon as you add MURS to the mix (95J) its not certified for 95A. 

Just because a vendor says it available doesn't mean it meets rules. Heck I can put an add online and say anything I want. Until the FCC jumps on it people will buy what they want...

23 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

Just because it lists it doesn't mean its certified. The grant is here - https://fccid.io/2ACK8TR505D

Also its only certified for 95A at 1 watt. As soon as you add MURS to the mix (95J) its not certified for 95A. 

Just because a vendor says it available doesn't mean it meets rules. Heck I can put an add online and say anything I want. Until the FCC jumps on it people will buy what they want...

The FCC site shows 2ACK8TR505D as Part 95A (462.55 - 462.725) about 1 W only.

FCC - OET TCB Form 731 Grant of Equipment Authorization

This dates back to 2015 - as do online discussions of the GMRS / MURS radio...

And although I know that the discussion of IFs, BUTs, and WHATEVERs will not be stopped by it, I will refer to MURS transmitter certification:

=> 47 CFR 95.2761 - (c) A grant of equipment certification will not be issued for MURS transmitters capable of operating under both this subpart (MURS) and under any other subparts of this chapter (except part 15).

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/section-95.2761

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

I sense some forum fun coming… 

Is there an FCC ID on the radio? If so could look up the grant and see what services it’s certified to operate. I can’t see it doing both Ham and GMRS with out some “magic” done with secret button presses or programming software hacks.

From what I can gather (not having one in my hands) it looks like two separate radios in one. The upper being GMRS and the lower being ham. 
I am curious if you program the upper and lower separately.? They state 512 channels and Randy says it’s 256. This has me wondering if they program the two separately. IDK though. 

6 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

From what I can gather (not having one in my hands) it looks like two separate radios in one. The upper being GMRS and the lower being ham. 
I am curious if you program the upper and lower separately.? They state 512 channels and Randy says it’s 256. This has me wondering if they program the two separately. IDK though. 

I would be very surprised if it’s really a fully functioning Ham and GMRS radio. That would lead to the exact same mess the FCC created with the combo FRS/GMRS radios before the 2017 rule changes. Almost nobody got the required GMRS license to use the GMRS exclusive channels. Now with this radio someone pays their $35 for the GMRS license and now they’re all over the Ham bands just because the radio is enabled to work there.

58 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I would be very surprised if it’s really a fully functioning Ham and GMRS radio. That would lead to the exact same mess the FCC created with the combo FRS/GMRS radios before the 2017 rule changes. Almost nobody got the required GMRS license to use the GMRS exclusive channels. Now with this radio someone pays their $35 for the GMRS license and now they’re all over the Ham bands just because the radio is enabled to work there.

According to Randy’s video it is. But yeah I agree with you. Also looks like it was very poorly programmed. 

It is a fully functioning ham and GMRS radio, albeit horribly/incorrectly programmed for GMRS. It can transmit on 2M, 70CM, and GMRS.

The manufacturer says that you can display any one of the 256 channels on Display A, and any of the other 256 channels on Display B.  The same 256 channels on two different screens does not equal 512, by my math.

24 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

It is a fully functioning ham and GMRS radio, albeit horribly/incorrectly programmed for GMRS. It can transmit on 2M, 70CM, and GMRS.

The manufacturer says that you can display any one of the 256 on Display A, and any of the other 256 on Display B.  The same 256 channels on two different screens does not equal 512, by my math.

Did you ever figure out what “Shake dizzy, Shake fraud, Shake up” is supposed to be? I can’t even hazard a guess at that one. 

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

According to Randy’s video it is. But yeah I agree with you. Also looks like it was very poorly programmed. 

Perhaps later firmware revisions will make a significant change in the radio’s function addressing the possible use of the radio on both services at the same time.

19 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

And thereby becomes illegal to cross the border with. While Amateur have reciprocity with Canada as I recall, Canada's GMRS equivalent is our FRS (less the 467MHz channels).

Which is another justification for why multi-service radios are not something the FCC wants to see.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

And thereby becomes illegal to cross the border with. While Amateur have reciprocity with Canada as I recall, Canada's GMRS equivalent is our FRS (less the 467MHz channels).

Which is another justification for why multi-service radios are not something the FCC wants to see.

Me, and 99% of the rest of the normal people in these United States do not care.  That is an FCC problem, not an us problem.