Stun and Kill Function

CyborgAlienWRYG738

Question

1 minute ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Would a full reset of the device, do anything to improve anything?

There is no setting on that radio that would reduce the power output when set to high power. 

BUT - i would try a full reset anyway as that is probably the first thing that BetterSafeRadio will have you try.  

7 hours ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

As a n update on this, I have since changed ALL my passwords, I hope this is what you were referring to.

It’s always a good idea to go through your passwords from time to time, but that’s not what is needed to prevent someone from stunning or killing your radio.

Your radio has an ANI.  By default, all radios of that model are programmed with a factory default ANI.  In order to stun or kill your radio two things must be true:

1. The stun or kill function must be enabled in your radio. 

2. The person sending the stun or kill command must send it along with the ANI that is programmed into your radio.  That’s especially easy if you never changed the ANI from the factory default. All someone would have to do is send out the stun or kill command with the factory default ANI.

So, you should use Chirp or the factory CPS to change the ANI to be different from the factory default.  Also, unless you have a reason, disable the ability of your radio to be stunned or killed.

28 minutes ago, WRUI365 said:

I wonder if you people know that stun and kill function is by digital means, not analog. As in if you are using a DMR, NXDN or P25 unit and someone wants you not on that talk group. There is no analog means of doing that for the reason that in the digital modes your radio is transmitting a unit id number. In analog it doesn't.

These analog radios can be configured to transmit their ANI at the beginning or end of a transmission.  Most are not set that way.  But the stun and kill functions are specifically described in the manual. 

It’s true that digital modes require an ID with each transmission, and it’s true that digital modes have enhanced abilities with respect to being ejected from talk groups, but that’s different from what is being discussed.

33 minutes ago, WRUI365 said:

I wonder if you people know that stun and kill function is by digital means, not analog. As in if you are using a DMR, NXDN or P25 unit and someone wants you not on that talk group. There is no analog means of doing that for the reason that in the digital modes your radio is transmitting a unit id number. In analog it doesn't.

WRONG!

Stun and Kill are activated using DTMF (Dual Tone, Multiple Frequency) tones, not digital although they can be sent in digital radios.

9 hours ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

I did notice a slight increase of output power after a subsequent complete wipe as well, though I don't have the full power I once had. It's noticable when I try to talk to locations from inside my house that I now have to go outside to reach.

Once again, Stun and Kill have absolutely nothing to do with reducing your transmission power.

Stun disables transmission entirely.

Kill disables transmission and reception.

1 minute ago, WRQC527 said:

Some radios can be remotely shut down (stunned or killed) by sending a signal to them from another radio. I'm sure others here will pontificate in much greater detail.

Does this actually "kill" another radio?!? Like to make it so it doesn't work right anymore?!? I hope others expand on this... Anyone from Wouxun in the house?!?

6 minutes ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Does this actually "kill" another radio?!? Like to make it so it doesn't work right anymore?!? I hope others expand on this... Anyone from Wouxun in the house?!?

From my research, a radio can be revived in similar fashion. It's also questionable whether the feature actually works or if it's a carryover of a feature of commercial radios that isn't actually enabled. I've never heard of anyone who has killed a radio or anyone whose radio has been killed. One of my Chinese radios calls it a "remote death function". Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

53 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

From my research, a radio can be revived in similar fashion. It's also questionable whether the feature actually works or if it's a carryover of a feature of commercial radios that isn't actually enabled. I've never heard of anyone who has killed a radio or anyone whose radio has been killed. One of my Chinese radios calls it a "remote death function". Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Curiosity in how one could recover from it...

21 minutes ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Curiosity in how one could recover from it...

I'd be more curious about if it actually works in the first place. Although I would hesitate sacrifice my extensive collection of three Baofeng HTs and two cheap Chinese mobiles to find out. 

43 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Its just like on modern cars how law enforcement have your car shut off if you are not stopping or whatever.

Which is one reason I haven't had a daily driver built in the 21st century. The other reason being that I spend all my money on radios. 

Here’s what a Reddit user said:

Stun is a setting which will allow the radio to receive but not be controlled or used to transmit. It will listen for the revive command.

It's a commercial radio feature. For example, if you have a radio which found it's way into the wrong department and need to get it back...you stun the radio so the current user brings the radio in. The radio can then either be remotely revived or revived through reprogramming the codeplug. Now there is also a function called kill...which is used to make the radio inoperable. In cases where a killed radio can be recovered, it will have to go back to the manufacturer (with the associated service fee) to be fixed.

Short of Stun/Revive/Kill:

A stunned radio can be revived. A killed radio is dead.

26 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Here’s what a Reddit user said:

Stun is a setting which will allow the radio to receive but not be controlled or used to transmit. It will listen for the revive command.

It's a commercial radio feature. For example, if you have a radio which found it's way into the wrong department and need to get it back...you stun the radio so the current user brings the radio in. The radio can then either be remotely revived or revived through reprogramming the codeplug. Now there is also a function called kill...which is used to make the radio inoperable. In cases where a killed radio can be recovered, it will have to go back to the manufacturer (with the associated service fee) to be fixed.

Short of Stun/Revive/Kill:

A stunned radio can be revived. A killed radio is dead.

I'm curious if my radio has had something like that done to it somehow, since I can't seem to get out and my power is about ½ it's full potential and it's brand new, a Wouxun KG-UV9GX. I heard a bit ago on one of the channels that I had been monitoring and keyed up on one time to find out about "their net", that they had done something like this to people who weren't "paying customers" and I wonder if it did something to my radio as it's progressively gotten worse since then. If it has, they're going to be hearing from my attorney!

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

What did BetterSafeRadio Support say when you contacted them about this issue?

I'm still in talks with Mark about it, on Facebook, I'm thinking about giving him a call, as soon as I find out why it's lost all it's power since I heard that guy talk about doing radios that way on their "net chat" that night a week or so ago. My power has dropped from 4 something just a couple of days ago to low 3W's and I don't know why yet. I just happened on that feature on the Wouxun KG-1000+ units today and got my mind wondering about it...

10 minutes ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

My power has dropped from 4 something just a couple of days ago to low 3W's

Are you transmitting on the same channel as you were when you were getting 4W?  The output varies on most of these radios depending on the frequency.

25 minutes ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

I'm curious if my radio has had something like that done to it somehow, since I can't seem to get out and my power is about ½ it's full potential and it's brand new, a Wouxun KG-UV9GX. I heard a bit ago on one of the channels that I had been monitoring and keyed up on one time to find out about "their net", that they had done something like this to people who weren't "paying customers" and I wonder if it did something to my radio as it's progressively gotten worse since then. If it has, they're going to be hearing from my attorney!

It doesn’t quite work that way. Stun/kill has to be enabled on the radios I have with it. 

14 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Are you transmitting on the same channel as you were when you were getting 4W?  The output varies on most of these radios depending on the frequency.

It's doing it on ALL the channels, no matter what frequency, including repeaters, as tested on the Nissei RS-50 I just got, from 1 - 30+