How long to get the Call Sign from the GMRS Licensing sign up?

Guest Rick

It usually only takes a couple days but sometimes the FCC has issues with their data list getting uploaded and that's where this site gets it's data from to verify your call sign. You can check the daily data list here and check your FRN here. You should get an email from the FCC though before it shows up in the Daily data list. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WRZL581

I applied for my FRN number last night, received my number in a few minutes went ahead and paid my fee for the GMRS and got my call name within the hour. I was surprised how quickly the response was. I'm still waiting for my call sign to be updated in the database so I can register on MYGMRS.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

They don't work on weekends.  So maybe you get it Monday or Tuesday?

It’s probably automated anyway.
I’m a Volunteer Examiner. Our coordinator electronically turns in test results for ham radio candidates after 10 pm MST Thursday, which is after midnight in DC, and people get their licenses that day (Friday).

20 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It’s probably automated anyway.
I’m a Volunteer Examiner. Our coordinator electronically turns in test results for ham radio candidates after 10 pm MST Thursday, which is after midnight in DC, and people get their licenses that day (Friday).

When we turn in test results from a Saturday session...we usually get calls on Monday 

Laurel VEC

FCC scoops up the results on Monday - Friday at 7AM, 3PM 

On 11/27/2023 at 12:37 AM, Gingineer said:

I applied/paid around 9am on a Friday (Oct-27-2023) and received my license email at 3:34am Saturday.

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

There’s no reason a ham call sign should take more or less time than GMRS. 

Tested for Ham Saturday Nov 25 2023, 9am, Thanksgiving weekend.

Got notification from FCC at 11:09am Monday NOV-27 that payment was required for the application submitted for me on behalf of ARRL.

Paid within 30 minutes, showed pending immediately after on FCC website as well as bank account for the rest of the day. Received an email from Hamstudy.org that my callsign was issued at 3:05am Tuesday NOV-28, which I assume was automatically generated upon approval/completion of payment.

Edit: Posting is hard, meant to quote the part about yeah that's ham, question was on GMRS. Seems like they're the same process except ham adds the test results submission as the application vs someone selecting an Apply button. Timeframe a month apart for 2 different licenses ran the same

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

There’s no reason a ham call sign should take more or less time than GMRS. 

You’d think so. Except the VE’s that gave me my test snail mailed the forms from the west coast to the ARRL on the east coast. Once the ARRL had them it only took a day… I think it took 10 days total to get my ham call sign. I was getting worried the pony died in route.😂

49 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

You’d think so. Except the VE’s that gave me my test snail mailed the forms from the west coast to the ARRL on the east coast. Once the ARRL had them it only took a day… I think it took 10 days total to get my ham call sign. I was getting worried the pony died in route.😂

I am a CVE and I upload all documents directly - my best turn around is test on Saturday and license posted Monday morning.

The Pony Express and Well Fargo might be more stylish but less swift 😎

5 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

I am a CVE and I upload all documents directly - my best turn around is test on Saturday and license posted Monday morning.

The Pony Express and Well Fargo might be more stylish but less swift 😎

I think most do it that way, the very nice people at ARRL said they have tried convincing the people that did mine to just upload their info to no avail. Small problems in the big scheme of things really. It didn’t really take away from my experience. 

• 2 weeks later...