FCC Part 95

4 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.  If you are arguing that a GMRS station using a mobile radio, power supply, and outside antenna is a "fixed station" (as defined in Part 95 A) and must adhere to the restrictions for fixed stations, you are incorrect.

The term "fixed base" appears nowhere in Part 95 that I can see.

I do agree that the type of radio ("base", "mobile", or "HT") does not determine the classification.

You better go back in completely reread Part 95 and get back to me with your findings and I don't mean just subparts A and E.

Again, and your point is?

I would also strongly disagree with you.  A circular definition with no additional information is not clear.

You must be an Amateur than and I don't mean a HAM radio operator.

14 minutes ago, nokones said:

You must be an Amateur than and I don't mean a HAM radio operator.

OK I'll recap.  I challenge your incorrect assertion that all "at home" GMRS stations are considered fixed stations and rather than defend that position you start insulting me.  Into the ignore list you go.

For those watching from the sidelines ... why are there definitions for "base stations" and "control stations" in Part 95 A?

Kenny, You are flat wrong in stating that a transmitter location defines how it is classified. The use of the station determines the class. If a station only communicates with one other station, then you could consider it a fixed station. Yes, some fixed stations do communicate with more than one other station, but the others are usually receive only. Golf course or farm sprinkler systems are examples of one-to-many, while microwave is an example of a one-to-one system. Radios used under parts 95 and 97 are either base stations, control stations or repeater stations.

7 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Kenny, You are flat wrong in stating that a transmitter location defines how it is classified. The use of the station determines the class. If a station only communicates with one other station, then you could consider it a fixed station. Yes, some fixed stations do communicate with more than one other station, but the others are usually receive only. Golf course or farm sprinkler systems are examples of one-to-many, while microwave is an example of a one-to-one system. Radios used under parts 95 and 97 are either base stations, control stations or repeater stations.

Where did I state a location dictates the class of station?

10 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

OK I'll recap.  I challenge your incorrect assertion that all "at home" GMRS stations are considered fixed stations and rather than defend that position you start insulting me.  Into the ignore list you go.

For those watching from the sidelines ... why are there definitions for "base stations" and "control stations" in Part 95 A?

I never said that all at home GMRS stations are fixed stations by rule. I said they are fixed locations thus depending on how that station and to who you are communicating with that station at a fixed location will define the class of station by Part 95 rather if your are a fixed Base or fixed station, there is a difference by definition

11 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Where are those terms (Fixed Base and Fixed Base 2) defined within part 95?

They're not - which is part of the FCC's problem of using terms defined in other classes, then bringing them over to Part 95 without full definition or clarification.

We've been through this all at least 4 or 5 other times. My thoughts haven't changed.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/4835-fixed-station-what-does-that-mean-to-fcc/?do=findComment&comment=47430

5 minutes ago, Radioguy7268 said:

They're not - which is part of the FCC's problem of using terms defined in other classes, then bringing them over to Part 95 without full definition or clarification.

Where do you see "fixed base" or "fixed base 2" in Part 95?  FB and FB2 are terms used for Part 90 licensing, no?  So not applicable to Part 95?

Oh and I tried to go read your post in that other thread but the link didn't work for me ... just took me back to this thread.

Just now, WRQC527 said:

I'll bet you hold the record for being on the most MyGMRS ignored user lists. 

I really don't care.

Just read the rules. It's all there. People are not completely reading the rules and I already pointed/cited the rule in question out. If the rule that I point out is not to your liking I can't help that and no one has come back and explain what than does that particular rule mean than. All people have to do is than explain the rule I pointed out. No, they can't do that because they don't know how.

Where do you see "fixed base" or "fixed base 2" in Part 95?  FB and FB2 are terms used for Part 90 licensing, no?  So not applicable to Part 95?

Oh and I tried to go read your post in that other thread but the link didn't work for me ... just took me back to this thread.

Did you read the definition of a Fixed Station in Part 95.303

Copied directly from Part 95.303

47 CFR 95.303 “Fixed station” Fixed station. A station at a fixed location that directly communicates with other fixed stations only.

