What's a good mobile setup

WRZQ886

Virtually all the GMRS radios from China come from 3 or 4 factories, so there is little difference between brands. The features are what set them apart, but a higher cost doesn't equate to better quality. The TYT DB-20 is a great radio that will meet the needs of about 80% of those looking for a small mobile.

I have had/used every brand of GMRS radio in my Jeep(s) and almost every model of every brand, and for Part 95 "GMRS" radios, I prefer the Wouxun KG1000G.  It is a better quality radio than BTech and most (maybe all) the other brands, it outputs a full 50W, and has a remote-mount removable faceplate.  Several of my off-road friends use this radio and they are all happy with it.

And FYI - even though its spelled Wooks-On, it's pronounced "Ocean" .

Another good 20 watt mobile that is IP67 dust and water proof for right at $200 is the Wouxun KG-XS20G. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wouxun-KG-XS20G-Compact-Mobile-Radio/dp/B09WQK5FGN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=JWWAFV1QOW43&keywords=wouxun+gmrs+radio&qid=1701541677&s=electronics&sprefix=wouxun%2Celectronics%2C118&sr=1-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

From personal experience, the Wouxun radios are better than the Baofeng radios. And I also prefer the Wouxun mobile radios over Midland radios.

I am running the Wouxun KG-XS20G in my SxS and am also using two Wouxun KG-1000G Plus radios, one in my vehicle and the other as my base station.

12 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Another good 20 watt mobile that is IP67 dust and water proof for right at $200 is the Wouxun KG-XS20G. 

Agreed - from actual usage/experience. The XS20G is GREAT if you will be very dusty/wet environments - and it is very small which is great if dont have a lot of room.  Also a few $$ less than the 1000G

1 minute ago, OffRoaderX said:

Agreed - from actual usage/experience. The XS20G is GREAT if you will be very dusty/wet environments - and it is very small which is great if dont have a lot of room.  Also a few $$ less than the 1000G

The XS20G is just about perfect for use in a side by side where it is exposed to dust and water. We get a mix of dust and rain here in Missouri. 

36 minutes ago, WRZQ886 said:

I actually was hoping to find something compact and durable something that will last more than a year. 

The XS20G will last for years.  

• I know 4 friends that have had the BTech 50W GMRS radios in their Jeeps.. 3 of them have failed in 3 years or less.
  • I know ~10 friends with Midlands, 1 has failed 3 years or less..
  • I know 20+ friends that have KG1000G or XS20G radios in their Jeeps, with 0 failures.

The data is anecdotal, but, i think it shows a trend.

I would go with the Wouxun KG-XS20G if you want a compact and durable mobile that is actually IP rated with an IP67 rating.

Here is a good simple explanation of IP ratings: https://www.setra.com/blog/what-does-an-ip67-rating-mean

Here is a photo of my XS20G mounted in my Honda Pioneer 500 UTV 

GMRSradio.jpg.8e766b6d691da8bf3fafcd99e21a7956.jpg

I'm very happy for the radio community has all this availability of nice radios with full of features, and people that will give you advises. I wish we had this back in the early 80's. I went to several "okay beginner" radio from radio shack and paid alot  of money. My 2nd radio getting serious was a cobra 148. I paid $160.00 in 1985, brought it to the technician to set it so it can modulate correctly. That's $150.00, Roger beep is $75.00, D104 mike is $55.00, setting it to run with power coming form the radio(no battery needed), and adding an audio interface unit, putting it inside the radio, that's $45.00 for the unit plus labor. That's over $500 just to match the radio of today given only a 40 channel AM, SSB and added extra. When I saw the new radios today like what randy was showing on video, I just grabbed it and all done. $200-$250 youre running a sophisticated above novice mobile radio that is light years ahead of a cobra 19X or midland.  image.gif.9b014e01eb187a97dc813f2d713e3ca9.gif

On 12/2/2023 at 1:35 PM, WRYZ926 said:

I would go with the Wouxun KG-XS20G if you want a compact and durable mobile that is actually IP rated with an IP67 rating.

