What's a good mobile setup

WRZQ886

On 12/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, WRZQ886 said:

Looking at getting a mobile radio to install in my truck, leaning on Btech from talking to a few others but haven't decided on what model. Any recommendations are appreciated

If I were looking for a good GMRS mobile, I would look at the used or new old stock commercial radios, such as Motorola CDM 1250 or Kenwood TK-series. These radios may not be typed accepted for GMRS, but they can easily be modified for GMRS. Don't get me wrong, BTECH WOUXUN and MIDLAND have good radios, but ICOM KENWOOD MOTOROLA and VERTEX also make excellent uhf mobile radios for GMRS and other bands. 

Who really cares if the Radio is Part 90 or Part 95 E? As long the radio properly tuned for the GMRS, the FCC wouldn't object individuals using old Part 90 Radios. 

12 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

These radios may not be typed accepted for GMRS, but they can easily be modified for GMRS.  

A matter of fact, Part 90 Type-Accepted radios are not Type-Accepted for Part 95, GMRS. These days, the FCC will only issue one Type-Acceptance to a radio device and if they are going to allow that radio device to be used in another radio service then there will be a rule in the affected respective radio service rules to allow that device to be used. And, if the FCC is going to prohibit a particular radio device being used in a particular radio service than the respective radio(s) will have a rule stating the fact.

Anyways, Part 90 Type-Accepted radios are legal to use on the GMRS allocated channel pairs, pursuant Part 95, Subparts A and E . What modification would anyone need to perform on a Part 90 radio in order to use on a Part 95 channel, and WHY would anyone need to modify such radio?

Please note that the Part 95, Subpart E, allocated GMRS channels, have the same emission, accuracy, bandwidth, and stability rule requirements as the Part 90 allocated frequencies and are right smack in the middle of the Part 90 freqs. Do you think that the FCC is going to allow loose requirements for GMRS allocated channels and interfere with the adjacent Part 90 allocated channels when there are no guard spacing between the two radio services?

Actually, the Motorola XTL radio series radios are excellent radios for GMRS use and will out last just about any radio. There are several good buys on the XTL series radios especially the XTL2500 models. You obviously don't need a Trunk and Digital flashed radio for GMRS channels and those radios can be had anywhere anywhere from $67-100. You can pick up a control head separately for about the same cost.

Then you will need the data cable for about $50-90, control head power cable for about $50 and then a microphone and speaker. You can get the programming software and cable for about $100

Some complete XTL2500 packages can be had for about $300-400 and XTL5000 packages for about $500. The standard channel capacity for the XTL2500 radios is 512 and 1,000 for the XTL5000. These radios are well worth the cost and will last forever.

The XTL2500 radio I just acquired has a channel capacity of a tad over 800 channels.

Also, the Kenwood TK series radios are good radios for GMRS. I acquired a TK880-1 last summer as a raffle prize that I thought that I would just give it away for free to a new member in one of my radio clubs. After programming the radio, I decided to keep the radio. The physical size of this radio is perfect for one of my cars that can't accommodate a radio installation very well and I wouldn't even think of permanently installing a radio in this car.

Anyone have or run the Melowave Overlander ANM-123G? I am looking to get a Wouxun radio for my Jeep and want to run the antenna on the rear where I had my CB antenna.

Also when running GMRS antennas, do they need to be grounded to the Jeep like the CB antenna. Sorry if that's a dumb question, relatively new to GMRS world. 

On 12/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, nokones said:

A matter of fact, Part 90 Type-Accepted radios are not Type-Accepted for Part 95, GMRS. These days, the FCC will only issue one Type-Acceptance to a radio device and if they are going to allow that radio device to be used in another radio service then there will be a rule in the affected respective radio service rules to allow that device to be used. And, if the FCC is going to prohibit a particular radio device being used in a particular radio service than the respective radio(s) will have a rule stating the fact.

This is not necessarily true. Almost all of the current VHF LMR radios with Part 90 acceptance are also granted Part 80 acceptance (marine radio). I think Part 95 is not worth the time/money to request certification for anymore. 

I shouldn't have said who cares whether the radio is typed accepted or not. To me, it just seems odd when older commercial part 90 radios can't be repurposed for GMRS. Amateur Radio Operators snatch up those radios like toilet paper at HAM FESTS.  Then again, those recently new FCC Part 95 E. Rados are easier to program on the fly. With Kenwood or Motorola, programming software and cables aren't easy to obtain, unless you know where to go. 

Happy Holidays to All !

1 hour ago, Adamdaj said:

To me, it just seems odd when older commercial part 90 radios can't be repurposed for GMRS. Amateur Radio Operators snatch up those radios like toilet paper at HAM FESTS.  

It is odd, but for some reason the FCC has made the determination to require Part 95E acceptance for GMRS radios.

That being said, I am told that the current Technician class HAM radio license is not too hard to pass and then you will have unfettered access to all the radios you want on the 450 MHz band and play and experiment all you want with these radios, without fear or even prejudice of being assaulted by the FCC!

Hope everyone enjoyed their Holidays. whether it's Christmas or Hanukkah. I sure hope everyone had plenty of time to reconnect with Family and Friends. Knowing with the FRS/GMRS radios, I noticed they're becoming popular with model railroad clubs. Of course, I rather use MURS for model railroad, since the prototype operates in the VHF spectrum. 

Well Happy Holidays Again!