TD-H8 GMRS Handheld Receiving GMRS Repeater signals but not transmitting to GMRS repeater.

WRYQ699

Question

I have a TidRadio TD-H8 Handheld GMRS radio and recently found my local GMRS Repeaters. My problem is that I can hear people talking on the repeaters but cannot transmit where they respond. I have the TX CTCSS or DCS and the RX CTCSS or DCS set and I am transmitting at 5 watts so I am not sure what it is. When I try to beep in, I don't hear a response from the repeater either.  I also have the right Frequency and yes, the radio is on. I am new to GMRS, so I wonder if I am missing something or doing something wrong. Thank you in advance.

18 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, WRYQ699 said:

I have a TidRadio TD-H8 Handheld GMRS radio and recently found my local GMRS Repeaters. My problem is that I can hear people talking on the repeaters but cannot transmit where they respond. I have the TX CTCSS or DCS and the RX CTCSS or DCS set and I am transmitting at 5 watts so I am not sure what it is. When I try to beep in, I don't hear a response from the repeater either.  I also have the right Frequency and yes, the radio is on. I am new to GMRS, so I wonder if I am missing something or doing something wrong. Thank you in advance.

Are you transmitting on the repeater frequencies?  They’re 5 MHz (467 MHz range) above the 462 MHz frequency that you receive from the repeater. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Are you transmitting on the repeater frequencies?  They’re 5 MHz (467 MHz range) above the 462 MHz frequency that you receive from the repeater. 

Hi there,

I was not transmitting 5MHz above the 462 MHz frequency, By doing this, I was able to transmit to two of the 6 repeaters in my area. The two that I was able to transmit both have a DCS tone and the rest that I am still having issues with are all CTCSS. Could this be a coincidence? When I try to beep in to the repeaters with CTCSS, I don't receive anything back. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:
  • Are you SURE you are on the correct "repeater channel", and not on the simplex (Ch15-22) channel?
  • Are you SURE you have the correct TX tone?
  • Are you SURE you are in range of the repeater? Just becuase you can hear it does not mean it can hear you

Yes to all three questions.

I was not transmitting 5MHz above the 462 MHz frequency, By doing this, I was able to transmit to two of the 6 repeaters in my area. The two that I was able to transmit both have a DCS tone and the rest that I am still having issues with are all CTCSS. Could this be a coincidence? When I try to beep into the repeaters with CTCSS, I don't receive anything back. Thank you! 

14 minutes ago, WRYQ699 said:

I was not transmitting 5MHz above the 462 MHz frequency, By doing this, I was able to transmit to two of the 6 repeaters in my area.

Huh?  Maybe its the allergy medicine, but this makes zero sense to me.

Lets try this again -

• Yes or NO: Are you transmitting on one of the pre-programmed repeater channels?
  • Yes or NO: Are you transmitting on a simplex channel (15-22)?

10 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Huh?  Maybe its the allergy medicine, but this makes zero sense to me.

Lets try this again -

• Yes or NO: Are you transmitting on one of the pre-programmed repeater channels? NO
  • Yes or NO: Are you transmitting on a simplex channel (15-22)? No I am not.

42 minutes ago, WRYQ699 said:

Hi there,

I was not transmitting 5MHz above the 462 MHz frequency, By doing this, I was able to transmit to two of the 6 repeaters in my area. The two that I was able to transmit both have a DCS tone and the rest that I am still having issues with are all CTCSS. Could this be a coincidence? When I try to beep in to the repeaters with CTCSS, I don't receive anything back. Thank you! 

I doubt that it’s a coincidence. I suspect you don’t have the correct CTCSS tone set. Some repeaters have different transmit tones than receive tones. 

The pre-programmed Repeater channels have the 5 MHz offset programmed in. I would always start with one of those and then just set the transmit tones. You can even leave the receiver tones blank. You’ll hear everything then. 

On 9/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, WRYQ699 said:

When I first tried to set up my radio ( I am new) I was setting the tone for both R and T. I found out it only needed to be set for T (transmit) One I turned off or erased the R (receive) I was able to talk. Hope this helps. 

I'm having a similar issue with both of my TD-H8's. I can transmit into the repeater and I'm not even bring it up until I let go of the PTT and then it brings up the repeater. All tones are correct it just seems like the radio does not broadcast the tone until I let off the PTT on either radio.  

3 hours ago, WRYL854 said:

I'm having a similar issue with both of my TD-H8's. I can transmit into the repeater and I'm not even bring it up until I let go of the PTT and then it brings up the repeater. All tones are correct it just seems like the radio does not broadcast the tone until I let off the PTT on either radio.  

