TIDRADIO H8 problems with GMRS repeater access

Hello all,

So i have 2 Tidradio H8's programmed with chirp and Tidradio software. My issue is on Simplex transmitting works just fine but when i put tones in TX or RX or even both, it will not TX, i can RX just fine.

I have several radios, Tidradio, Baofeng, Kenwwood, Yeasu, (several diff models of each) and ALL are programmed identical to each other. All work flawlessly except the Tidradios.

I have a LONG list of troubleshooting i have done :

Updated firmware. Reset to OEM.

Checked and rechecked all freq's and tones.

Mic gain up in settings.

Hand input all freq's and tones.

Changed batteries, antennas, un-locked, set back to GMRS, set to Ham, erased and re programmed.

Changed channel locations in the radios several different times.

Left the house and used in outdoor setting with zero obstructions.

Repeaters are 1 mile to 20 miles away and ALL other radios hit every on fine.

I have been emailing with Tidradio support and that's been a night mare. troubleshooting for weeks now with them.

Ive probably missed listing what i have done but if you have any advice, I'd be greatful.

P.S. they will both access Ham repeaters just fine. and again, simplex everything works fine.

advice or questions email me (Dave): bigtime24fam@gmail.com

I've not had any issues getting my TD-H8 to transmit, but only on GMRS.  I will say it does seem to have a really good receive, well, if anything it's better than my Baofeng UV-5R variant.   I do not see anything about this being a superhetrodyne receiver though.  I mostly have been using the TD-771 Antenna that came in my bundle.  

Hello Guys,

so yes they (2) radios will not transmit with tones, they receive just fine and always work on simplex. I finally got a replacement radio from Tidradio and programmed it several different ways, Chirp, Tidradio software, GMRS, and unlocked. THAT new radio works flawlessly. So i copied the programming and re programmed the bad radios. NOPE, they still dont transmit. comparing menu's i found the new radio is on the old version of firmware 230911 and the bad radios i did upgrade to the new version 230923. so I'm wondering if somehow i can take those back to the 230911 firmware ??

So its got to be something in the settings that's blocking TX. comparing radios, ALL setting are identical except the firmware version. any ideas would be much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

After sending one back? Send the other one back as well.

No, I didn't send the bad ones back. Tidradio and i emailed back n forth for over a month. 55 troubleshooting emails to be exact. finally they said " Keep your radio's and we are sending you a new one" So they did and i loaded it and it works perfectly. so now i have 1 good radio and 2 that wont work on GMRS repeaters/with tones. will not transmit.

It's weird that you have 2 that both do the same thing.  I (and thousands of other people) have this older firmware version and I even have a pre-production and a pre-pre production model and they all work fine..
Makes me wonder if your CHIRP programming fubar'd them somehow.

15 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

It's weird that you have 2 that both do the same thing.  I (and thousands of other people) have this older firmware version and I even have a pre-production and a pre-pre production model and they all work fine..
Makes me wonder if your CHIRP programming fubar'd them somehow.

Ya i have even used other cables, to different software's, manually entered everything, set and reset, the only thing i can think is try to figure out a completely factory reset somehow and go back to the old firmware. crazy what's going on here. baffling in fact.

I'm not sure you can revert the firmware version, but maybe try a 'type unlock' (can't think of a better way to describe the procedure)... Hold the PTT button, Hold the *, 0, or the # key, while powering on the radio. 

Depending on which key held, you can switch the firmware between GMRS, HAM and full unlock. Doing so completely wipes any and all configuration out, and starts the radio over at a factory base config.

Try switching between the fully unlocked firmware and then back to GMRS firmware. I've done this with my H8 in order to clear a wildly messed up CHIRP configuration.

It's also worth noting that this radio DOES NOT like to play well with programming between the ODmaster Bluetooth phone app and chirp. I've corrupted the configuration many times over trying to switch between both methods of programming.

1 hour ago, WRZE995 said:

I'm not sure you can revert the firmware version, but maybe try a 'type unlock' (can't think of a better way to describe the procedure)... Hold the PTT button, Hold the *, 0, or the # key, while powering on the radio. 

Depending on which key held, you can switch the firmware between GMRS, HAM and full unlock. Doing so completely wipes any and all configuration out, and starts the radio over at a factory base config.

Try switching between the fully unlocked firmware and then back to GMRS firmware. I've done this with my H8 in order to clear a wildly messed up CHIRP configuration.

It's also worth noting that this radio DOES NOT like to play well with programming between the ODmaster Bluetooth phone app and chirp. I've corrupted the configuration many times over trying to switch between both methods of programming.

