Baofeng uv-9g can't make work to repeater

WSAN783

Question

I am new to GMRS and I have been watching videos on how to program my Baofeng uv 9g.  I seems to be easy, but not for me.  I have my license and went on this site to get a repeater close to me and got approved.  They told me to transmit on 467.650 which I put in channel 32 on my radio. I set the dcs codes both transmit and receive, and st the offset to -005.000 which the told me was the receive 462.575.  I can't seem to hit the repeater at all.  Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?  Thanks

25 answers to this question

Just now, WSAN783 said:

Is there another way I should be doing this. Sorry if I sound dumb, but this is new to me I have seen many of your videos which I enjoy and I have been trying to off of them. I see that this radio can only be programmed with and offset not like the others I saw in your videos that you can program the transmit and recieve separte. 

You have two choices:
1) Use a different repeater that uses the standard GMRS +5 offset
C) Become a felon and buy a ham or LMR radio, which is what 100% of the people using that repeater are using. 

1 hour ago, WSAN783 said:

I am new to GMRS and I have been watching videos on how to program my Baofeng uv 9g.  I seems to be easy, but not for me.  I have my license and went on this site to get a repeater close to me and got approved.  They told me to transmit on 467.650 which I put in channel 32 on my radio. I set the dcs codes both transmit and receive, and st the offset to -005.000 which the told me was the receive 462.575.  I can't seem to hit the repeater at all.  Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?  Thanks

You need to set the 462.xxx and have a plus +5 off set   Seams like you’ve got it backwards.  ?

26 minutes ago, WSAG780 said:

I am in the Warner Robins, GA area and I am having a hard time finding a repeater. Can some please help?

No, because we are all talking about something else that has nothing to do with that and veering off-topic would be rude and insulting to the person that started this topic.

3 hours ago, WSAN783 said:

Forgive me if I’m telling you anything you know already. Your repeater channels will already have an offset of +5 so no need to set memory to 467.***,. The second issue I see is if they told you to transmit on 467.650 that would be channel 27 or possibly 35 but if you transmit on 467.650 then you are going to receive on 462.650 not 462.575. 462.575 receiving would be a transmit of 467.575. If I recall correctly the UV9G has the first eight repeaters already set so repeater channel for 462.650 = channel 27 and 462.575 = channel 24. I hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

No, because we are all talking about something else that has nothing to do with that and veering off-topic would be rude and insulting to the person that started this topic.

Sorry! I did not mean to be rude. I am just attempting to learn more about how to access repeaters in my area. I will just keep trying to figure it out.

20 minutes ago, WSAG780 said:

Sorry! I did not mean to be rude.

I'm just lookin out for ya buddy.. "Some People" here are REAL sticklers for following ettiequte and every.. single... little... minuscule rule right down to the tiniest little detail, and they go full R-word when anyone deviates even the tiniest bit - it can get pretty ugly.  Don't believe me?  Create a new topic and ask how often you should use your Roger Beep when on a repeater...

1 minute ago, OffRoaderX said:

I'm just lookin out for ya buddy.. "Some People" here are REAL sticklers for following ettiequte and every.. single... little... minuscule rule right down to the tiniest little detail, and they go full R-word when anyone deviates even the tiniest bit - it can get pretty ugly.  Don't believe me?  Create a new topic and ask how often you should use your Roger Beep when on a repeater...

Thanks for the advice and looking out! I will definitely be more cognizant on my future posts. It is tough being a newbie attempting to navigate all of this radio learning; however, it is fun!!! By the way, I have learned so much by watching just about every one of your YouTube videos.

Just now, WSAN783 said:

Sorry I guess not. This is the exact message they sent me.  

IMG_0358.jpeg

There are a few repeater owners who choose not to adhere to the customary 5.000 MHz offset. This is one of them. 
That means you must be able to set a 5.075 MHz offset or independently program receive and transmit frequencies. If you independently program both frequencies, you shouldn’t enter an offset. 
Standard preprogrammed channels on commercial GMRS radios will not work with this repeater. 

I just tried the offset that you said because I am only using the transmit frequency. The channel I am using on my Baofeng uv 9g is 24. Could that be the problem. Do I need to program the frequency on a differnt channel.  The one I am on says reptr2

20 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

There are a few repeater owners who choose not to adhere to the customary 5.000 MHz offset. This is one of them. 

This does appear to be the case. I had yet to see it done on GMRS. TRON575BOCA.

I stand corrected. Thanks Steve.

Is there another way I should be doing this. Sorry if I sound dumb, but this is new to me I have seen many of your videos which I enjoy and I have been trying to off of them. I see that this radio can only be programmed with and offset not like the others I saw in your videos that you can program the transmit and recieve separte.