Announcing location, when you move around full time.

sgtevmckay

Hello folks.

I want to bounce this conversation off folks who, may have, additional opinions.

I am currently a member of SWCRS here in New Mexico.

I am also live Vanlifer. For those that do not know, I live in my van full time and travel.

Currently I travel in the State of New Mexico. I am based in Santa Fe, NM only because this is where I have all my doctors and a mail service. Though I do not spend more than a week at a time in Santa Fe if I can help it.

During our nets, our call-ins record our Call ID, Name, and Location.

our net has me recorded as being in Santa Fe, this is also what I declared when I signed up with SWCRS.

but, being that my location is constantly on to the move, how would you report yourself during Nets and general communications?

looking for opinions on how I should proceed.

32 minutes ago, sgtevmckay said:

Hello folks.

I want to bounce this conversation off folks who, may have, additional opinions.

I am currently a member of SWCRS here in New Mexico.

I am also live Vanlifer. For those that do not know, I live in my van full time and travel.

Currently I travel in the State of New Mexico. I am based in Santa Fe, NM only because this is where I have all my doctors and a mail service. Though I do not spend more than a week at a time in Santa Fe if I can help it.

During our nets, our call-ins record our Call ID, Name, and Location.

our net has me recorded as being in Santa Fe, this is also what I declared when I signed up with SWCRS.

but, being that my location is constantly on to the move, how would you report yourself during Nets and general communications?

looking for opinions on how I should proceed.

Give your call sign, your name, and your location. If you're mobile at the time, say that too. If it were me, I would say "WRQC527 Steve in Fullerton California". Or "mobile in Fullerton California" if that were the case. But if I'm not at home in Fullerton, I would say where I currently am. 

99.23% of the people won't remember where you last reported your location and the remaining .77% won't care. Just report where you currently are or you can be "Less than Truthful" and continue to say "Santa Fe" when you're actually in Oh My Gosh New Mexico. Who would know exactly where you are at that time. Let your conscience be your guide.

"G-M-R-S"

General "MOBILE RADIO" Service

Seems pretty simple to me this would relate more to your current location (City/State should be broad enough) than, your home base location for simplex and repeater conversations. As a strictly mobile setup I give my current location when asked. This way it's understood I am traveling thru at the moment.  I think it would be confusing if someone were to look my call sign and I am 3-500 miles from that location.

Privacy behind the microphone?  Never has been an issue for me.