I switched to all GMRS, HAM, UNLOCK and the firmware stays the same. the new radio I have is on 230911 and the bad ones I updated are on 230923 and those don't change when switching between GMRS, HAM, UNLOCK. I agree with you about Odmaster i absolutely cant get that to work at all. I did download from Tidradio, their software and its very easy to use. someting in that 230923 firmware is blocking something. I am NOT gonna update the new radio from 230911 to 230923 for fear it will stop working also.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:07 PM, DMRUSSELL said:

so now i have 1 good radio and 2 that wont work

I would use the 2 bad radios for parts in case there's issue with the new radio. I'm glad this issue was posted because I was going to purchase this radio, and now I'm having second thoughts

Edited by ULTRA2
Additional Comment

• 1 month later...

I have the 230911 firmware and am having no problems. Kind of wanting to hold off on updating to 230923 now, perhaps there are issues.

I will agree on CHIRP / ODMaster software not wanting to play along. CHIRP doesn't like the settings menu, doesn't seem to be able to align completely to the radio. Something doesn't line up right. But if all you are doing in CHIRP is managing channels, it should be fine. Just understand the CHIRP radio settings tab doesn't line up with the radio's actual options. Probably will be fixed in a later version of CHIRP.

But overall I do like the radios, and so far I like Tidradio.

i have one doing the same thing. it will tax and rx on simplex but will not tx to my repeater or any other. i will be contacting tid radio tomorrow about it. it also will no charge on the base. this is my 4th h8 and i have tried it on every charger i have with no luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What are the improvements/corrections that the newest firmware offer that the older one does not provide.   Have there been so many problems with the radio that it needs to be updated every few months?  The radio will continue to work even with old firmware so unless there is a major flaw in the way it is working now, then I agree with gearjunkie; if it aint broke dont fix it!

On 1/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, DMRUSSELL said:

Hello all,

So i have 2 Tidradio H8's programmed with chirp and Tidradio software. My issue is on Simplex transmitting works just fine but when i put tones in TX or RX or even both, it will not TX, i can RX just fine.

I have several radios, Tidradio, Baofeng, Kenwwood, Yeasu, (several diff models of each) and ALL are programmed identical to each other. All work flawlessly except the Tidradios.

I have a LONG list of troubleshooting i have done :

Updated firmware. Reset to OEM.

Checked and rechecked all freq's and tones.

Mic gain up in settings.

Hand input all freq's and tones.

Changed batteries, antennas, un-locked, set back to GMRS, set to Ham, erased and re programmed.

Changed channel locations in the radios several different times.

Left the house and used in outdoor setting with zero obstructions.

Repeaters are 1 mile to 20 miles away and ALL other radios hit every on fine.

I have been emailing with Tidradio support and that's been a night mare. troubleshooting for weeks now with them.

Ive probably missed listing what i have done but if you have any advice, I'd be greatful.

P.S. they will both access Ham repeaters just fine. and again, simplex everything works fine.

advice or questions email me (Dave): bigtime24fam@gmail.com

I contend that your radio is likely working just fine. Your problem may well be having used Chirp. Ditch the low-budget garbage software and use either TidRadio's own programming application, or spend a little and get RT Systems programming software. Then programming is done perfectly.  -73 and enjoy the hobby.

Good morning,

I am very aware of RT Systems software and Tidradio Software, use them daily so I get how they work. As for Chirp, I have programmed 100's of radios and never experienced this so I don't believe chirp has anything to do with it. I have spent countless hours dealing with Tidradio about this issue and it's still a mystery. so my next step is to get a frequency reader and see if the radios are putting anything OUT. I appreciate your opinion, but I do not believe Chirp is this issue as i have 3 other Tidradio H8s programmed EXACTLY like the 2 that don't work, and they are flawlessly perfect radios. Thank you and have a great weekend.

1 hour ago, WPUC720 said:

I contend that your radio is likely working just fine. Your problem may well be having used Chirp. Ditch the low-budget garbage software and use either TidRadio's own programming application, or spend a little and get RT Systems programming software. Then programming is done perfectly.  -73 and enjoy the hobby.

I have many many radios and have programmed many many many more radios on chirp for others and have never had a problem.  Im part of a huge radio club, and many of them use chirp.  They have also never had a problem with chirp.  This statement most likely is a user error. Maybe you don’t know how to use chirp?    Many gmrs operators don’t have a bunch of money to spend. Many are very happy with their $20radios and chirp for programming.   Some people are just upset because they spent waaaay more money for the same outcome and have to bash free software.  Remember a $20 5watt hand held transmits just as far programmed with chirp than a $5000 Motorola hand held programmed with expensive software. 

I've noticed you can manually setup your own repeater channel and write it to the radio through the odmaster app. But the moment you read from the radio or save the Rx/tx list, the channels you created will revert to have the same rx & tx frequencies. So if you plan to add any channels, you have to go back and make all the adjustments at once and simply write them to the radio, I haven't found an easier work around or solution yet.