TYT TH-9800D

TacticalTodd

Question

Was interested in purchasing the TYT TH-9800D for summer travels. But before I but it....

I have read that the newer version of the TYT TH-9800D does not work [tx/rx] with all GRMS channels.

A very knowledgeable friend agreed with that.

THEN, i read that you can unlock the TYT in the software.

And another knowledgeable friend stated thah it will work [tx/rx] on all GMRS channels.

Can anyone clear this up for a nube before i pluck down a couple of hundred $$.

Thank you in advance

15 answers to this question

A lot of different radios can have the MARS mod done to them through either a hardware modification or software hack. One is suppose to be a member of MARS or CAP to use an amateur radio outside of the amateur bands. The MARS mod on UHF radios just happens to allow transmission on GMRS channels. That does not mean that the modded radio is legal to use on GMRS channels because it isn't since it is not Part 95 certified. 

A lot of people do the MARS mod and don't worry about the radio not being Part 95 certified. And as long as one is not doing anything to draw attention to themselves will never get in trouble for it.

Radioddity even has the TYT TH-9800 unlock steps on their website. https://www.radioddity.com/blogs/all/th-9800-unlock  And yes the same procedure also works on the TH-7800 using the TH-9800 instructions and password. Use at your own discretion.

Hello,

Is this model the same as just the "D" model without the word "Plus" attached?

I cannot find a D Plus model all but in one place.

If there is such a model, will it do GMRS.  Thank you, but I'm not asking about Part 95 or 97.

Anyway, thank you to anyone who can help.

3 hours ago, MrCoffee said:

Hello,

Is this model the same as just the "D" model without the word "Plus" attached?

I cannot find a D Plus model all but in one place.

If there is such a model, will it do GMRS.  Thank you, but I'm not asking about Part 95 or 97.

Anyway, thank you to anyone who can help.

The TYT 9800 being sold now is the same as the TYT-9800 plus. I have no idea what the differences between these and the D model. 
There’s at least one video that demonstrates how to unlock the radio. 
From the website:

Note: TYT TH-9800 is the same as TH-9800 Plus after 2018, all the stock from Radioddity is the latest version of TH-9800 with the latest firmware and cross-band function.

A year or two ago (much later than 2018) when I purchased my 9800 both were available and after evaluating and looking at specs and reviews I decided to go with the Plus.  Earlier models have trouble with one side of the radio going bad, but I haven't heard any examples of this happening with the 9800 Plus. 

If you have real concerns buy the cat, not the copycat: Yeasu 8900

I own an older 9800 with one side bad, a newer 9800 Plus and a Yeasu 8900 (the 9800 Plus Plus Plus, LOL)

The older 9800s had a 3.3v chip being fed 5v and eventually it would burn up. This usually hapoened to one side of the radio, and then the other. Newer versions have a hw change that corrects this and they were originally sold as the plus.

Out of the box mine worked on gmrs frequencies. There is a change you can make with their cps to change 70cm to 1.25m if you want that for ham. You can also expand the freq range to the hw limits,  ut running them at the hw limits does lead to some out of band emissions/harmonics.

Out of 7 radios, I've had one fail due to the 3.3v/5v issue.

Howdy. Just bought a 9800D Plus to practice for my technician license, and I figured out why people say it cant be used with GMRS. (besides legal issues)

It works very well for simplex, duplex and CTCSS codes. It does not play nice with DCS. You can not duplex the DCS code. A bunch of repeaters around me are not accessible with this radio because of it. My GMRS specific radios have no issues. Even a cheap UV5R does it in testing.

I found this thread looking for solutions. I have not tried the RT Systems software but it might be able to set the radio up to do so. My current solution is to listen on one side and transmit on the others. Not a big issue since I have GMRS radios that do, and this radio is not for that anyhow.

I did try to ask AI about it. It knew the radio and all about it. It said it can specifically do split DCS and to look online or the manual, but I can not find a reference and the manual is not the best.

1 hour ago, WROA412 said:

Howdy. Just bought a 9800D Plus to practice for my technician license, and I figured out why people say it cant be used with GMRS. (besides legal issues)

It works very well for simplex, duplex and CTCSS codes. It does not play nice with DCS. You can not duplex the DCS code. A bunch of repeaters around me are not accessible with this radio because of it. My GMRS specific radios have no issues. Even a cheap UV5R does it in testing.

I found this thread looking for solutions. I have not tried the RT Systems software but it might be able to set the radio up to do so. My current solution is to listen on one side and transmit on the others. Not a big issue since I have GMRS radios that do, and this radio is not for that anyhow.

I did try to ask AI about it. It knew the radio and all about it. It said it can specifically do split DCS and to look online or the manual, but I can not find a reference and the manual is not the best.

Set it to TONE, not TSQL, and it will transmit using a tone and receive anything regardless of the tone. 

There are two gmrs repeaters in my area that specify different codes for Tx DCS and Rx DCS. Is there a work around for this? Where can I find the RT Software? Also note sure how setting it to Tone not TSQL helps anything. I really don't want to have to TX on one band and Rx on the other. 

2 hours ago, WSCP222 said:

There are two gmrs repeaters in my area that specify different codes for Tx DCS and Rx DCS. Is there a work around for this? Where can I find the RT Software? Also note sure how setting it to Tone not TSQL helps anything. I really don't want to have to TX on one band and Rx on the other. 

I just read through the manual. On some radios, you set the Tone Mode to TONE instead of TSQL, it doesn’t expect or use the Rx DCS.  On your radio, that’s set with menu 29, SPK. When SPK is set to SQ, it doesn’t require a code or tone to receive. It reproduces all signals it receives on the RX frequency. 
Unfortunately, your radio doesn’t appear to allow different codes for TX and RX DCS. For the 9800, if you’re set for DCS it expects both transmit and receive DCS codes to either be the same code or inverted versions of each other. You didn’t say what the two DCS codes are.

So, try setting menu #7 DCS.COD to the tx code, menu #8 to match the normal or inverted value needed, #29 SPK to SQ, and #23 RF SQL to a squelch level that you can live with, since your radio won’t be breaking squelch based on a received DCS Code.

If that doesn’t work for you, then you may have to use one side of the radio to transmit using one DCS code and the other receiver to receive using a different DCS code.

Sorry if this doesn’t work.

OK I have decided not to buy the TYT9800 because of this problem but instead I bought the Anytone AT588 which at least allows me to program with their software the DTONE and RxDCS but I would like to use Chirp instead however in Chirp it will not let me select DCTS>DTCS as in option from the cross mode column it doesnt even show up as a choice when trying to program my Anytone AT588 radio. I have no problems in other radio programs such as Baofeng. I have tried with standard and GMRS frequencies but no luck any ideas. The values I have to put in are Tx DCS=152N & Rx DCS=32N.