Anytone AT-5888uv

WRWM725

Question

7 answers to this question

For a similar price,but without the UHF capability, look at the Yaesu FT-2980:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=13633

A few people get on our repeater using these. From 50 miles away they come through with full quieting.

If you must have UHF, consider the Yaesu FTM-6000.  I don’t know anyone who owns it but the reviews I’ve read have been positive, a nice, simple, and reliable two band ham radio. https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=15198

Both of these are currently in production.

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

For a similar price,but without the UHF capability, look at the Yaesu FT-2980:

A few people get on our repeater using these. From 50 miles away they come through with full quieting.

If you must have UHF, consider the Yaesu FTM-6000.

I love my FT-2980.  Built like a tank, great audio, never gets hot, etc.  There is one repeater that's 60+ miles away from me that I am able to use with no issues.  As has been said many times here, "power is not everything" and going from 50 watts to 80 watts gives you *maybe* 25% more range ... but it doesn't hurt, either.  🙂

I just wish there was a 70cm version of the same radio.

As far as the FTM-6000, I too have no personal experience with it, but I do see that HRO has it on sale for $40 off until 11/27.  (Chances are some of the other retailers will also have it for the same price.  Funny how that works!)

I've got one of the FTM-6000s. It currently sits in a go-box, unused. I'm not a fan of the menu system and found it difficult to work with, as it's just not intuitive, IMO. As a unit, It is a decent starter rig, but I do prefer ICOM and its menu system. My primary unit is an ID-5100 which has its own quirks as far as using the remote head is concerned, but I solved that with a Swap My Rigs extender kit.