So, you hear nothing while transmitting and then, when you let go of the PTT, you hear a burst of noise? (Squelch tail)

Are you testing by transmitting on one of the radios while the other is close nearby so you can hear it?
Transmitting on one while listening on another that’s close by can cause something called “desense”.  What happens is that the listening radio goes deaf to the repeater because it’s overwhelmed by the RF power of the nearby transmitter. 
Try giving the receiving radio to someone at the other end of the house (or even further).

Yes, that is what seems to be happening. I have sent another know good radio with my son and the other H8 with a friend both several miles away but within range of transmitting simplex and  making it into the repeater. Both H8's did the same thing no transmit till the end. I also checked with another radio the transmit frequency and they are both transmitting. They both seem to not be transmitting the ctcss codes till the tail end of the transmission.  

I recently picked up a Tidradio H8 Gmrs and I am having the same problem as stated above. I'm not able to hit any of my 3 Local Repeaters that I can easily hit with my 

other 3 ht's All are set to the exact same settings and tones. I know that it is transmitting because when I program in 467.xxx into one of my other radios it opens the squelch.

I really like the radio seems to be good quality? But I am disappointed at the performance so far. Also as a side note I have tried several different antennas even the one mag mount on top of my truck ,same result.    

I'll be monitoring if anybody comes with a reason or solution.

Update :  10-21-23

In my previous post I stated that I too was having trouble trying to hit any repeaters. With a recently purchased TD H8 GRMS.

In my attempt to investigate the problem I bought a Surecom 33  SWR-Watt Meter which is good for .1 watts to 100 watts. To my surprise when keying the H8it showed absolutely no activity on transmit. I am at this time trying to contact Tidradio to see what can be done to rectify the problem. Also to quell any doubt I tried it on My 2       Btech GMRS V2     Radios which which had readings of 5.02-5.03 watts which I was very surprised and pleased.

So anyone having the same problem you might try checking the out put of your radio.

I did say that when it opened squelch on another radio BUT it was setting on the same table so if its transmitting anything it is very very low power.

11-13-23 Update

I got in touch with Tidradio customer support and after a few e-mails back and forth including a video showing no power output on tx. They agreed that there was a problem and shipped me a new radio that works great. 

Their customer support was very good.

Edited by WRXJ635
Update

I am having a similar issue as well. Brand-new H8, programmed for local NGGMRS repeater FLAGSHIP with RX 462.675 D114N and TX 467.675D114N. 

On the H8 when I go to that channel it shows 462.675. When I press PTT the display changes to 467.675, so it seems to me the radio is swtching to the repeater's TX frequency instead of transmitting on the repeater's RX frequency. And there appears to be an "S" on the display and I cannot figure out what that refers to, perhaps where an R should be? See attached. Then again I could be way off and missing something obvious. Any help much appreciated.

Guerry, Jasper GA

WRTR881

UPDATE! The H8 is working just fine, was just on the repeater and signal was strong with another local radio. I did change the codes to OFF on RX and D114N on TX. I'm still curious about the "S" and why I don't get a repeater acknowledgement when I just hit the repeater. 

3 hours ago, WRTR881 said:

I am having a similar issue as well. Brand-new H8, programmed for local NGGMRS repeater FLAGSHIP with RX 462.675 D114N and TX 467.675D114N. 

On the H8 when I go to that channel it shows 462.675. When I press PTT the display changes to 467.675, so it seems to me the radio is swtching to the repeater's TX frequency instead of transmitting on the repeater's RX frequency. And there appears to be an "S" on the display and I cannot figure out what that refers to, perhaps where an R should be? See attached. Then again I could be way off and missing something obvious. Any help much appreciated.

Guerry, Jasper GA

WRTR881

UPDATE! The H8 is working just fine, was just on the repeater and signal was strong with another local radio. I did change the codes to OFF on RX and D114N on TX. I'm still curious about the "S" and why I don't get a repeater acknowledgement when I just hit the repeater. 

A repeater acknowledgement is only heard if the repeater operator programs it. It’s not necessary and some do not. 

As you save more channel and repeaters with various settings in your radio you may discover that the GMRS version of the radio limits the total number of channels/memories that you can transmit on.  Channels 1 through 30 are your GMRS simplex and repeater defaults.  31 to 52 are the programmable channels.  53 and up are receive only.  The only place in the manual where this is mentioned is on page 4 of the hard copy manual which lists all the features. The PDF online version does not list this limitation. 

When you reset the radio to Unlock mode, all these restrictions go away.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, StogieVol said:

When I first tried to set up my radio ( I am new) I was setting the tone for both R and T. I found out it only needed to be set for T (transmit) One I turned off or erased the R (receive) I was able to talk. Hope this helps. 

Thank you sir. I was having the same trouble with being able to hear but not be heard. I changed my settings and bam, I am now heard.