Can’t reach closest repeater~25 miles away

Sheldon

Question

Not sure what my solution is here, I can’t reach any repeaters from my home.

I can however hear them. I heard a conversation last night for hours. I got to the highest point of my property, I just can’t reach it. 

Assuming I have input tone correct (none) what solution do I have?  I understand a better antenna is likely the best solution but how does a big yagi on the roof of my barn help me if I’m in my recliner in the living room on a handheld for instance?

and I know a repeater of my own isn’t the solution but is there something like that I can put up in my barn that can then reach my handhelds around the property?

15 answers to this question

First, make sure you are transmitting on a repeater channel. They’ll be labeled either 23-30 or RP15-RP-22.  If you’re on one of the Simplex channels (15-22) you will be able to hear the repeater but the repeater will never hear you. 
Second, make sure you’re transmitting using the correct access tone, whether CTCSS or DCS. Otherwise the repeater will filter out your transmission. 
Finally, it’s entirely possible that you can’t transmit that far from inside your house on a 5 watt handheld. 

Yes I’m transmitting on 467.550 and receiving on 462.550

this is a different repeater than I was asking about in the guest forum  I found this one last night and it seems to be much closer going off their conversation where they lived  

I’m assuming there is no tone because the conversion led me to believe these guys were hanging out wait for random guys to join in (sort of)

maybe I’m not doing it right but from what I understand, my UV-9G can scan for tones but I can’t believe I can obtain an input tone?  Or maybe I’m confused about tones?  What’s the R-TONE at 1000Hz used for?

20 to 25 miles can be a stretch for handhelds on GMRS and 70cm bands. Our club's repeaters are on a tower 21.5 miles away. The 2m and 70cm repeater antennas are at 900 feet and the GMRS repeater antennas are at 400 feet. 

I can get into the GMRS repeater with a handheld when outside but not while inside my house. I can't get into the 70cm repeater at all on a handheld. And it is hit or miss getting into the 2m repeater inside my house but is no problem outside.

42 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I have a 10’ antenna on the roof that is attached to a 5w hand held.   No issues what so ever getting well over 30miles.  Might give it a try if your input tones are correct.    Do you have a way to email or message the owner and ask for help?   

I don’t even know who the owner is. I just started hearing the conversation last night and they came in booming. I’ll have to wait until I hear traffic again and try to scan for a T-CTCS tone to make sure I have it 

49 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

I don’t even know who the owner is. I just started hearing the conversation last night and they came in booming. I’ll have to wait until I hear traffic again and try to scan for a T-CTCS tone to make sure I have it 

And hope that they transmit using the same tone as they filter inputs to the repeater. 

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

Try to get close to the repeater and listen on the input.  Sometimes repeaters use different tones for both encode and decode.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

@Sheldon what is your location, or the location of the repeater you are trying to use?

I’m in Northern California near Lodi.  I have no idea where the repeater is so I’ll try to scan T-CTCS next time I hear traffic. I’m assuming I’m hearing it from Lodi, CA from clues I picked up on from their conversation. 

4 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

I’m in Northern California near Lodi.  I have no idea where the repeater is so I’ll try to scan T-CTCS next time I hear traffic. I’m assuming I’m hearing it from Lodi, CA from clues I picked up on from their conversation. 

Thank you for that info. Maybe someone more local to you (or the repeater) can help you out.

13 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Have you looked at the map? There are several in the area.

https://mygmrs.com/map/

Yup, I looked through the map and nothing is closer than 20-25 miles. I was thinking this repeater wasn’t on that map. 
I ended up scanning 467.550 and got very lucky with a user near me. Turns out the repeater is over 50 miles from me!  
I had to walk outside my house but my HT got in!   I was shocked.