Here is a good simple explanation of IP ratings: https://www.setra.com/blog/what-does-an-ip67-rating-mean

Here is a photo of my XS20G mounted in my Honda Pioneer 500 UTV 

GMRSradio.jpg.8e766b6d691da8bf3fafcd99e21a7956.jpg

I have an ex-next door neighbor that moved to Florida. They been inviting us to visit and it turned out to be a great 5 day trip. They live in a place called the villages. The size of the house they got is pretty much the same 4 bedroom. Its a gated community and all they do drive around with a go cart. I am very so glad to know theyre in good hands and very happy and very sad to lose a very nice neighbor.  Looks like youre having the time of your life and enjoy!

On 12/2/2023 at 1:47 PM, WRYZ926 said:

The XS20G is just about perfect for use in a side by side where it is exposed to dust and water. We get a mix of dust and rain here in Missouri. 

I am debating between the XS 20 or the 1000 for my Jeep. I want the 50w power but I want the XS20 cost. Lol 

Right now I am using the Kg-935t HT and it way our performs the cheaper HT's I had before. 

Yes the KG-1000G is more but it is definitely worth the extra if you are wanting a 50 watt mobile. We have been testing out our GMRS repeater for the last few days with different mobiles and HT's (hand held). The Wouxun mobiles and HT radios so far have done the best over a wide range of distances and also have the best sound on transmit and receive.

I'm in mid Missouri so we have a few rolling hills and valleys along with forested areas to deal with. I can easily talk on the repeater with my KG-935G+ inside or outside my house at 21.5 miles away from the repeater tower. Granted the repeater antennas are way up around 400 feet or so. Guys were getting are 18-20 miles range with HT's inside their vehicles.

I just got done texting my KG-XS20G with a Comet 2X4SR antenna on my Honda Pioneer 500 out in the driveway. Again no problems reaching the repeater on 20 watts from 21.5 miles away.

39 minutes ago, StogieVol said:

I am debating between the XS 20 or the 1000 for my Jeep. I want the 50w power but I want the XS20 cost. Lol 

Right now I am using the Kg-935t HT and it way our performs the cheaper HT's I had before. 

Go with what fits your budget and also what will work best for you. The 1000G will help get through thick trees and do better in low spots but you stil won't go wrong with the XS20G

9 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Yes the KG-1000G is more but it is definitely worth the extra if you are wanting a 50 watt mobile. We have been testing out our GMRS repeater for the last few days with different mobiles and HT's (hand held). The Wouxun mobiles and HT radios so far have done the best over a wide range of distances and also have the best sound on transmit and receive.

I'm in mid Missouri so we have a few rolling hills and valleys along with forested areas to deal with. I can easily talk on the repeater with my KG-935G+ inside or outside my house at 21.5 miles away from the repeater tower. Granted the repeater antennas are way up around 400 feet or so. Guys were getting are 18-20 miles range with HT's inside their vehicles.

I just got done texting my KG-XS20G with a Comet 2X4SR antenna on my Honda Pioneer 500 out in the driveway. Again no problems reaching the repeater on 20 watts from 21.5 miles away.

Go with what fits your budget and also what will work best for you. The 1000G will help get through thick trees and do better in low spots but you stil won't go wrong with the XS20G

Appreciate the advice. I am in no rush. So we will see what the budget is when I get there. 

Personally, I would buy a used Motorola XTL2500 or 5000 dash or remote mount radio for a good mobile setup and you could save some money for the programming cable and maybe the software. The Motorola radios will be a lot more durable and will last a lot longer and have some important features that the Chinese radios don't offer.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, nokones said:

Personally, I would buy a used Motorola XTL2500 or 5000 dash or remote mount radio for a good mobile setup and you could save some money for the programming cable and maybe the software. The Motorola radios will be a lot more durable and will last a lot longer and have some important features that the Chinese radios don't offer.

Excellent advice! I was going to go that route myself a while back, but found a good deal on the Vertex VX-4207 on eBay. I picked up two of them for $75 each using the "Make Offer" feature. They are both type 90 and 95 FCC accepted, so they can legally be used on GMRS and 70cm ham band. Plenty of memory channels and features such as scan. Got all the repeater channels programmed into memory with every PL tone so I can scan and use repeaters that I normally wouldn't have in memory while traveling. So, if you feel comfortable programming a radio you'll find these great virtually indestructible radios at a bargain price. I've got a total of four of them now, two in the vehicles and made a repeater out of the other two.

Here's a link to the eBay seller. He fully tests them before shipping and will send you the results as shown on his IFR 1200S service monitor. I have no relation to seller, just passing on a good deal for anyone that wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175863411815?