Can you reduce syllables in your call sign ("Ten" instead of "One-Zee-Roh")?

Guest Mike in Arizona

Just now, WSAA635 said:

If I'm out in the desert hunting doves it be silly to give my call sign jut to tell my grandson something on the radio. 

If I'm calling for a radio check or joining in on a conversation with people that I don't personally know then sure, I'll use my call sign but it's going to be on a case by case basis. 

If I'm talking with family and friends it'd sound stupid to use my call sign.

Then you should stick to FRS or MURS.

I doubt that the FCC would consider self-consciousness as an excuse for violating their rules. If anything they would think your rationale sounded stupid. 

8 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

If I'm out in the desert hunting doves it be silly to give my call sign jut to tell my grandson something on the radio. 

If I'm calling for a radio check or joining in on a conversation with people that I don't personally know then sure, I'll use my call sign but it's going to be on a case by case basis. 

Honestly dude, you don't need to explain yourself. We've all given you literally assloads of help over the last many days on what radio(s) to buy, and all manner of answers to your GMRS questions. We're not here to tell you what to do. Follow your conscience. I'm serious.

Phonetics are not "a ham thing" they are used in the military, public safety and yes, ham radio. They're used on the telephone for Christ sake.

So here's the "rules" for using them, if your trying to convey a string of letters and numbers to another human, and the recipient keeps getting it wrong, use phonetics.

Or don't, no one gives a shit.

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

There aren’t FRS only channels. GMRS and FRS share channels. Who are we kidding though? You don’t really care what rules apply. 

So what if I get a set of FRS radios, do I still need to use my call sign when I'm talking on them?

So what if I get a set of FRS radios, do I still need to use my call sign when I'm talking on them?

No. FRS is a license-free service and FRS radios are limited to narrow band and either 2 watts or 1/2 watt depending on what frequency. 

25 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

No. FRS is a license-free service and FRS radios are limited to narrow band and either 2 watts or 1/2 watt depending on what frequency. 

So if I have my GMRS radio tuned to an FRS frequency so that I'm using it as an FRS radio then technically I'm on a license free channel so GMRS Rules(saying my call sign every 15 minutes) doesn't apply since I'm not on a channel where I need a license. 

Just now, WSAA635 said:

So if I have my GMRS radio tuned to an FRS frequency so that I'm using it as an FRS radio then technically I'm on a license free channel so GMRS Rules(saying my call sign every 15 minutes) doesn't apply since I'm not on a channel where I need a license. 

Wrong. FRS and GMRS channels are shared. All of them. The difference is bandwidth and power. If you are on a GMRS radio that is putting out five watts wideband, you are exceeding the watt limit and bandwidth of FRS, therefore you are operating as a GMRS license holder and you need to identify with your call sign. In their infinite wisdom, the FCC limits channels 8-14 to 1/2 watt and narrowband regardless of if it's an FRS or GMRS radio, which is why some GMRS radios cannot transmit on those channels. And not to put too fine a point on all this, but every question you have can be answered by thoroughly reading and understanding the information provided here by the FCC.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95

36 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

No, the rules are based on the type of “station” you’re using. If you’re using a GMRS radio you follow GMRS rules. If you’re using an FRS radio you follow FRS rules. 
FRS and GMRS share the same frequencies. There’s no such thing as a “license free” channel if you’re using a GMRS radio. 
A person transmitting on an FRS radio to a person on a GMRS radio doesn’t have to identify. The person with the GMRS radio does. 

18 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I'm on a license free channel

The deal is, while FRS does not require a license like amateur radio or GMRS, it is a "license by rule" service like CB, MURS, and other low-power services. It means that by using those services, you are promising to follow the rules. Which, again, are clearly set forth in the FCC link that was provided to you.

True to form the FCCs like other government agencies have Rules that make ZERO sense. If I'm on GMRS/FRS channels 8-14 with my GMRS radio set to NFM and low power(1/2 watt)the isn't my GRMS radio effectively an FRS radio at that point?  Same channel, same bandwidth,  same power setting so how could ANYONE know that it wasn't an FRS radio. 

I think a lot of you guys are way to caught up in the "Rules & Regulations " instead of just enjoying the fun of talking to friend on the radio. 

