Jump to content

HamRegistry questions


Guest Capt Mark

Recommended Posts

Guest Capt Mark

OK, so I finally got a pair of UV-5G plus radios and couldn't be happier!  They far exceeded my expectations! So I want to do the right thing and get my GMRS license,  and also be able to connect to area repeaters but...... the privately thing is driving me nuts. HR'S website doesn't have much information and no phone number to call. Do you pay by the month or year? What happens if after a year I decide GMRS is not for me and cancel my HamRegistry after I already have a license good for 10 years. Thanks, and I'm going to join as soon as I get my license! I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and it feels like home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Guest1

Find a cheap PO Box if possible.

 

Someone else had posted on here, and now myself also, have been trying to cancel accounts.  No way to do it on the website, and getting no response using their email contact.

 

Would not recommend at this point in time.

 

If you go with a PO Box you can try to find the cheapest prices of the different post offices near you using the USPS website

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Capt Mark
1 hour ago, nokones said:

What is your concern or fear if you decide later that you don't like GMRS and what does the HAM registry have to do with GMRS?

Well, I'm not comfortable about having my address so easily obtained by everyone and anyone in this crazy world we live in. (although your mileage may vary) and was told HamRegistry or a PO box would be a work around to getting my license I would be ok with. I can't find any reviews on HR and since I'm new with GMRS just wanted to know what my options were if I decided down the road I lost interest.  Guest1 pointed me in the right direction as I found a PO box a few towns over for $68. P/Y or $36 for 6 months. Yes, I know a determined person can eventually find what they want, I just would feel better if I at least locked the front door when I'm home. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Guest1

I would still keep the PO Box as long as my license is active because I don’t want my home address published.

 

But If you decide you want to cancel your HR membership well good luck because people don’t seem to be able to.

 

And hamregistry is just the name of the website.  There’s also options for gmrs only.

 

Lastly, get an alternate contact address before you get your license because even if you change your address later on, your previous addresses will still be public.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

If you cancel with them, then following the rules, you would be obligated to notify the FCC of a change of address, since the license is good and  still in effect for the full 10 years.   I do  not think that there is a way to cancel you license .  

Another consideration: will HamRegistry be around for the next 10 years to protect you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guest Capt Mark said:

Well, I'm not comfortable about having my address so easily obtained by everyone and anyone in this crazy world we live in. (although your mileage may vary) and was told HamRegistry or a PO box would be a work around to getting my license I would be ok with. I can't find any reviews on HR and since I'm new with GMRS just wanted to know what my options were if I decided down the road I lost interest.  Guest1 pointed me in the right direction as I found a PO box a few towns over for $68. P/Y or $36 for 6 months. Yes, I know a determined person can eventually find what they want, I just would feel better if I at least locked the front door when I'm home. 🙂

Just so you know your address is public info and VERY VERY easily obtained in about a 30 second internet search.  It will also come up with old address alias’s wife kids parents phone numbers and that’s just the free websites.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Capt Mark

OK, thanks to all for your help and ideas. It gives me something to think about! Again, this forum is a great source of information.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Guest Capt Mark said:

Well, I'm not comfortable about having my address so easily obtained by everyone and anyone in this crazy world we live in. (although your mileage may vary) and was told HamRegistry or a PO box would be a work around to getting my license I would be ok with. I can't find any reviews on HR and since I'm new with GMRS just wanted to know what my options were if I decided down the road I lost interest.  Guest1 pointed me in the right direction as I found a PO box a few towns over for $68. P/Y or $36 for 6 months. Yes, I know a determined person can eventually find what they want, I just would feel better if I at least locked the front door when I'm home. 🙂

There is a flaw in HamRegistry's business model that affects many people that pay to use their service expecting privacy.

However, I am not comfortable sharing this information with an "anonymous" poster that has no skin in the game...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Don't use Hamregistry.org
On 2/23/2024 at 10:09 PM, Guest Capt Mark said:

OK, so I finally got a pair of UV-5G plus radios and couldn't be happier!  They far exceeded my expectations! So I want to do the right thing and get my GMRS license,  and also be able to connect to area repeaters but...... the privately thing is driving me nuts. HR'S website doesn't have much information and no phone number to call. Do you pay by the month or year? What happens if after a year I decide GMRS is not for me and cancel my HamRegistry after I already have a license good for 10 years. Thanks, and I'm going to join as soon as I get my license! I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and it feels like home. 

Beware of HamRegistry.org. I used their services for 6 months, then decided to not use them anymore. There is nothing on their site that lets you cancel them. They don't reply to emails either. I used PayPal to pay them. Since I couldn't cancel my HR account, I decided to cancel my PP account. Apparently, PP is STILL sending them monthly payments from my closed account. I have to dispute the charge every month. Something is seriously wrong with PP and HR. I wouldn't use either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Capt Mark
On 3/5/2024 at 12:14 AM, Guest Don't use Hamregistry.org said:

Beware of HamRegistry.org. I used their services for 6 months, then decided to not use them anymore. There is nothing on their site that lets you cancel them. They don't reply to emails either. I used PayPal to pay them. Since I couldn't cancel my HR account, I decided to cancel my PP account. Apparently, PP is STILL sending them monthly payments from my closed account. I have to dispute the charge every month. Something is seriously wrong with PP and HR. I wouldn't use either. 

So, as a newbie I need help! Besides HR or a PO box are there any other ideas for getting my license and not be worried about my home address out there for all the world to see? And no, I'm not paranoid I just want to do what I can reasonably to keep my ID as safe as I can. I don't even do Facebook. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys (and gals) so much for any input and help you can give me. (And yes, I really am a boat Capt) 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Guest Capt Mark said:

Besides HR or a PO box are there any other ideas for getting my license and not be worried about my home address out there for all the world to see?

The only other option is to give a fake address, but that violates the rules so either Ham Registry or a PO box are the only FCC-acceptable ways to keep your address private.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.