DB20G VS DB25G?

You guys have been really cool to this newcomer. Thanks! I was looking into these two radios for mobile and see that they are almost the same price. So it seems like a no brainer to get the 25. But I have heard that some have had issues with the 25. What say ye? Thanks again! 

6 hours ago, WSBQ451 said:

You guys have been really cool to this newcomer. Thanks! I was looking into these two radios for mobile and see that they are almost the same price. So it seems like a no brainer to get the 25. But I have heard that some have had issues with the 25. What say ye? Thanks again! 

I have two DB-20G radios and love them (approx. 18 watts max).  I don't have any experience with the DB-25G but have heard that it really does not put out 25 watts.

I am in the process of using one of the DB-20G radios and an ammo can like storage container and 12v 12ah battery to make a go-box.

6 hours ago, WSBQ451 said:

Looks like Radioddity has the DB-20G on sale today for $84.99.  That is a great deal.

32 minutes ago, WRPL700 said:

Looks like Radioddity has the DB-20G on sale today for $84.99.  That is a great deal.

Normally $109, so it is a great deal!

I second that I have two of them (actually one DB20-G and one Anytone AT-779UV, the same radio) and no experience with the DB25-G (which is not the same radio at all as the DB25-D DMR Ham Radio that I just received last Monday on sale for $194).

I do know one local GMRS'er who returned the DB25-G soon after he purchased it as he was not happy with it.

You won’t notice any difference in the 5 watts difference.   Even though these are “gmrs” radios the advertised watts it’s usually for vhf. Uhf is usually under vhf watts buy 5ish.  Both will probably do the job.  I don’t know much about the Anytone except one guy in my club loves them.  The radioditty is the same as many qyt and tyt and btech units.   Affordable and worlds ok for the money.  I run tyt 8600s in my trucks because I need the water resistance.  They do great and take abuse well. 

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

I run tyt 8600s in my trucks because I need the water resistance.  They do great and take abuse well. 

That's good to know. I just installed a TYT TH-8600 in my SxS the other day. I was getting good signal reports with it and my Comet 2x4SR antenna on the repeater.

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

I didn't realize it also does MURS. Cool.

Some radios will when unlocked. MURS is in between the 2m band and the public safety band. I just received a Wouxun KG-Q10H quad band hand held radio and did the unlock (for testing purposes only 😉) and it works on 1.25m, 2m, MURS, 6m, 70cm, and GMRS when unlocked. 

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

Not legally, the low power is way too high for MURS.  I was just testing to see what it would do.

I'm not recommending anyone do anything illegal, just nice to know you have many options for coms during a real emergency. 👍

That's why I don't like GMRS radios being locked out of other bands. I'd hate to be in a real life-or-death situation, listening to someone on a band that is locked out of TX while I bleed out. 😮

I know it's not likely to ever happen, but then again, that's the kind of luck I have. 🙁

7 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

I'm not recommending anyone do anything illegal, just nice to know you have many options for coms during a real emergency. 👍

That's why I don't like GMRS radios being locked out of other bands. I'd hate to be in a real life-or-death situation, listening to someone on a band that is locked out of TX while I bleed out. 😮

I know it's not likely to ever happen, but then again, that's the kind of luck I have. 🙁

Agreed.  I will not own a gmrs radio for this reason.   I spend too much time out in the back country to be limited in an emergency. 

2 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

I'd hate to be in a real life-or-death situation, listening to someone on a band that is locked out of TX while I bleed out. 😮

I stumbled into a marathon of the TV series Yellowstone on The Paramount Channel a few months back and it was season 2.

After I watched Season 2 Episode 7, I went back and binged the complete series in a matter of a couple  of weeks (alternating seasons with Succession); I was surprised at how "dark" Yellowstone was!.

50 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

I stumbled into a marathon of the TV series Yellowstone on The Paramount Channel a few months back and it was season 2.

After I watched Season 2 Episode 7, I went back and binged the complete series in a matter of a couple  of weeks (alternating seasons with Succession); I was surprised at how "dark" Yellowstone was!.

Yeah, not many truly good guys.