True to form the FCCs like other government agencies have Rules that make ZERO sense. If I'm on GMRS/FRS channels 8-14 with my GMRS radio set to NFM and low power(1/2 watt)the isn't my GRMS radio effectively an FRS radio at that point?  Same channel, same bandwidth,  same power setting so how could ANYONE know that it wasn't an FRS radio. 

I think a lot of you guys are way to caught up in the "Rules & Regulations " instead of just enjoying the fun of talking to friend on the radio. 

I would hesitate to say the rules make zero sense. Most of them make a lot of sense. The FCC has the daunting task of allocating a finite RF spectrum across an ever-growing array of multiple entities, from government all the way to personal users, including military, medical, commercial, broadcast radio and TV, amateur radio, railroads, aircraft, anything that uses RF to communicate. GMRS and FRS is a tiny portion of that. One of the gray areas of the GMRS and FRS rules is channels 8-14, because logically-speaking, the narrowband and half-watt restrictions make them effectively FRS-radio-only channels unless you have a GMRS radio that will transmit on a half a watt narrowband. So go ahead, use a half a watt narrowband on channels 8-14 with your GMRS radio and don't ID. The catch there is that I don't think you have an FCC-certified radio that will transmit on a half a watt narrowband. The FCC discontinued certifying combination GMRS/FRS radios about seven years ago. I don't claim to have the specifications on every GMRS-certified radio on the market, so it's up to you to find an FCC-certified GMRS radio that will do a half a watt narrowband. That being said, your unlocked FT-65 might be able to do it. And since you've made it clear that you would rather not get caught up in the rules, you're free to talk to your sovereign citizen friends on a half a watt on whatever radio suits your fancy.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:03 PM, WSAA635 said:

WSAA635 I could not agree more ... My Immediate family can't even remember the callsign to use the radios.

11 minutes ago, WSBP669 said:

So only the license holder talking to immediate family has to use their call sign ever 15 min on FRS / GMRS ??? not the immediate family member,  correct?

Wrong. Every person using a GMRS radio is required to identify. 

95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

4 minutes ago, WSBP669 said:

So only the license holder talking to immediate family has to use their call sign ever 15 min on FRS / GMRS ??? not the immediate family member,  correct?

Technically,  by Rule your GMRS License covers your immediate family(wife,kids,brothers, sisters,etc.)that live in the same State AND they too need to give your(the)call sign every 15 minutes to stay in compliance.

If you don't follow this "Rule" then you know what'll happen......NOT A DANG THING, that's what.  Go watch NotaRibicon's latest video on the YouTubes and you'll see just how many and why people were busted by the FCC. 

Technically,  by Rule your GMRS License covers your immediate family(wife,kids,brothers, sisters,etc.)that live in the same State AND they too need to give your(the)call sign every 15 minutes to stay in compliance.

Not so sure about the "live in the same state" thing. You would need to point out that nuance in the rules, but the actual rule that says who can operate under a licensee's license appears to apply to folks using the licensee's station(s). Not their stations. So basically if your family member lives in Flagstaff and you're in Avondale, and they go out and buy themselves a GMRS radio and start transmitting under your license just because they're your kin, well I'm not sure that exactly qualifies. If they come to your house and you hand them one of your radios for the day, different story. I'll let others pontificate on this, but that's how it appears to me.

It says:

"Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws."

Also, while it is true that it is unlikely the FCC will ever prosecute someone for violating any of Part 95 unless you're doing something really stupid and angering a lot of people, I wouldn't be taking any legal advice from any influencer.

Just to put a finer point to it, the station owner must maintain access and control. That would require proximity:

“The licensee must maintain access to and control over all stations authorized under its license.”

But, yeah, FCC would never seek someone out for violating this. They might add it on as a citation if a person is cited for something more serious. 

9 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

If you don't follow this "Rule" then you know what'll happen......NOT A DANG THING, that's what.

We all understand the lack of enforcement by the FCC. 

11 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

Not following rules because "I don't have to because I don't feel like it" is the reason CB is now useless.   Espousing the same for GMRS hastens its similar demise as a useful band.

@AdmiralCochrane hit the nail on the head. I'm sure we would all like to keep some degree of civility and usefulness in GMRS.