Midlands Bushbar GMRS Antenna

Erratic

I have heard rumors that they will be available for sale beginning the last week of July, and on the same day the worlds most popular and most widely-loved GMRS YouTuber will be releasing a video about all 4 of the new antennas.

But, you know, those are just rumors...

Thanks for the views and reply and thanks for the heads up.     I saw a YouTuber do a demo vid already.   He must have some clout,, good video... However,,    I like your sense of humor better and I've never been dissatisfied with a purchase based on your recommendation..

Please Keep it up 

Sad ham is funny

Jon

Thanks for the views and reply and thanks for the heads up.     I saw a YouTuber do a demo vid already.   He must have some clout,, good video... However,,    I like your sense of humor better and I've never been dissatisfied with a purchase based on your recommendation..

Please Keep it up 

Sad ham is funny

Jon

On 7/20/2023 at 12:24 AM, Erratic said:

Forum Noob error 

Apologies

While you can't delete a post, you CAN edit a post (if it's yours). There should be an edit option at the bottom of the drop-down list if you click on the *** at the top right of the post you want to edit.

6 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

A 4' GMRS antenna cleverly disguised as a 4' CB antenna. I thought part of the shift away from CB for off-roading, along with much better sound quality and range was more compact antennas. 

That’s true for simple 1/4 wave types. When you get into high gain verticals they can grow rather tall. 

Going by the looks of the antennas they replicate the Melowave Overlander and the Wouxun 24" Spring Mounted GMRS Antenna for Offroad Vehicles (ANO-058G).  

I'm using the Wouxun 24" right now on a bracket mount on the cab of my truck.  Using the KG1000G+ I got some solid contacts while on the Gulf Coast of AL/FL with the repeaters/operators.  At one point I was easily 30+ miles from the repeater by the owners report.  

I'll be out tomorrow taking some measurements on the Melowave and Wouxun to see what specifics they are using for the dimensions.  

The Wouxun is 24" from the spring base to the top.  The Melowave was 47" from the spring base to the top.  BTW both of these antennas came with the spring base and cable.

Comparing the MIdland pricing to the Melowave @$159 and the Wouxun @ $79, the Midland antennas seem a tad high.  I might have a moment where I try the Midland Grand Vista if I get enough scrap metal sold.  😄

Are the base springs of the Midland “Ride the Range” antennas as beefy as they look? (My concern is that an antenna installation that is too ‘stout’ might cause the bracket of a rain gutter mount to inflict damage to the vehicle prior to flexing out of harm’s way…)

15 minutes ago, Over2U said:

Are the base springs of the Midland “Ride the Range” antennas as beefy as they look? (My concern is that an antenna installation that is too ‘stout’ might cause the bracket of a rain gutter mount to inflict damage to the vehicle prior to flexing out of harm’s way…)

The smaller one is quite springy, but the larger one is VERY stout and VERY stiff.  I would not recommend putting it on anything less than a large span of solid steel.

I saw a post on FB about the release of the antennae. I think they are good looking pieces, as long as they work well. I had commented on said post, and a local know-it-all who probably got his license 3 weeks ago and discovered what radio was 4 weeks ago.... proceeded to tell me off as if I was wrong and didn't know anything. 

That's fine, I deleted my comment, so he's talking to his self. I don't argue with idiots on FB.

The summary is I felt the product was nice, but Midland is good at marketing. You'll buy a $259 antenna because they tell you it's good. If you need a rugged antenna for Jeepin', that's cool I get it, I hope it works good for you. I know the going gets rough out there, but my only point was that in all my years of experience, a 1/4 wave has outworked everything in the long run. That doesn't mean I'm telling anyone they have to use it, just that tried and true is just that. 

I have worked in radio and telecom for 30+ years, I know what I know. I don't push that on anyone, but I have helped many people with radio issues and I don't do it to be heard, only to help. When I first got a GMRS license nearly 30 years ago, we had to find a commercial radio to recrystal if we wanted to use GMRS. Now there is some great product out there, and I do like the Midland stuff too. 

Agree. I tell everyone to start with a 1/4 wave. IF you spend $10 on the whip its expensive and will outperform the pepper shaker all day long. Midland has a market as the overlanding crown will be all over the antenna. I looked them up a few years ago as they are used overseas alot but they were crazy costs for what it is. I think in the US there are multiple antenna vendors that provide quality LMR products. Go with a reputable manufacturer and you'll be happy. 

In my area, everyone seems to want to look like they "overland" but never even leave the pavement. I have even noticed the CB radio crowd mount two antennas, one on each side of their lifted Jeep or truck, but not even have a radio connected, as it looks cool. I show up with my old Blazer and a Phantom Antennex antenna, and they wonder if I even have any radio gear installed (helps with some of the hiking trail parking lot thieves too). 

Advertising cool gear in your rig may look cool, but does it work....some times yes, and sometimes no. I am amazed at Midlands marketing though, they are filling a niche for sure. But for those that know what I use, I'm just the "Motorolian Empire Warlord"....another person's words. (That does sound cool, I must admit). 

Whatever you use, make sure it works well, and is installed well (grounded, adequate power, less bends in low loss coax, good antenna), and you will be far ahead of many that just buy off of websites and plug things in.