Just now, Radioguy7268 said:

Not applicable if you don't wish them to be applicable. Keep on arguing/discussing the meanings. 

I'm not arguing anything.  I'm quoting Part 95, which is the applicable section of the FCC regulations for GMRS.

Part 90 does not apply to GMRS.  Sorry if you think otherwise.

Talking through repeaters doesn't make you a control station.  A control station controls operation.  A repeater user is a control station only for his own radio(s) not the repeater.  This is not in question at all; it is well established and clearly stated by FCC.

A base station is not a fixed station, even though it is at a fixed location.

Asking FCC to clarify/interpret the rules is pointless unless you have some special access to the guy in charge.

It's amazing that so many members here can post so much stupid crap.

9 minutes ago, UncleYoda said:

Talking through repeaters doesn't make you a control station.  A control station controls operation. 

According to the rules it does:

Control station. A station at a fixed location that communicates with mobile stations and other control stations through repeater stations, and may also be used to control the operation of repeater stations. 

1 hour ago, nokones said:

Where did I state a location dictates the class of station?

You have stated it many times with your interpretation of Fixed Station. You have stated several times that a station that doesn't move is, by definition, a fixed station. That is an incorrect interpretation, as fixed stations are primarily used to transfer data from one fixed point to another. A control station triggers another, usually remote, station to begin or cease operation, while a base station is used to communicate with either other base or mobile stations. Pressing your PTT to trigger a repeater to carry your information automatically renders your station a control station, as it is controlling the operation of the repeater. Simplex between two stations is classified as base-to-base traffic or base-to-mobile traffic, depending on where the remote unit is located.

5 hours ago, BoxCar said:

You have stated it many times with your interpretation of Fixed Station. You have stated several times that a station that doesn't move is, by definition, a fixed station. That is an incorrect interpretation, as fixed stations are primarily used to transfer data from one fixed point to another. A control station triggers another, usually remote, station to begin or cease operation, while a base station is used to communicate with either other base or mobile stations. Pressing your PTT to trigger a repeater to carry your information automatically renders your station a control station, as it is controlling the operation of the repeater. Simplex between two stations is classified as base-to-base traffic or base-to-mobile traffic, depending on where the remote unit is located.

Below is a copy and paste of what I posted earlier today.

Are you referring that I said "fixed station" in the first paragraph? There are only three paragraphs, can you point out which paragraph I said that?

"All stations (radio devices/equipment units) connected to an antenna that is affixed to a stationary structure (tower or building) are fixed bases because they are not and can not operate in transport (be moved at any given time) thus is a fixed location and is a base operated equipment. A radio device/equipment) connected to an antenna affixed to a vehicle/vessel/aircraft that can be in transport are mobile units."

23 minutes ago, nokones said:

Below is a copy and paste of what I posted earlier today.

Are you referring that I said "fixed station" in the first paragraph? There are only three paragraphs, can you point out which paragraph I said that?

"All stations (radio devices/equipment units) connected to an antenna that is affixed to a stationary structure (tower or building) are fixed bases because they are not and can not operate in transport (be moved at any given time) thus is a fixed location and is a base operated equipment. A radio device/equipment) connected to an antenna affixed to a vehicle/vessel/aircraft that can be in transport are mobile units."

It's a good thing the FCC gave us the Part 95 regulations and definitions right on their website in plain English, because if we had to rely on MyGMRS interpreters like this guy to explain the rules, we would all be getting fines. 

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/section-95.303

Im just gonna leave the CFR here but yeah a fixed station is the worst definition ive seen i really want to send it to a lawyer who specializes in communications law to decipher that one.

Also it seems we have had this discussion before, and come to similar conclusions. I bet if you asked 3 FCC agents the answer you would get 3 different answers. When you are required by law to interpret the law to enforce the law, the law gets tricky.

30 minutes ago, WRYC373 said:

I bet if you asked 3 FCC agents the answer you would get 3 different answers. When you are required by law to interpret the law to enforce the law, the law gets tricky.

Kind of like the ATF. Ask 3 agents the same question and you might get 9 different answers depending on the time and day asked.